Thursday, March 14, 2013

We had really big smiles

In quite possibly the cutest thing she has ever done (little baby smiles and first steps included), Elena made us  dinner on Saturday.

I was out picking up some groceries at the store before Eric had to leave to Dominos for the evening. Eric was reading a book when Elena came up and started talking to him. At some point the conversation turned to this:

Eric (joking): "I'm hungry. Elena, you should make me some dinner."
Elena: "Well, I have an idea of what I'd like to make, but I don't know all the ingredients."
Eric: "What do you want to make?"
Elena: "Black beans and rice. But I don't know all the ingredients for the beans. Maybe you could text Mom and she could tell us the ingredients."
Eric: "I know the ingredients for the black beans, Elena."
Elena: "Well, maybe you could just text mom and she could tell us."
Eric: "I can tell you the ingredients. We don't need to text mom."

At this point Elena ran out of the room and Eric, thinking she'd lost interest in the subject, chuckled and went back to his book. A few minutes later, Elena came running back into the room with a piece of paper and a pencil.

Elena (handing Eric the paper and pencil): "Dad, I got the rice started. But I don't know what to do next for the beans. Could you write down the recipe for me?"
Eric (double takes and decides he better go out and see what is going on in the kitchen): "Sure. You need garlic, sugar, salt, and onion."

Then the two of them went out to the kitchen, where Eric noted that Elena had indeed started the rice. She got out the rice cooker, measured out rice, added (who knows how much) water, plugged in the rice cooker, and turned it on. Add "cooking rice" to the list of things she can do by herself, apparently. News to us. She is watching - crazy and humbling! Eric pulled a chair up to the stove and supervised as Elena proceeded to follow his list and make the beans all by herself (he did turn on the stove for her, though :)). She followed it perfectly - although she did decide to substitute onion powder because we were out of onions (I was grocery shopping, remember?).

I got a chuckle at the kitchen all modified with chairs and stools to help a pint-sized cook reach important places. 
(Be kind and ignore the mess. :) Does anyone else find that by Saturday early evening with the whole family home and out of the normal routine, their house has completely fallen apart? Or is it just me?)

I walked in as Elena was very proudly plating my food.


 Sweet, sweet girl (I also got a kick out of the portion size she dished up :))

Her "recipe"

Our very proud little chef

Eric had to add a tad more water to the rice for it to finish cooking, but the meal overall was quite good. Elena even garnished everyone's beans with some cheese. The little finishing touches just killed me. And while we were eating, after we'd thanked Elena for making the food, Elena (in a very polite and grown up voice) said, "I'm glad you like it."

I couldn't stop smiling during dinner - it was one of my favorite meals I've ever eaten. First off, I was just blown away and tickled to death that she thought it up and cooked it 98% all by herself. Seriously. She is a very bright, creative, responsible little lady. I was glad that it was just her and Eric at home, so she could have the experience. I tend to me a major control freak (to an unfortunate fault) and probably wouldn't have let her have so much freedom in the kitchen. And secondly, I was so touched by her sweetness in making dinner for all of us. She is such a dear. It was a little thing, but it was one of "those" nights and I really had no clue what to make for dinner or any desire to make anything. And Eric had to rush out the door early to work. It really was quite a fun little surprise. And a simple meal of beans and plain rice tasted infinitely better than usual because of the sweet little chef who prepared it.

11 comments:

Kenny said...

that is so super cute! what a smartie!

Kenny said...

oops, this is samantha, not kenny

Amy said...

Oh my word! this is the cutest thing I've ever heard. Ever. Ever ever. I love Elena. Cannot wait for the family reunion when all these little cousins can be together again! Do you think Elena might make me some goodness sometime? She is a sweetheart.

Briana said...

Amy: Elena constantly (and I mean constantly) is telling me how much she missed Jo. And asking me how many more days until the family reunion so she can visit Jo. She's a little excited. She misses Jo something fierce.

Amy said...

Way to go Elena!! How fun! Now you can put her on the job chart, as the meal maker once in awhile. :D

Anonymous said...

wahoo!elena

are you going to make dinner for me when i come to visit?

Liz said...

I don't know which made me smile more--Elena suggesting she text you for the recipe, or her saying she'd started the rice! I can only imagine Eric's thought process at that moment! She's such a dear!

Courtney said...

Adorable! Next thing she'll be babysitting!

Chelsie said...

That's awesome and adorable. She looks so great! Love it.

Anna said...

Oh my gosh, she is amazing! And so stinking cute. I love her glasses. Clara's down to her last ugly pair. But seriously, that is amazing!!! Way to go chef Elena.

Christy said...

that is so stinking adorable. i love it! i'm with you though, i never would have let this cuteness emerge with all my OCD tendencies. it's good these kids have dads to balance our ways out. :) good work elena!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06