Sunday, October 31, 2010

I like it more each year

When I was very little I dressed up and trick or treated a couple of times. From what I remember, I enjoyed it. But my family stopped celebrating Halloween when I was in preschool, I think. When I was still in elementary school and middle school, I remember hating Halloween season because all my classmates and friends would talk endlessly about their costumes and their Halloween plans and I just sat there silently. The days right after Halloween were the worst - I was so jealous watching my friends with buckets and pillowcases full of candy. As I got older, I became mostly apathetic about Halloween.

Then I moved to Utah to go to school. I remember seeing all the billboards (there are tons of them!) for haunted houses, corn mazes, and costume shops and laughing with my roommate (and high school friend), Emily. As a non-native Utahn - with an outside perspective, I have to say that Utahns really get into Halloween. REALLY. It's kind of strange. And then I decided that I needed to take a side - no more fence sitting for me - and that I wasn't just apathetic about Halloween, but that I officially didn't like it. It wasn't the holiday for me. I don't like dressing up, I detest painting my face (some weird psychological thing from when I was a kid... I don't even like carnival face painting. It embarrasses me. It's weird, but who knows? When I figure it out, I'll let you know.), I hate the gory side of it, and I get scared way to easily anyways, so no need to do extra things to freak myself out.

Then I married Eric. And I suppose if you're looking at me marrying Eric in the light of "enjoyment of Halloween", that is the greatest irony ever. (But if you look at me marrying Eric in the light of everything else, it is the most awesome thing ever! :))

My family doesn't celebrate Halloween. His family goes all out for Halloween.

I hate Halloween. He loves, loves, LOVES it.

Ironic, no?

Eric loves Halloween a lot. It's a definite competitor right up there with Christmas for his favorite holiday. If it didn't sound evil :), I'm pretty sure he would admit that it is his favorite holiday. He loves dressing up (face painting is a must), he loves trying to get scared and reveling in the spooky, creepy stuff, he is a dry ice wizard (seriously, you should see the things that boy can do with dry ice) and loves decorating and going all out.

Well, recognizing how important Halloween is to Eric, I've tried (I really have) to be a supportive wife year after year when Halloween comes around. And each year, I think I get a little better. I've really tried to make big strides the last couple of years after really learning just how much it means to him. After a very successful Halloween last night, I've come to the conclusion that I like it a little more each year. :) We really had a blast this weekend celebrating Halloween. As the evening was winding down last night, Eric and I both turned to each other at different points and excitedly burst out, "This has been a lot of fun!"

We kicked things off with Eric's parents annual Halloween Party on Friday night. I was a witch, Eric was either a half of a ring wraith or half of a mummy :), but mostly he was a student who's going crazy with his workload(!), and Elena and Lily were ladybugs. Like I said, Eric's parents go all out and we had an amazing Halloween spread of pumpkin stew, bony fingers, witches brew, a "meathead" (it was so gross and so awesome all at the same time :)), and Frankenstein cupcakes. We had a blast laughing our heads off with everyone (the Sound Effect Game and Nacho Libre impressions) and playing games.

On Saturday, we had plans to get a little trick or treating in ourselves and to also hopefully play host to some trick or treaters. Our house was decked out (we got some awesome decorations from a friend of my mom) with orange Halloween lights, spider webs, a flickering black candelabra, spooky lit up trees, a bubbling cauldron (dry ice), and several very awesome pumpkins. We had about four trick or treaters. Oh well. :)

It was raining like crazy about the time that we were planning on getting started with our trick or treating, so we decided to wait it out for a bit to see if it stopped. Here are our little trick or treaters:

Lily was pretty much the cutest little ladybug in the history of the world. It was a fitting costume because we always call her our "little Lily bug".



Elena decided that she wanted to be Princess Belle. She cracked us up when we were trick or treating, people would say, "Bye Elena" and she would turn around and say, "No, call me Belle."

While we were waiting, Elena put herself down for a nap. This new chemo is starting to hit her.


