Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Changes...

This picture seems like it is from another lifetime.

About two weeks into treatment, Elena's hair started falling out.

In day to day life I don't remember Elena ever really having hair - I don't even think about it. But, when I look at pictures of Elena pre-diagnosis, I really miss her hair.

*Sigh*

I know its a very trivial thing in the big picture and that it will grow back. But, still, I miss it.

Funny thing now is that if she did have her hair, I think a lot of days I would forget that anything was wrong with her.

Right from the get go, we started talking to Elena about how her hair was going to fall out. We were worried that she would be really sad. When we were discharged from the hospital the first time, we were sent home with a book called, "I'm a Superhero", that was written by a cancer patient and his mom. It talks about cancer in little kid terms - the cancer is "the monster", the chemo is "the army of good guys", there's a battle going on inside your body, etc. Eric would read that book to Elena before bed and talk to her about it - although he adapted it a little for her, making the main character, "Princess Elena". One night, he talked to her about how the good guys, Chemo, would make her hair fall out. It was a really sweet, sad conversation. I only caught the end of it, but here it is:





This picture was taken minutes before she pulled out the first clump of her hair, during our second hospital stay.
Her hair would get really nappy in the hospital and I had just washed it and put it in pigtails. That last brushing must have been the final straw because within half an hour of that, she started pulling huge clumps of hair out. It was a little distressing to her at first - mostly I think, because of the steroids and how bad her mood was. She was pretty despondent. After a while it downgraded to just annoying. And finally, she didn't care at all.


Here is a picture of what it was like after about a week. Can you say: Smeagol, precious? :)
More fell out after that until there was just a very few weird wispy patches and then we decided to shave those off.


Much better. :)
Her hair will probably start growing in slowly during the maintenance phase in about 6-8 more months. But it's kind of a "one step forward, two steps back process" because she will still be getting chemo once a month for 2 years after that. So, we're not expecting a full head of hair again until Kindergarten. We'll see. We love our brave little girl! She is so sweet. We were worried about how she would take losing her hair. But, she has done so well. Now, every once in a while she'll feel her head or go to brush her hair and then stop and say with a smile, "I don't have any hair!" It makes us laugh. Thank heavens she is a resilient little kid and not a self-conscious teenager - there is another blessing in the timing of this ordeal! And also, thank heavens for cute hats and bows! :)


7 comments:

Amy said...

I loved reading your account of this experience. You guys are so special--we continually pray for you all!

Anna said...

Eric what an awesome Dad you are. What a conversation to have to have with your baby! Thanks for sharing this story. Your optimism and positive tone are really great. Thank you!

Liz said...

For some reason, the hair was the hardest thing of all for me to contemplate. I guess it's because hair is such a big deal to a girl, and to a mom. It's been wonderful to see how not sad or devastated or embarrassed or any of those other emotions the rest of us would feel, Elena is. "Hmmm, no hair," she says, as though she was commenting on her lack of shoes or the color of her dress.

I'm loving reading your story, and reliving the experience. Thanks for sharing this.

The Reil Family said...

what a special little girl! i have a little surprise for her - ive actually had it for a month but i keep forgetting to mail it! i hope she likes it :)

thank you for sharing all of these experiences - i think they make all of us appreciate life and health and family more.

Christy said...

oh my word, that video made me cry. eric, you are awesome! we talked about this last night-- it's so normal now but a little hard to see the pictures of before her hair fell out.

i do love that she says "i don't have any hair!" SO MUCH. :)

and i love that pink hat. watch out elena, it will be mine someday. :)

Lisa said...

That video is so sweet. You don't think how much "hair" really effects a person, or how people look at you. I'm so glad she was over it- and I'm lovin' that hat! What a sweetheart. And that pic of the 2 little baldie's- priceless!

Amy said...

I am so glad Elena has been so happy since that first month and that losing her hair seems to be harder on us adults than her. That video was very sweet and made me teary. Through all of this I find myself thanking Father that I get to be her aunt, that I get to know her. Wish my kiddies didn't get sick so much so that we could be with you guys more.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06