Thursday, December 9, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, part 2: The tree and the kids

Elena helping me decorate the tree
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love having little kids around the share holidays with! Christmas is so much more magical with their excitement and the light in their eyes. Elena has loved decorating, wrapping presents, and talking about things she remembers from last year (when Santa made a surprise pre-Christmas visit to our house and brought her an orange - what a crazy memory that girl has!).

Lily's reaction when she woke up the next morning and saw the tree all lit up. :)
Lily is funny. She wouldn't go near the tree for about an hour. She just sat several feet away and oohed, shrieked excitedly, and pointed at it. When she finally did go over to it, she could have cared less about the ornaments and actual tree, she just wanted to pull fluffs off of the tree skirt to try and eat and break apart the train track. :) She also tried to eat one of the light bulbs. She stuck her whole face up to the light bulb, so it was in her mouth (no hands!) and started to bite down - fortunately I was right there! And fortunately, she's gotten over that fascination. :)


So much for our train this year!
I think it's not realistic with a three year old and 10 month old in the house. Three of the four pieces are currently strewn around the living room with various princess dolls and animal figurines on top of/inside them. And the other one is haphazardly toppled over under the tree. :)

7 comments:

Anna said...

ohhhh, I want a train! How fun!

Christy said...

christmas (and all holidays) is so much better with kids, i agree. i feel like each year keeps getting better and better. if this merriment doesn't stop soon, i think i might explode! :)i love that first picture of elena-- the lighting is perfect! silly lily-- she is looking so much older! i hope she's old enough (big enough) for the little christmas gift i just got her. i can't wait to see it on her! :)

Amy said...

I love your tree as well! We've been going back and forth as to whether we'd put our Christmas tree up this year, because Cameron will just try to pull it down on himself, and we really don't have anywhere to put it to keep him away from it--I guess if you can brave it with Lily, we can brave it with Cameron!! I love all the photos and stories of the ornaments below--both Dustin and I also received an ornament each year from our families, now we do the same in our little family! It is such a fun tradition. This year we're looking for a MSU ornament to represent our new life here in Mississippi!

syellen said...

that picture of Lily is freaking adorable! and I agree that the pic of the tree with Elena is perfectly beautiful!!!

Piano Mom said...

Lilly's expression just kills me!

We have a train similar to yours and it is NEVER on it's track. :) I'm sure that I'll miss the day when the kids stopping hauling it off somewhere to play with it. That will be the sign that their childhood is done.

Liz said...

Your tree looks beautiful, as do the girls. It really is a magical time for children . . . I miss that. Even if it did mean that the presents got unwrapped and the tree undecorated!

Lisa said...

eating lights... that would be a sight to see! Christmas is SO much better with little ones!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06