
Well, after receiving various pieces of advice about how to get a newborn to sleep at night, I decided to start putting some of it into practice. So, we tried to keep the house really light during the day and dark and quiet once it got close to bedtime. We also gave Elena a lavender bath right before bed. Then at about 10:30 p.m., we (Eric, me, and Elena) all laid down to go to bed. I had prepared myself for another night of 11:00-4:00 no-sleeping shenanigans and was all ready with various baby supplies and things to amuse myself sitting by the rocking chair that I would inevitably be spending most of my night in. Well, just for kicks, I decided to try and lay down in bed first and see if by some miracle Elena would go to sleep with us. I laid her in between Eric and I and made sure she had her binky and that her blanket was out of her face. Then I closed my eyes, hoping beyond hope. Well, to my great wonder and surprise, the next time I opened my eyes and was really awake, I glanced over at the clock and saw that it was 2:53 a.m.! I realized that I had only woken up a few times for a minute or so to help Elena latch on (nursing in bed, lying down is a really wonderful thing). I had been sleeping for about 4 hours straight! Well, after checking on Elena briefly and helping her to get started eating, I fell back asleep and then the next time I opened my eyes and looked at the clock, it was 5:36 a.m. - almost three more straight hours!!! At this point, I stayed awake to take care of a few things and wake Eric up. Then after he was off to work and I had finished feeding Elena, we laid back down in bed and slept for another 3 hours (with only minor wakings to latch-on)! So, my friends - if you add that all up, I think you will find that Elena slept pretty well through the night and I got almost 10 hours of sleep!!!!! What a glorious day!
Now, I don't know if this is just a fluke or if I can hope for any sort of pattern to develop out of this, but I do know that I had at least one beautiful night of sleep and now have more strength to go on. :)
In other good news: nursing doesn't hurt hardly at all anymore! Elena and I are learning lots. Also, Elena is 1 week old today! Happy Birthday! Also, she is really really ridiculously good looking! She is such a cutie! We can't get enough of her and are so grateful for such a healthy, sweet baby.

Yesterday, we took Elena in to visit at Eric's work. This is a picture of them initiating her in as an official Bryconian.)

Little Sleeping Baby.....

6 comments:
I just want to know why no one has commented on your totally gorgeous baby?
-Eric
oh i'm so happy for you! that is the BEST news ever! i'm also so glad nursing is not hurting as much. way awesome.
and you and eric are right, elena is extremly good looking. :)
ps- we bought a car last night! kia sportage. watch my blog for updates. :)
hooray Christy! a new car??? how exciting - you'll have to take us out for a spin in it. :)
p.s. update on the sleeping: it would appear to have been just a fluke. last night was not a good night. poor girl..... oh well, at least i had one night of sleep :)
Yea for a night's sleep! It'll happen again, and then again. Maybe not in a row, but it will happen.
Are you taking care of yourself?
Love you, Mom
yes, it will happen again! don't give up hope! :)
I wish, wish, wish she would always sleep like that for you. Wish all babies would just sleep at night. I think that alone would fix pretty much every problem in this world... world hunger, violence, dirty dirty hollywood. Think about it:)
Post a Comment