Since my birthday was on a Sunday this year, the celebrating spanned a whole weekend. Quite an excellent plan. After this weekend, Eric and I decided that birthday celebrations should always go for more than one day. Elena took two days this year to celebrate hers. I took two days. And I think we'll continue that tradition. Saturday, Eric let me be quite lazy - I slept in, I didn't change diapers or feed children, and I went out for a quiet afternoon of errand running/shopping. Then he picked up our babysitter and we went out on a date.

I told Eric that all I wanted for my birthday was good food and not to cook it. I've already mentioned how I love food - too much. So we headed to Red Lobster to indulge. And indulge we did. Our dinner went something like this:
All gussied up and ready for our date!

(Sorry for the slightly weird picture quality - I had to do my best to edit out the flash in the mirror behind us. :))
I told Eric that all I wanted for my birthday was good food and not to cook it. I've already mentioned how I love food - too much. So we headed to Red Lobster to indulge. And indulge we did. Our dinner went something like this:
Absolutely sinful Shrimp Bruschetta

(Red Lobster's pic, not mine - I was too busy eating)
Virgin Pina Coladas
Caeser Salad
Cheddar Bay Biscuits (love me, those things are good)
and then two shared entrees: Jumbo Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada sauce

(pic from Red Lobster)
and some shell-fish platter of goodness including: Shrimp Scampi, Wood-grilled garlic shrimp skewers, and Wood-grilled petite lobster tails.
(this is it minus the scallops and add in the shrimp scampi)

(pic from Red Lobster)
During dinner we talked about this year and all it's upcoming happenings, things I'd accomplished up to this birthday, how we felt about getting older, etc, etc. It's interesting... more than ever I am painfully aware of my flaws and weaknesses. It's funny how that happens as your kids gets older - I think they're harder to hide. I have a lot of work to do. And I'm still working on that ginormous goal of punctuality. Why is that the struggle of my life? Patience and punctuality - that pretty much sums up my two biggest weaknesses. But, weaknesses aside for a moment, I'd still say that I feel really fantastic about where I am in life - overall.
We are on the threshold of adventure and relief and change this year - Eric's graduation, Elena's end of treatment, etc.- which is very exciting.
I feel closer to the Lord than I think I ever have in my life and I feel like I'm making some progress on various spiritual goals I've set for myself.
I feel - physically - the best I have ever felt (well, other than these darn shin splints :)). No fear here in turning another year older. Last month I finally reached my original weight loss goal of 40 lbs! And this month, I surpassed it by another pound and a half. When I did the "fitness test" (a test that measures your cardiovascular and aerobic fitness - kind of like the maximal oxygen uptake measure) on my new Polar monitor last week, I ranked in the "Elite" level. I feel healthy and strong and just plain GREAT!
As we talked, I realized how at peace I was with where I am. Not that there aren't things I'd like to do differently or to change (remember those flaws?), but I feel peaceful and grateful about what I do have right now. That's a nice feeling to have as you're reflecting on another year of life spent.
On Sunday, I enjoyed many well-wishing phone calls and again got to take it easy around the house. After church, Eric and I set out to prepare my birthday dinner. I had had trouble settling on a meal in the weeks leading up to my birthday. Eric would ask me what I wanted and I was stumped. But after our dinner at Red Lobster, I finally decided on not so much of a typical, structured meal, but rather a smorgasbord of yummy things: homemade bruschetta (more!), tons of fruit (pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, and pomegranates), and Chili's chips and salsa that we had picked up the night before. Totally random, but all awesome.
And Eric humored me by making me these absolutely decadent macaroon-type cookies (recipe from my friend Jen Beebs) to hold my birthday candles. Basically they're a layer of melty shortbread, followed by a layer of a coconut-sweetened condensed milk mixture, and then a layer of chocolate drizzled on top. They are heavenly. This was the first time we'd ever attempted them (I've just always eaten the ones Jen made) and they kind of kicked our trash. They are some high maintenance little cookies and I need some tutoring before I try them again. :) Our cookies crumbled not too long after you picked them up and the coconut layer was a little too "solid", but they still tasted AMAZING.

