Thursday, October 4, 2012

FIVE!

Today Elena turns 5 years old! It's hard to believe. This year, in the weeks leading up to her birthday, I have been overwhelmed with gratitude and awe that she is with us. That we are celebrating this birthday. She was two and a half when she was diagnosed and now she is turning five. We are so grateful for three more birthdays we've been able to celebrate since then. Three more! I think her birthdays are always going to feel like something of a miracle to me.

Elena has been through wayyyy more than most five year olds. She is a pretty amazing kid! Last night she and Eric were talking about her birthday today and that she'd be turning five.

Eric said, "You've done a lot in five years, Elena! Like cancer and moving and-"
Elena added, "Yeah, and I didn't die!!"

What can you say to that?! We sure love our smart, brave, funny, strong, crazy girl. Happy Birthday! And many more!



9 comments:

Liz said...

What a wonderful day to celebrate! Happy birthday to Miss Elena! Wish we were there to help celebrate. A package is on the way, unfortunately late--as everything from me seems to be these days! Give her a big hug from Grandma & Grandpa!

Amy said...

Hooray for Elena! Oh how we wish we could be there to help her celebrate. She is such an angel. And very expressive. I'm sure with all the extra excitement of the day there will be many grown up and hilarious thoughts shared. Remember her tangled party where she had to tell us the entire story before we could do anything else? I love her and we are thrilled that we'll get to see her so soon!

Love, the Strongs

Nana's Spot said...

Elena...Happy Birthday! Great-Grandpa Hoffman and I will be excited to see pictures of your birthday. I'll bet you will look cute! We love you!

The Hulls said...

Happy Birthday to beautiful little Elena!!! Loved reading all about her, such a sweet beautiful girl!

Us'ens said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Elena!! Sorry this greeting is late, but I was thinking about you!!
Hoping that you had a wonderful day, I know that you did!!
Gosh, 5 years old!! Hardly seems like yesterday that Grammi was heading out to be with Mom when you were born!! How exciting that was!
We love you!! Hugs to you, Dad, Mom & Lily...

Christy said...

when she was here last time she was saying how strong she was and then she said, "I beat cancer!" it was really cute.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELENA! we love your outgoing and happy personality! you bring light to everyone around you! i hope it was a great day.

Ryan said...

Happy freakin burrthday, from your Uncle Ryan.

Anna said...

Yay! Happy birthday!

Ashley Elliott Photography said...

Out of the mouth of babes:) How awesome, she has gotten so big!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06