Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ode to Pierre

Ah, dear readers... last night as we went to feed our fish before going to bed, we discovered a sad thing. Pierre, our first beta, was dead. There he was... the little guy.... just floating behind a rock in the back of the aquarium. (Apparently he had been dead for a little while because all of his pretty fins and little scales were gone - just his little flesh and bones were left.) Poor Pierre. He was looking pretty old, so I guess it was his time.

An Ode to Pierre

Pierre, Pierre with fins so long and blue-
You were our first beta - it is true.
In your youth, you puffed out your fins and loved to look
At your reflection - what joy you took!
You fought bravely against your foes (the angelfish).
That they not hurt your beautiful tail - your only wish.
You survived the night of 100 degree water
With more skill and strength than even an otter.
You wooed many women (well maybe just one),
Ate lots of food, swam miles, had lots of fun,
Lived to tell the tale of being dropped on the carpet!
Oh, Pierre! Beautiful Beta! Narcissistic little fish! - -You were our pet.

We will miss you Pierre! You were a good little fish!! We loved you. May you rest in peace.



Look, there the little guy is.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Amen.

Christy said...

that was so touching... sniff sniff. don't worry guys, pierre has gone on to a better place where all he sees are images of himself everywhere.

Christy said...

ps- i'm glad to see you're blogging again!

Ryan said...

I still remember the first time I met Pierre. He will be missed. (sniff)

Amy said...

I never even met the guy. Or if I did I don't remember him. What's everyone crying about? Would you write an ode to me? Or would I have to die first...:)LOVE the Post. I'm still chuckling.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06