Monday, June 18, 2007

Let's Review...


On Friday night, Eric and I went to go see Spiderman 3. We'd been anticipating this movie for some time, but had heard mixed reviews. Here are some of my thoughts and reactions:
-I liked this Spiderman much better than the second one. While there was violence in the 3rd movie, it was not as gory and there was less sensational violence (violence just for violence's sake) in this movie than there was in the second movie.
-The whole black spidey/"Emo Peter" thing got really weird at some points. We were shaking our heads at a couple of parts.
-There were some very interesting, kind of daring (for Hollywood) social statements. For example, there is a scene where Spiderman swoops in and all you see is him flying in against this huge American flag (a little bit of propaganda... but I approve). Another time, Peter is having this kind of awakening/rebirth/realization moment and it starts raining (classic movie symbol for rebirth or change) and then there is a big pan up to the top of a catholic church with a cross at the top. Hmmm....
-There are some pretty humorous parts. Also, a few parts that make you want to smack Peter alongside the head and say, "What do you think you are doing?!"
-It was surprisingly NOT insanely immoral. Peter and MJ weren't living together, never slept together, Aunt May gave a long speech unequivocally advocating marriage and talked about how wonderful her husband and marriage were, etc.
-Most of all: I thought the film portrayed a lot of really good themes and messages. It stressed again and again that there are consequences for your actions and you have to live with them, talked about the importance of forgiveness and change, and that we are not just products of our time or surroundings, but that we always have a choice. Here are some quotes illustrating these things:
1.Peter Parker: Flint Marko; the man who killed Uncle Ben, he was killed last night.
Aunt May: Oh my... What happened?
Peter Parker: Spider-Man killed him.
Aunt May: Spider-Man? I don't understand, Spider-Man doesn't kill people. What happened? Peter Parker: I uh... he... he was... I thought that you'd feel... He deserved it, didn't he?
Aunt May: I don't think it's for us to say whether a person deserves to live or die.
Peter Parker: Aunt May, he killed Uncle Ben!
Aunt May: Uncle Ben meant the world to us, but he wouldn't want us living one second with revenge in our hearts. It's like a poison. It can take you over, before you know it, turn you into something ugly...

2. Peter Parker: [to Sandman] "I forgive you."

3. Aunt May: "A man needs to put his wife before himself. Can you do that, Peter?"

4. Flint Marko: [looks down at the crowd below] "I didn't want this. But I had no choice... Peter Parker: We always have a choice. You had a choice when you killed my uncle."

5. Man in Times Square: "You know, I guess one person really can make a difference..." [pats Peter Parker on shoulder]
6. Peter Parker: "Whatever comes our way, battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. My friend Harry taught me that. He chose to be the best of himself. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right."
And just for fun....
Maître d': "I love romance. I am French."
While it wasn't my most favorite movie ever- overall, I would say, I liked it and go see it. I would even say it is worth paying 7 or 8 dollars and see it in the real theatre.
-Briana

1 comment:

Christy said...

sounds like it was pretty good! i have liked the first two spiderman movies and am excited to see the third one. we'll probably wait for it to come to the $3 theatre, as the normal theatre here is $9.50 a person! unreal. while julie was here visiting, we saw a pretty interesting/intense movie--premonition with sandra bullock. i liked it but it was definitley a little freaky at parts (especially considering we were in a theatre all by ourselves!).

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06