The first egg out
Sometimes you are the first egg out
Feel the silky water about.
But then on top all others must crowd
Choking out the air and that beautiful cloud
Your frogy mother without hair
Could not always be there
A little late you have hatched
Smaller but still strong
other Bachelors you see are already about.
Learn and grow you must
while finding your legs
But do not forget, you also must eat.
Too much of your sac has gone waiting your turn.
You grab onto your goal in step with the sun
Your bachelor legs nearly out
On your side you’re left to flop about
See legs were never enough you are told
For to build structures, master’s arms you must hold
The beautiful sun’s been your goal all along
To leap free from this pond on your glorious way
But as ponds become puddles suns rays are what's feared
For without arms and no water tadpoles cannot breath
Just a little more time, faster start and less dreaming
And this little tadpole might not have been left to die alone in the sun.
-Eric
10 comments:
You're a poet, and you know it! :)
Is this about Lily? Or am I looking too into it? I am a little slow...
I appreciate the comment Lisa, not about Lily, but it is meant to be looked into. It is more clear when you are the one who wrote it ;)
See if anyone gets closer before I give hints. If anyone cares to try...
I thought it was about a tadpole... possibly living in your salt water tank... because they live in salt water. P.S. Thanks for the help with taxes! Done. Feels good:)
Yes paying taxes is good. It makes me feel patriotic...
No tadpoles don't live in salt water, but yes it is about a tadpole, but only sort of.
Well, we have had two brave enough to comment. I realize that it isn't excellent, but this is me we are talking about. Probably the last poem I will ever write.
eric: you're a little bit weird. :)my only guess would be tadpole also.
Ok, I've had more thoughts, but I was too embarassed to say :) BUT I'll give it a shot- I say the life of a struggling, runt, tadpole, who struggles to grow as fast as others (kinda the black sheep), and ends up dying. Like how the slow/small one always gets left behind and taken by prey.
Thats what I thought the first time, but thought there had to be a deeper meaning??.... which is why I wondered if it was about Lily; coming into the world early and small, having her trials in life, and how she'll learn and grow. Especially in this crazy world we now live in... But not sure how the dying alone in the sun worked for her ;)!!!
The poem is about me and my collegiate struggle. Graduate school application is due Monday, and GPA may be too little too late...
Yes, the life of a struggling, runt, tadpole, who struggles to grow as fast as others (kinda the black sheep), and ends up dying, is the correct literal interpretation.
See in an area in my mission, it was 100 degrees + every day of the year. When it would rain huge puddles would form and frogs would lay their eggs, and then it was just a race against time. Often there were just a bunch of rotting tadpole carcasses in the street. I think the image was scarred on my brain and I remembered it while feeling pretty helpless the other day. Hence the analogy.
Oh yeah, and Christy, do I make fun of you when you try unsuccessfully to engineer a building???
I can't believe my own mother, the writer, hasn't commented.
You all should read the three other poems I wrote that morning, but they are not appropriate audience approved.
(For some reason the movie industry has started putting "for appropriate audiences" instead of approved "for all audiences" at the beginning of a preview. What does that mean???)
Okay, so I don't necessarily check blogs EVERY DAY! I've been busy . . .
I have to confess that I read the comments before I really read the poem. Mostly because I was trying to figure out if you'd really written it. So, when I read it, I had the advantage of all ready knowing what it meant. It kind of reminds me of a painting I have hanging upstairs, "The Metamorphasis"--painted by the author of the poem at a much younger age.
You've become a man, Eric. We all wish we could go back and do some things differently. But I'm very proud of you and all you're doing. And maybe the graduate committee will look at that GRE and cut you some slack.
Thanks for sharing your poem and its interpretation. It provides a vivid image and touched my heart.
P.S. Your dad laughed out loud at your comment to Christy :)
Love you, Mom
oh eric, i wasn't making fun of you. i seriously thought the poem was about a frog. (poetry never has been my thing) but now that i know it was about YOU and all that i think it is very cool.
I am a big fan. Way to go. P.s. I need to come pick up my keys.
Post a Comment