On average, a wish costs about $5,000 to grant. Salem Hills had been raising money to support a student at their high school, Adam's, wish. But these amazing kids totally went above and beyond and raised $14,000 and were able to sponsor three different kids wishes! And Elena was one of them. Isn't that number staggering? Kids in high school banded together and raised $14,000! It totally floors me.
We were invited to come to a "Make A Wish Fundraising Wrap-up" assembly on Monday at Salem Hills, where they would honor the wish kids they had sponsored. We had so much fun and Elena was treated like royalty. Elena is still talking about the "high school friends" and the "loud music" and the flag they gave her. :)
While we were waiting for things to start, Elena couldn't take her eyes off of the drill team who was warming up next to us. I think it was the combination of the sparkly uniforms and the dancing. I can't wait until Maintenance gets into full swing and we can get that girl into a dance class!

Adam, the original "wish kid" who Salem Hills sponsored, came up and introduced Korbin and Elena, the two additional wish kids who were sponsored.

Here's Korbin, who has Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Leukemia, and his family on stage. I was trying to hold back tears for a majority of the assembly - it was so sweet! Korbin and his family walked up to the stage to a standing ovation, a deafening roar of cheers, and the whole audience chanting, "Kor-bin! Kor-bin! Kor-bin!" What a tremendous group of kids those Salem Hills Skyhawks are!

Elena received the same treatment - a standing ovation and deafening cheering - when she went up. They made her an honorary Skyhawk and gave her a little gift to remember them by.


Elena charmed the crowd with a wave and saying a little, "Thank you!" into the microphone. :)
There was the greatest energy in the auditorium - they impressed me as compassionate, hard-working, happy, good kids. The love and support we felt from them was tangible. And these were kids in high school!! I'm seriously blown away by their efforts. When I was in high school, I'm pretty sure I was very wrapped up in myself and didn't think much about other people. What amazing people!The rest of the assembly was very entertaining as well:
Elena loved watching the dancing.

Salem Hills is putting on "Les Miserables" and performed two numbers from the show: "Master of the House" and "One Day More" (which we thought was very fitting of them to sing for Eric :) since it was only one day before the due date for his Independent Study classes and he's been working like a mad man. Haha.)

These kids were SO talented! So many of them had really solid voices - they were pretty remarkable for high school students. I couldn't get over how well done it was.
(the music sounds a little sharp in the video - weird recording fluke - it sounded better in person)
I am so impressed by the kids at the high school - especially the student council who organized and did most of the work. What a truly good bunch of people - when we entered the high school, we were surrounded by student council members thanking us for being there and telling us how glad they were that they could help Elena and how excited they were. One of the principals and the student council advisor both told us that this Make A Wish fundraiser is something they take on every year and that their student council has really bonded with and deeply believes in and loves Make A Wish. They told us it had become very personal for all the kids on the student council.

Elena's picture will hang in the Make A Wish Showcase at Salem Hills. I think it is so neat that a piece of her will be there forever. When Elena is all grown up and memories of cancer are far behind us, I want to go back and look at that picture.

Korbin (left), Adam (center), and Elena
Elena's picture will hang in the Make A Wish Showcase at Salem Hills. I think it is so neat that a piece of her will be there forever. When Elena is all grown up and memories of cancer are far behind us, I want to go back and look at that picture.We had such a wonderful experience at Salem Hills yesterday! There is so much goodness in this world. I know a lot of crazy things are happening in this day and age, but I hope nobody doubts that there is so much love and goodness still left in people. That is one of the hidden blessings of this "cancer journey" we have been on - we have been the recipients of so much generosity, love, and compassion. It is overwhelming! That is one of the many things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.
14 comments:
What an awesome high school! That is so much money!!! Holy smokes. Looks like they gave Elena some pretty awesome treatment. Looks like a lot of fun. :)
Your posts always make me cry! That is very cool. There are an astounding number of people who are doing awesome things to make the world a better place. It's a happy thought.
That is so awesome! I am so excited for y'all! I love reading your stories about the good people in this world...gives me hope. I get scared sometimes raising a baby in this world, but your posts always make me feel better:)
this is so neat! ah, i am so impressed by these young people and all the hard work they did so these three very deserving kids could have their wishes granted. i loved seeing the pictures of elena up on that stage (just where she belongs with that outgoing personality)-- i bet they ate her up. this post made me cry happy tears. so wonderful. (and next time elena is the star of a high school assembly, you need to invite us! i would love to see that!)
$14,000!!! What awesome young people!! Just shows what can be accomplished by our youth, when they put their heads together for the good of someone else!! I truly believe that there are more out there like them, we just don't hear about those!! Unfortunate!
But what an experience for all of you...and I think that Elena will always have fond memories of her "high school friends"! She is so wise...beyond her years!! Heavenly Father works in awesome ways! We love you guys! Glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving with the family...perhaps next year, we can ALL be together!
I am amazed that high school was able to raise all of that money. Inspiring!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, your feelings and pictures. And next time--remember to invite me!!!! I would have loved to have been there!
Oh wow, what an amazing experience. I wouldn't have been able to keep a dry eye during that event. I love that Elena is getting such wonderful experiences. I'm glad that you are getting to have some blessings through this tough trial. We love you Elena!
HOW AMAZING! This is such an awesome thing! Thanks for sharing!!
I love this! What a great memory it will be for your sweet family! I am so happy for you guys that you are going to disney world and right after christmas!! Yay! Let me know how it goes and how elena likes it!
Wow, that is awesome!! I love to hear that high school kids are thoughtful, etc... gives me hope! :) so when does her wish come true?
Awesome! So good to hear!
This post totally made me cry! Those high school students rock. Wish I could have been there. And I also agree that there is a lot of good int his world. In Pres. Monson's talk this past general conference he quoted someone else (maybe Joseph F. Smith?) saying that a grateful heart sees there is more good than bad in this world. Makes sense since we KNOW good is winning. I hope Elena's doing alright this morning!
so cool!
Post a Comment