Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Conspiracy?

Sometimes I swear that Elena and her two little girl cousins that live nearby get together and form evil plots against their parents. What is it this week?

My little niece Sophie has stopped taking naps in the last week or two (so says her mom). What has Elena started doing this week (out of NOWHERE, I might add)?

Refusing to take naps.

Oh, she stays in her room for about an hour and a half to two hours, mostly just playing in her crib and jabbering away. But she doesn't sleep. She started doing it yesterday and did it again today. And while I'm sitting here typing this, she is again awake and playing in her crib after we put her down for bed at her regular bedtime an HOUR AND A HALF AGO! What the heck?!

Not amusing. Ever since Elena hit about 6 months old, she has been a terrific sleeper. She was absolutely terrible before that. But now she is a pro- like she sleeps 10-12 hours at night and then take a 2-3 hour nap during the day, without fail.

So, the only solution I can come up with is that this last weekend, when everyone was together for Christmas, Sophie must have told her little cousins about how cool it is not to take naps.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is just a weird, glitchy couple of days like we've had occasionally in the past and that by staying strong I'll win this battle. Maybe I'm a bad mom, but I'm REALLY not ready to give up naps.

Meh. Go to sleep, Elena.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Good luck with convincing Elena to go back to naps. One day they just stop--and it's always too soon and always before you're ready!

Love you!

Christy said...

oh no!!!!! this is terrible! i am so very sorry of the evil influence sophie has had on elena. but i will tell you something that may make you feel better. i had seriously given up on naps, but just yesterday sophie was sooo onrey, so i put her down, and she slept for two hours again!!! and today she's napping as i type this! so i'm thinking it may be hit and miss (and maybe just because she's sick), but there is hope for us. :) you are not a bad mom. i'm pretty sure i'd make my kids nap until they're 18 if i could control it.

Briana said...

christy: you're right - there is hope! :) Elena started taking naps again :) hopefully it lasts! and hopefully sophie's naps last as well!

Anna said...

Clara is a totally sporadic/bad napper. This is because she is the youngest of 4 and her schedule happens to be ruled by older siblings and not her needs. It is a pity. I think with more sleep she could be kind of sweet sometimes. I put her down still, when I can handle the fight. Then she mostly just plays and destroys her room for a couple of hours. But she is EVIL and AWFUL and UNBEARABLE most of the time and really could use a nap.
I hope Elena gets back in the nap groove.

Amy said...

A hopeful thought. I was terrified of Jo giving up naptime. Because I NEEDED that time alone. But as Jo has started to transition out of naptime (she probably takes one every other day or every three days now) it's been no biggie. She's old enough to entertain herself so I can still have a break. Sometimes I even have her play in her room for a long time so I can really get something done (or just relax). Anyway, I know Jo is really good at playing by herself, so maybe this doesn't apply. But maybe it does! If Elena can play for 1.5 hours in her crib.... good luck!

Mireya said...

Oh Elena, what a cutie! Hope she gets back to the napping!

Lisa said...

Man, I miss those nap days! But mine are both in school, so I can't complain! She's at that age where she'll be growing up alot over the next year- potty training, moving out of a crib, new baby....

Amy said...

I LOVE the last line---"Meh. Go to sleep, Elena."

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06