Then it was present opening time. (Thanks to those who sent such nice gifts and cards!) At the very end, when I thought we were all done, Elena hopped up and said, "Wait, Mom!" as she ran into the living room. She returned a few seconds later with something behind her back. Then she whipped out this card she had made for me:

Elena told me the pictures on the right are (starting from the bottom and going up): suckers, doughnuts, cookies, a cake, and syrup. :)
Eric looked at me, "I didn't know she made that. Did you know?"
I didn't. The little miss had sneakily made me a birthday card all on her own. And I cried, yes I did. I feel like an official mom now - my first time crying over a card/picture/gift from one of my kids. Seriously, I was so touched. I don't know if I've ever loved a birthday gift more. The part that got the tears flowing was the "BRIANA I<3 U" in the top left corner. Something about how no one coached her on that - she wrote the "I love you" part all on her own. I feel like such an awful, weak, failing, lacking mom so often - like I would hardly merit such words unprompted. Her little card meant more to me than I can express.
So, there's the recap of one of the happiest birthdays I've ever had! And to top it all off, yesterday my dear friend from high school, Emily, took me out to Chili's for lunch. I'm so loved! That to all my wonderful family and friends for making it a birthday too good to not document. :)

12 comments:
You look awesome! Seriously. Happy Birthday. And I had horrid shin splints and finally went to a physical therapist. It rocked my world and changed it forever. I highly recommend it. I just couldn't ever accomplish my goals until then.
You are looking mighty fine in all of those photos, my dear. I'm oober happy for my brother that he got such an attractive wife. And you are wearing one of the stinking cute headbands we made(when will we make more?! I'm wearing them everyday and almost had to repeat today- which seems like a big no no!). I seriously am so happy that you are my sister-in-law. When I was preparing my lesson for RS last week one of the questions from the manual I had on my mind was, "who is someone who truly lives their religion?" And I kept coming back to you. You are wonderful. I love you! Elena's card is pretty much the sweetest thing I've ever seen.
Well happy birthday! I'm so glad you're so happy! You're fabulous and amazing and wonderful and you totally deserve it!
Happy Birthday Briana, I was thinking about you on the 8th! January sure is an exciting month for us--Happy anniversary to you today! That sounds like a great birthday! Question: with all of your weight loss, what do you do about the extra skin?? I'm having trouble with the extra skin left over from my pregnancy.
So glad you had such a great birthday! It sounds wonderful! (And I understand about the crying over a child's gift thing. Yes, I do!) You're wonderful, and if your worst weakness is punctuality . . . well, I'd be happy to stand beside you in line to meet Heavenly Father. I can see it now: Here's the line for murderers, the line for adulterers, the line for liars, the line for just plain mean people. And there's the line for the punctually challenged. Uh huh. Love you, Briana! You inspire me in so many ways.
So fun! Congrats on your weight loss, you look beautiful, though you always have! I'm glad your birthday was a lot of fun, I'm not huge on birthdays but they are a fun excuse to be catered to;)
i am interested in hearing more about your philosophical feelings on birthdays, because yes, that was rather cryptic. :)
i am so glad you had a wonderful birthday-- you certainly deserved it! i love elena's note and that she wrote it all by herself. what a sweetie, and what a good idea to take a picture.
i'm so impressed by all the progress you've made in the past year... how do you do it all, briana? you are amazing! i feel like i just survive a lot of the time, and here you are getting in mad shape, growing spiritually, not to mention beating elena's cancer and supporting eric all at the same time. you are incredible.
finally, those cookies look amazing. yum.com sistah.
This may have been my favorite post you have ever written! What a fabulous birthday! That story about Elena really touched me, I can't believe she did that all on her own. What a sweetheart. Happy Birthday Briana, I think you are totally amazing!
P.s. I'm pretty sure your shin-splints need to quit so you can train for a half marathon with me this summer! Do it, do it lady! (That sounds like something you would say). :)
Happy happy birthday to you!!! Sounds like it was a fun day, and a good year. Getting older definitely isn't as scary as it sounds sometimes. I turn 30 in May and I'm actually kind of excited for it. (Did I just say that??) You guys are looking amazing! When are you going to share what's worked for you? Sometimes hearing other peoples' success stories is inspiring enough to get me in line. :) But no pressure. Elena's hair is looking so cute! You guys have a wonderful family. Here's to another great year!
Happy Birthday! And you look amazing! I noticed it the other day when reviewing your blog and you were finally in a picture--all us moms know how that goes--and I was soooo excited for you! way to go!
Happy Birthay to You have a fun day;)
I have been an absent blogger and I can't believe how much I've missed! First of all, your girls are beautiful! And congratulations to Eric! I'm so happy to hear that Elena is doing so great! And can I say I am SO impressed with how gorgeous you look?! I just started the weight battle (for real this time) and have lost about 10 pounds, but I have 40 more to go. Any tips, please share!
Post a Comment