Thursday, November 5, 2009

Strange Cravings

This pregnancy has been really different from my last pregnancy (so much so, if you remember, that I was convinced I was having a boy this time). One (small) way it has been different is in the foods I have craved.

Last time the top foods on the list were:
  • Hashbrowns (in a big way! just ask Eric, we had hashbrowns like a million times a week)
  • Steak
  • Fruit
  • Cereal
This time the top foods on the list are:
  • Hot dogs
  • Doughnuts (not that I actually eat them a ton, just that they ALWAYS sound really yummy)
  • Juice
  • Fruit
  • Sweets in general
  • Cereal - specifically Raisin Nut Bran and Reese's Puffs (case in point, I'm eating a bowl of Reese's Puffs as I write this)
  • Milk (pretty good for me, since I usually hate drinking milk)
So, I guess there have been a few similarities... cereal seems to be a main staple in any pregnancy. Even during the first trimester, it was the one thing I could look out without feeling sick.

And an interesting side note: two strange food aversions I've had this pregnancy, that I didn't have last pregnancy-
  • salad (I can't stand it! Strange, I know... I'm fine if I eat it at a restaurant or at someone else's house, but if I make it and sit down to eat it - blegh!)
  • sandwiches (again, its the regular old make at home version that I don't like. If I go out somewhere and get a good sandwich, then it's fine.)

So, there you go. What strange cravings/aversions have you had during pregnancy?

7 comments:

Amy said...

that must have been a very special occasion than, that we saw Eric at the store because you wanted a green pepper for your salad!

My last pregnancy I didn't care much for icecream, but whenever we drove downtown past any of the fast food chains, I craved grease....

This pregnancy, I have on occasion craved something salty, or something sweet. And at the beginning, just like last time, something greasy.... strange...

Christy said...

like you, i couldn't STAND homemade sandwiches while i was pregnant. i didn't notice a ton of cravings, except for anything that i didn't have to cook!

Liz said...

I mostly remember eating lots of soda crackers during the beginning of each pregnancy :) And French Fries always sounded good--probably because of the salt.

I don't remember any particular aversions, except those associated with strong smells. Oh yes.

Lisa said...

Isn't pregnancy strange. I'm not pregnant but I don't like homemade salads or sandwhiches as much as resturant ones :)

I too ate a lot of saltines and tums. Gotta love heartburn :)

Anonymous said...

Salsa and anything mexican and spicy with you...
vegies and salsa and healthy stuff with Samantha...
Sauerkraut and german sausage pizza with Dallin...
and I couldn't get enough salsa with Channi.
There were a couple of things I couldn't stand, the smell of raw hamburger or chicken and eggs

Briana said...

mom: hmmm... maybe that explains my love for spicy things and salsa! :)

Us'ens said...

Gosh, I'm surprised that your Mom didn't come out with an orange tinge...I couldn't get enough oranges when I was pregnant with her!! Breakfast, lunch, dinner & anytime in between!
With Uncle Trev, it would have to be the spicy, mexican type food...or pasta...
Love you, Sweetie!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06