Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Snow White and A Horse

Halloween was a bit of a new experience this year in sunny Arizona. We didn't have to bundle our kids up for Trick or Treating or worry about snow! It seems like it's usually about 50/50 in Utah whether it'll snow on Halloween night. And I have to say, temperate trick or treating weather is one thing about Arizona that I don't mind.

We had a lot of fun celebrating this year! We started things off the week before Halloween at our ward Halloween Party. Eric went as Batman (but I totally forgot to get a picture) which all of his cub scouts loved, the girls had fun practicing trick or treating, and I won the ward Pie Contest with my berry pie! I never win anything and I didn't have very high hopes because of a little pie crust mishap that happened en route to the church. But as soon as I took the first bite of my pie I didn't even care if I won or not because I was lost in yummy berry pie fresh out of the oven goodness. It was a little bit tasty. And then I won! Hooray!

To kick off Halloween week, we carved our family pumpkin. Elena picked out the design, Eric and the girls dug out the innards, I roasted the pumpkin seeds, and Eric finished off the carving.




On Halloween Day, we started the evening's festivities with a fall-worthy feast....

The table decked out and waiting for us

Halloween sights around our house

....And then we hosted a few trick or treaters, hopped into costumes... 

Elena decided several months ahead of time that she wanted to be Snow White - not totally sure why. She has never even seen the movie. But the idea stuck for some reason. We got some black hair spray and she made a very cute Snow White. (The pose was all her own. I think she may have a future as one of the princesses in Disneyland.)

Since Lily is still too young to care a lot about her costume, we took her out to the costume box in the garage and gave her the choice between the two costumes that fit: a Dutch Girl costume (circa my childhood) and a Horse costume (that Elena wore back in 2009). It was a tough call - she was adorable in both. But, Miss Lily is pretty interested in horses right now and she said, "War-sey!" (Her pronunciation of horsey.) So war-sey it was.



This picture cracks me up every time I look at it. :D I was trying to get a picture of me with the girls, but we were having a hard time fitting everyone in the frame. Finally we got this one. Hahaha.

There's Lily!

Eric and I even donned capes (a compromise - he likes to go all out and I like to not dress up :))

...And then we set out for some trick or treating of our own!


At the Griffin's house

We were really surprised to see about 50% of people sitting outside their houses having Halloween parties or even just sitting in lawn chairs with their candy bowls. At first we were puzzled and then we realized, it must just be a warm climate thing. People sit outside to meet trick or treaters because they can! No snow! This house was pretty happening with a bonfire, music, "adult" drinks :), and a whole row of about 12 different adults all passing out candy. The kids hit the jackpot there!

And then we got home and sorted through the loot. Lily did quite well as far as non-chocolate (dairy) items went. She started telling people about halfway through trick or treating: "Trick or Treat! I can't have milk!" She is silly and adorable and I want to hug her all day long.

 Elena played it very cool and smart - she sat quietly and didn't ask or say a word, just started downing candy. She is nobody's fool. Don't draw attention to yourself and you can eat more than if you ask permission. :)

Double-fisting the treats. Oh yeah.

And now on to the BEST TIME OF THE YEAR!!!!

6 comments:

Amy said...

I love all those pictures!!! I agree-Elena definitely has a future as a Disneyland princess!!

Anna said...

Warm would be dreamy!!!!! Cute girls.

Liz said...

Wow! That pumpkin is amazing! I so missed having you here with us this year--and by the way, it was a gorgeous Halloween, in the 70's! Can't beat that! The girls look adorable, and Eric looks happily spooky!

Nana's Spot said...

Your blogs with pictures and words are wonderful. It so makes us feel closer. We miss you. It snowed and blew yesterday, just what NJ people needed after last week! We're fine. Thank you so much for the pictures. You are so good about celebrating holidays. It must be fun to be in your family.Give the girls our love...and Eric too...and you tooo!!

Christy said...

elena's black hair is awesome. her haircut is perfect for snow white too.

i am very impressed with your pumpkin carving skills.

looks like much fun!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, they both look so much older! And Elena's hair is so long! I love their costumes. Sounds like it was a fun Halloween. I'm super jealous the yours was so warm. We were freezing!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06