Monday, August 17, 2009

Gotta love big families!

So, here is a funny little story from the other day, with a statistic that will make you say "wow!".

I was talking with the lady who does cub scouts with me, who happens to also be pregnant. They are having their first girl after five boys and are very excited. We were talking about girl's names that they like and she was telling me how they had finally found a girl's name that they like and that also hasn't been used by anyone on her husband's side.

"Well, this is the 105th grandchild for them- since he is the youngest of 17 children. So it's hard to find a name that hasn't already been used!" she explained to me.

105 grandchildren!!? Holy buckets- that's a lot! But, I guess that's what happens when there are 17 kids all having babies. Sheesh!

7 comments:

Anna said...

That poor mother. How can a human body possibly bear that many children. My body is shot after four! But that would be a fun family reunion!!!!

Liz said...

Wow, That's incredible! Can you imagine Christmas shopping for all those little ones?!

Joseph & Shaylee said...

Holy Cow! 105? man that makes my big family look small! Here's one a little less impressive, Joe's grandma passed away at 95 (a couple weeks ago) with 10 children, 35 grandchildren 47 great grandchildren and 17 great great grandchildren.

Amy said...

Wow! Now, I'm wondering what the name they found is!!

Eric said...

Amy, I thought the same thing you did. Their names are Matthew, Aaron, David, Daniel, Joshua, and the newest will be Saralynn. All good names, but I was expecting something more like taishenanana.

Christy said...

yowza! that is NUTS!

Amy said...

That's like Ry's family. His grandma only had 8 children, but they all reproduced A LOT. So there are over a hundred grandchildren. I know like 5 of my cousin-in-laws:)

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06