The other day, my visiting teaching companion stopped by our house while I was at the store, with a chocolate cake for us - just because. Eric told her that I was out and she waited for me a few minutes and then decided to try back later. Before she left, she spotted my ironing pile laying on the couch, scooped it into her arms, asked Eric if he liked starch in his shirts, and told him that she'd bring it back later that night. I was floored when I heard. She is an amazing lady - a recent breast cancer survivor. I love being partnered with her because she has such a great understanding of a lot of the logistics of what we're going through. But besides that, she is also just a neat person to be around. She makes you feel great. She's so attentive to the needs of other people - always looking for what she can do for someone else. I want to be like that, but worry that I'll never reach it. And I'm not even the one with cancer! What's my excuse?
That's our ward for you. Our Bishop always says they'll kill you with kindness. :) And it's true. I could write a book about all the things they've done for us. Even before Elena was diagnosed.
I could also write a book (probably several), listing all the things that our other friends, family, and even strangers have done for us. To sum up and name a VERY few:
- We've had complete strangers see Elena in the hospital and tell us that they will pray for her.
- There have been NUMBERLESS sweet, thoughtful gifts from friends and family. Our day has been brightened so many times by the things we've received.
- Then there have been the cards, phone calls, e-mails, messages, etc. from friends and family that give us so much support and make us feel loved.
- I can't even count the number of meals that have been made for us by ward and family members (another one just tonight!).
- People step in to babysit.
- And we always know that we have help ready and waiting if we need it - from near and far.
I sat down on the couch the other day to nurse Lily and picked up a book to thumb through. It was a recent gift from the primary children in our ward. Their last activity day was dedicated, I guess you'd say, to Elena. They made her a quilt and this book:
It is the sweetest thing - filled with messages and pictures from the teachers and kids in primary.
Some of them made me laugh:

Click on the picture to make it larger and read all the random, funny things this little boywrote/drew.

Some of them made me cry:
And all of them made me smile because they are just so darn sweet:
This one is from the oldest son of the lady who I used to teach cub scouts with. We held scouts at their house and he would take Elena into their backyard and play with her. He drew a picture of them in the backyard playing. It reminded me of times before Elena was diagnosed. He is a sweet boy.
And all of them made me smile because they are just so darn sweet:There is so much good in this world. It is humbling to feel your love and the love of our Father in Heaven.






6 comments:
those messages are so sweet. brought a tear to my eye too. i am so glad you have such an amazing ward. you guys are definitely where you're supposed to be.
ps- i'm excited for tonight!
I was very touched by the primary children's messages. It's so good to know that you belong to a ward where you are loved.
Wow it sounds like you have an incredible ward! That book is too sweet. Good to see you guys this weekend.
Very sweet. I
Yes, Briana I did cry when I first read what your family is going through. You have such a positive outlook... I can't imagine how it must be for a little girl to go through that. But being a mother myself, I'm sure it is even harder for you. I have prayed for her and will keep doing so. I've never met her and I LOVE her so much!
There are so many good people in the world! And I'm so glad they are taking care of you guys and bringing your spirits up :) That book is too sweet.
Post a Comment