****Home!! She's got practically no ANC, but she was doing so well in every other way that they said we could just do the IV antibiotics ourselves at home. So, we are here - happy to sleep in our own beds and trying to be really careful with Elena's practically non-existent immune system.****
At a meeting I was at recently, I heard an interesting story. It was brought up how Glad to Give and Cookies for Kids' Cancer (they raise money for pediatric cancer research) were looking for a celebrity spokesperson/"face" to help promote their cause. Celebrity after celebrity turned it down because, "It was too sad!" Joan Cusack heard about it and was upset by people's response and jumped on board. She has no connection with childhood cancer other than being a mom, herself and working on some kid's films (like Toy Story 2&3). She just knew it was an important cause and that someone needed to care and GET OVER IT!
I want to hug Joan Cusack. :)
I couldn't believe this - "too sad"???! I don't remember anyone asking us beforehand or the thousands of other families with a child with cancer if they could deal with having a child with cancer or if it would be "too sad" to handle. Um, nope. What it is is real life. It is reality for thousands of people. It is our reality. It is the reality of dozens of our "cancer friends". The fact is that there are a lot of people in the world who need help/support/advocates. And to turn your head and look the other way is cowardly.
You can click the link on the right to sign up/donate. Thanks! (If you missed the first post on CureSearch, click here to get up to speed.)
And please link to/share this video on your blog, facebook, twitter, etc... e-mail the link to your friends and family, etc. Help us get the word out!
2 comments:
Aw, this makes me cry! Such a sweet video, and such a sad thing to hear about so many celebrities not wanting to help! It is definitely cowardice, and I'm so glad Joan Cusack took a stand.
Also, I'm glad to hear you are home now!
Such a tender video! Thanks for sharing it. I can't believe that about the celebrities, but then again, I can. I've heard the "too sad" excuse a lot about different things/situations-- it really bothers me. I'll post the video when I get a chance!
Post a Comment