Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I knew I liked my sisters!

;)

Check out the findings of this study (published in USA Today, CNN, ABC and CBS news, US News and World Report, etc.) - that sisters (and siblings in general) give their siblings better mental health.

It was reassuring for me to read the findings of this study because when I first had Lily, I felt like I was cheating on Elena. It's nice to get some reassurance that siblings are good for each other. I especially liked this part:

“Even after you account for parents’ influence, siblings do matter in unique ways,” said Padilla-Walker, who teaches in BYU’s School of Family Life. “They give kids something that parents don’t.”

Even though Lily is still young and Elena and Lily's relationship is fairly new, I've already noticed how Elena can get Lily to smile and be happy when I can't. Little kids need each other. Good stuff.

2 comments:

Christy said...

great study. i already believed this, but now i have PROOF! yesss.

Liz said...

I didn't need to read the article to know this :) Experience has shown me what the article teaches.

Something I did find interesting, was the link to consequences of video game usage. Here is an interesting quote from that article: “Relationship quality is one of a cluster of things that we found to be modestly associated with video games,” Walker said. “The most striking part is that everything we found clustered around video game use is negative.”

Hmmm.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06