And Lily had some fun playing around with Dad and Mom.

Then it was Lily's turn for a nap. Elena woke up shortly after that and our Chinese food arrived and we had a picnic in the living room. Again, this new chemo is hitting Elena and she didn't really eat much - her appetite was way down. It always gets me after she has been on steroids and wants to eat everything. She was however very interested in the fortune cookies. :) I was a very, very happy lady because after years of searching, we FINALLY found a Chinese place in Utah that has the right kind of BBQ pork! :)

The rain cleared up and we decided that we had better head out. We had to wake Lily up from her nap:

Is it bad that Eric and I laugh when we see this picture? :)
Ready to go!
It only took about two houses for Elena to decide that she LOVED trick or treating. After each house, she'd turn to us and ask excitedly, "And now we go to the next house?!" It was pretty cute!
A dainty little princess. :)

We went to about fifteen houses - just in a little loop around our neighborhood - but Eric had to carry Elena after about five houses. Darn that chemo. When she started getting tired, she said, "Oh, I am tired. I think I need to go home and take a nap." :) Sweet girl. But, she was out there doing it and she loved it! So, I'd say it was a success.

Elena with her loot. She was one happy lady!

Lily was very cute when we were out trick or treating. A couple of people offered her candy and even though she's (obviously) not eating candy yet, we thought she might like to grab it from the bowl (since she loves grabbing everything) and hold it. We'd let her lean in to grab it and she always went for Butterfingers. It was pretty funny. She was happy as a clam with a Butterfinger in one hand and a sucker in the other. About half way through, she dropped the Butterfinger and started working on opening the sucker. When we got home, she sat very quietly with her back to us for about ten minutes working on the sucker. She never got it quite open. Next year, baby. :)


It was such a fun night!

Happy Halloween!

15 comments:

Piano Mom said...

LOVED the post! I'm with Eric and I'll admit it, that Halloween is my favorite holiday. I just love it so much, but I'm a born and raised in Utah girl, maybe that's why.

I loved the costumes, especially Elena daintly holding her dress up while trick-o-treatin'. So much fun!

I am thankful that Elena and Lilly were healthy enough to enjoy the holdiay.

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween! I hope dad and I didn't scar you for life. I love'd this post. can i just say I have the CUTEST grandchildren in the world! I thought Elena was going to be a lady bug too! oh well she was a beautiful Belle! Yeah for finding bbq pork! is it as good? love you guys... oh how did the witch outfit work send me a picture.

The Copelands said...

Yay! how fun! I love their outfits and I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the holiday more and more:) I don't like the scary stuff, but I definitely love the dressing up and having fun part. And the fact that once Halloween is here, that means the next couple of months are filled with even more awesome holidays! Yay!

Us'ens said...

Well, Genea, yes you can say you have the cutest grandchildren... because that means that I have the cutest GGrandkids!! What precious pics!! That little Lily is THE cutest little ladybug...and, well, what can be said about Elena...she IS a princess!!
Love the pics of all of you...sounds like you had a fantastic time!! Happy Halloween!!
Love to all...

Christy said...

happy halloween! i gotta say, although i am a hoffman by birth, i do not like the really scary, gory parts of halloween. just had to get that out of the way. :) BUT i do love all the fun parts of halloween and i'm glad you are enjoying it more and more, especially considering eric's obsession. :) your girls look SO cute, love the stories, especially the image of lily trying so hard to get the sucker open. sophie is sitting on my lap and she just said, "me too. i love candy too." ha. just from looking at the smiley picture of elena and her candy. seriously though, we only got a few trick or treaters too. dang rain. but now we have ALL KINDS of candy. we should have a post-halloween halloween party!

Lisa said...

not a big halloween fan either. i do like the fun stuff; parties, CANDY, CHOCOLATE!, dressing up... but it does give me the creeps. Lily is seriously the CUTEST ladybug ever. Princess Elena is beautiful. glad you had a fun halloween!!

