Well, this really should probably be titled something like random news Thursday, but oh well...
-Today I got rear ended. I was sitting at a stop light, watching the oncoming trafic and waiting to turn right. All of a sudden it felt like I had popped the clutch and killed the car and there was a big crunch. But don't worry, we are all ok - Elena didn't even wake up. And the car isn't too badly damaged - just a crack in the back that is going to be fixed in a few weeks. But, I decided that I don't like accidents because I am no good at confrontations and I just want the other person not to feel bad.
-I got a new calling on Sunday. I'm now the Primary pianist. Its pretty much the perfect calling. I get to have fun playing the piano (fun, easy children's songs, no less), it's pretty much just a "Sunday-only" calling, and I am in primary, but not having to deal with the kids. (Yes, I know - I am evil.)
-Last night, we had the first of our monthly emergency preparedness enrichment classes. From the activity, I've decided that canning is a very important emergency prep skill to have. I don't know why, but for some reason that never occured to me. Really though, it is very important to have the knowledge and skills to be able to do that in order to preserve food for your family through the winter months and since canned food lasts so long, it is a good way to build up your food storage. I've never has any experience with canning before, but there is a lady in my ward who offered to teach me. So hopefully, I can get some new skills here in the next month or two.
-On that note, last night I learned a great recipe for making canned salsa (is that the right way to say that?). It is salsa that you make in a big batch, use some right away and then can the rest and save for up to two years. Anyone want to practice with me? :)
-For anyone that hasn't heard, Elena's birthday party is going to be on Friday, October 3rd at 7pm at our house.
Glow Stick Baby
2 days ago
6 comments:
that SUCKS that you got rear ended. but at least it wasn't your fault so you won't have to pay to get your car fixed.
congrats on the new calling! one more hoffman in the primary. i'm the primary secretary and i also like that i don't have to deal with kids (much). plus i get to make excel spreadsheets, and who doesn't love that. :)
so sad we're missing elena's b-day! crazy that she's one already.
Doesn't really count as an official blog entry if there are no pic's of my granddaughter...
hello.... I 'm sorry to hear about your accident, glad no one was hurt.
You evil person you, not wanting to deal with those precious primary children ;0).
can't wait for party time...see you in a couple of weeks. love to all mom
update about the car situation: it is all turning out pretty well - within twelve hours of getting hit, we found out that they are accepting 100% liability, paying for 100% of the repairs, and paying for me to have a nice rental car while our car is in the shop. The insurance company has been absolutely wonderful to work with - they have been bending over backwards for us. I'm very pleased.
I know how to can, so I could teach you how as well. I haven't done it in quite a while, but I grew up canning cherries and peaches with Grandma, and then as a younger mom canned tomatoes and beans.
Glad you get a great calling. I just got put in as one of the counselors....just in time for the program. Yikes.
I would love your canned salsa recipe. Please share. I was hoping to have TONS of tomatoes from the garden to can this year, but no such luck, darn it. I agree canning is a great skill and one I hope to master someday (along with an abundant garden).
Anna: Here's the salsa recipe-
-1 1/2 gal. or 16 qts tomatoes (approx 17 large tomatoes) peeled and diced
-3-5 jalapeno peppers, peeled, diced (include the seeds), how many just depends on how spicy you want it
-4 Anaheim peppers, cut off stems and dice
-10 1/2 ounces whole green chiles, diced
-3 1/2 large onions, diced
-3/4 cup white vinegar
-2 T salt
-2 T sugar
-1 T garlic
First, take jalapenos and put on an old cookie sheet or broiler pan (the oils will soak into the pan, so use an old one or line with foil). Broil, turning 2 or 3 times until skin is brown. Take out of oven and put in platic bag, then wrap the bag in a towel to keep warm and let steam so the skins will be easy to remove. Let steam for 15-20 mins. Peel and dice.
Then combine all diced ingredients (you can just put whole ingredients in the food processor to make it faster - its up to you) and cook uncovered in stock pot for 2 hours. To cook: bring mixture to a rolling boil and then turn down to medium heat for 2 hours. (It must stay boiling - not a rolling, rapid boil, but a boil for the whole two hours).
Put in pint or quart jars and process for 10 mins. (This is where you get into the whole canning thing... you use your canning steamer pot to process the filled jars. Then turn jars upside down until you hear the lid pop.) Salsa can be stored for up to two years.
Hope this makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Post a Comment