Monday, July 12, 2010

Whoa

These two...

Yesterday morning, while the four of us were having some talking/playing/cuddling time in our bed, a scary thought occured to me:

Someday we're going to leave these two kids alone in our house in charge of the rest of their siblings.

Alone. In charge. Babysitting. Whoa.

I was musing about how old Elena will probably be by the time we're done having kids and I realized that she'll probably be old enough to babysit her siblings, with Lily as her second in command.

And that my friends, is a scary thought - leaving my kids totally alone in our house, with Elena only around 12 years old.

I'm pretty sure that I was babysitting my siblings by that age. I felt old enough at the time. But, now, on this end of things - 12 seems pretty darn young!

As a parent, do you leave the house that first time, thinking, "What's going to become of my house?" "Are all my children still going to be alive when I get back?"

I don't know... can you imagine these two alone and in charge? :)




5 comments:

Christy said...

HA! yes, that thought is slightly terrifying. (but imagine how nice it will be not to have to find a babysitter anymore!)

Amy said...

I can DEFINITELY imagine Elena being in charge. She will love it. Remember that sassy picture you posted a little while ago with with bathrobe and sunglasses? She will make the other kids bring her cool and refreshing beverages. And lily will carry the whip if anyone disobey's ELena:) I can't wait to have built in babysitters. My kids will never get to do anything fun on Friday nights! Love it.

Liz said...

You know what's even a scarier thought . . . we left Jenny to babysit her siblings sometimes when we lived in Payson . . . and she entered 4th grade when we moved to Kansas! That would make her 10 at the most. I remember that that she would pack up fun stuff in a bag, don new clothes, and ring the doorbell, in hopes that her siblings would consider her to be a real (fun) babysitter. As I recall, they were not always extremely cooperative.

I have a sweet memory of leaving Jenny in charge one time when we had to take Danny to the ER for stitches. It was a Sunday, and we had been getting ready for church when the accident happened. When we got home, we peeked in the window and saw her with everyone circled around her, singing primary songs.

So yes, I can imagine you leaving Miss Elena in charge-and I'm sure she'll do just fine!

And p.s. if you're looking for a babysitter sometime, I do know a 12 year old who's free most Friday nights:)

Lisa said...

I have many of those scary thoughts with my kids. She'll be a great babysitter, Lily too. Partners in crime/control :) We are able to leave out kids alone for a quick bite or errands. It's SO nice!

Amy said...

crazy thought!!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06