Joseph & Shaylee said...

Happy Halloween! I am a little bit of a fence sitter,I usually take it year by year. I enjoy the beginning of the holiday season, Halloween closely followed by Thanksgiving,and Christmas!

Thank you for all your comments they mean so much. Your comments are so uplifting. I admire your family and your strength. We're both going through such hard times, and I know sometimes our trials rule our lives, but I am so glad that you and Eric keep up the romance, and enjoy celebrating your own personal holidays. What a great idea,we make sure that we are still dating, it's an investment in our marriage and our sanity some days.

Your girls are really beautiful and Lily is looking pretty healthy, getting some chubby cheeks. Elena was a beautiful Belle. We think of and pray for your family often and hope that all will be well for you. Keep up the hope, I wish I lived closer sometimes so I could help and let you have a break or a nap or something. It's amazing to me how much you are able to document all that has happened, don't you look forward to when they are just memories?

Sending some love and prayers back your way.

Shaylee

Liz said...

For the record, I definitely have limits on what I think is okay for Halloween (or any other time). "Spooky" is okay, but gory isn't. Witches and goblins and ghosts are fun; chainsaws aren't.

And Halloween has definitely grown bigger and bigger in our family. When I was growing up, we didn't do anything except trick or treat, but Dad introduced me to the fun over the years and now I enjoy it as much as he does!

Next year, I'm planning to add some activities for the kids . . .

Ashley&BJ Elliott said...

Cute! I love that lady bug outfit! Makes me wish I had made Lucy a bug of sorts;) I'm glad you like Halloween better now, it's always been a sacred holiday for my family (mainly because of my mom being a costume maker;) This makes me excited for when Lucy can actually enjoy the holiday instead of just looking at us like we're all crazy for dressing weird and hacking up pumpkins!

Amy said...

Hooray for Halloween! So, first, I have to say that I may be closer to Eric's extreme passion for the holiday than I realized. Saturday night when it was raining so hard and we had to wait to go trick or treating I was SO sad. I was totally embarrassed at how sad I was. Finally I left and went into Jo and Tic's room to keep myself busy cleaning and so I could cry without Ryan seeing. Unbelievable! It's just candy their getting! And We've had to totally manipulate Jo's mind to get her to do it anyway. Why was this such a big deal to me? Seriously, tears. Comm'on. I'm an adult (insert picture here of me throwing trick or treat candy on the ground). Anyway, the night turned out totally awesome. Jo was Belle as well. Elena looks so darling! I'm sorry the chemo is draining her right now. She has been the strongest little cancer fighter in the world. I can't believe how sweet she stays through it all. But I don't see her most of the time. Maybe you would say otherwise! And Lily is so so so so CUTE! I love her as a little lady bug! Happy Halloween!

The Hulls said...

Darling little ladybug and darling little Belle!! I love the close up pic of you and Lily with both of your beautiful blue eyes!!

Amy said...

She has got to be the cutest little lady bug in the world! Why did your family stop celebrating Halloween? I'm glad that you're beginning to enjoy it!

I loved the previous post, how Eric took you back up to SLC and to the fountain at BYU (if they ever do remodel and they get rid of the fountain, you guys should have claim of it--you can put it in your yard!!) I can't remember if we did anything special for our 5th engagement anniversary--I'll have to ask Dustin, and when I do, I'll tell him about your activities, and he'll be jealous that he didn't think of something so awesome! :) We are busy trying to figure out how to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary though---any ideas??

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

oh wait, I just remembered.....we did go to coldstone to celebrate--it was special--I do remember him talking about wishing we could go back to the gazebo where he proposed, but of course, it is too far away now :)

Mireya said...

How cute! I laughed out loud too with the picture of Lily screaming and Elena just sitting there smiling at her!!

We just handed out candy this year, lots of trick or treaters. Someone tried stealing our pumpkins but must've thought it was too big to carry because we found it on the other side of our driveway the next morning!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06