Okay, I'm stealing this idea from Christy because our blog has been very dry as of late....
First Friend: Well.... hmmm.... I know there were a few friends from Kindergarten, but the memories are really fuzzy. So, I will have to say, my sister Samantha. We are two years apart and I have really early memories of playing with her and doing everything together. We've stayed really close all of our lives.
First Time to Disneyland: When I was 6. We had a family reunion in California and my parents decided to take the opportunity, while we were down there, to go visit Disneyland, Sea World, etc. We spent about three days in Disneyland and it was awesome! My mom made Samantha and I wear matching outfits every day, so we wouldn't get lost as easily.
First Memorable Gift: Hmmm..... I can't remember which one came first. But, I will say the kitchen playset that my dad made for Samantha and I. It had a refrigerator, stove, sink, and cupboard and was painted white with yellow handles. I loved playing kitchen and house with it!
First Time Wearing Make-up: Well, we were allowed to start wearing make-up when we turned 12. I never quite jumped on the make-up band wagon, though, until I was about 12 1/2 and joined colorguard. My mom took me out and helped me to pick out the make-up and showed me how to put it on. The only time I wore make-up at first was for guard. It took me a few months longer to actually start wearing it somewhat faithfully. So there you have it - yes, I am a band nerd. An incredible band nerd.
First Pet: A cat named Scamper. She was orange and white. She was the pet of the house before I was born and didn't much like the fact that I took up all the attention once I arrived. We didn't get along very well.
First Time Out of the Country: Well, I don't know if this counts. Right before Eric and I got engaged, we went down to Arizona with the rest of the family for Caleb's baby blessing. While we were down there, we took a quick trip over the border to Mexico. I think we spent a total of about 1/2 hour actually out and about in Mexico. But, it was the most out of the country I have ever been and I thought it was exciting.
First Friend: Well.... hmmm.... I know there were a few friends from Kindergarten, but the memories are really fuzzy. So, I will have to say, my sister Samantha. We are two years apart and I have really early memories of playing with her and doing everything together. We've stayed really close all of our lives.
First Time to Disneyland: When I was 6. We had a family reunion in California and my parents decided to take the opportunity, while we were down there, to go visit Disneyland, Sea World, etc. We spent about three days in Disneyland and it was awesome! My mom made Samantha and I wear matching outfits every day, so we wouldn't get lost as easily.
First Memorable Gift: Hmmm..... I can't remember which one came first. But, I will say the kitchen playset that my dad made for Samantha and I. It had a refrigerator, stove, sink, and cupboard and was painted white with yellow handles. I loved playing kitchen and house with it!
First Time Wearing Make-up: Well, we were allowed to start wearing make-up when we turned 12. I never quite jumped on the make-up band wagon, though, until I was about 12 1/2 and joined colorguard. My mom took me out and helped me to pick out the make-up and showed me how to put it on. The only time I wore make-up at first was for guard. It took me a few months longer to actually start wearing it somewhat faithfully. So there you have it - yes, I am a band nerd. An incredible band nerd.
First Pet: A cat named Scamper. She was orange and white. She was the pet of the house before I was born and didn't much like the fact that I took up all the attention once I arrived. We didn't get along very well.
First Time Out of the Country: Well, I don't know if this counts. Right before Eric and I got engaged, we went down to Arizona with the rest of the family for Caleb's baby blessing. While we were down there, we took a quick trip over the border to Mexico. I think we spent a total of about 1/2 hour actually out and about in Mexico. But, it was the most out of the country I have ever been and I thought it was exciting.

First Car: An orange volkswagon bug. I think it was a '74. It was pretty sweet and ran fairly faithfully even though it was totally gutless.

First Job: My first job was probably babysitting or being a newspaper carrier for the Tri-City Herald. Woohoo.
First Car Accident: A few months after I got my licence, I was driving my dad's truck. I was headed for work after school (I worked at a doctor's office that backed a grocery store and we would park behind in the grocery store parking lot) and I decided to back into a parking spot. Brilliant. Well, I don't have very good judgement or depth perception and I backed into one of those cement bottom barriers for the lightposts in the parking lot. Luckily, it was only one corner of the car and the extent of the damage was only a dent and a broken taillight. I felt horrible though! I was so nervous to go home and tell my dad and I cried and cried when I did. He was really nice though.
First Concert: I am a nerd and have never really been to any "real" concerts. I have been to an awful lot of operas, symphonies, and choir and band concerts - do those count?
First College Roommate: Well, I had five roommates. They were all awesome. But I guess I should talk about the one who was technically my room- roommate. That was Emily Powell - one of my best friends from high school. It was really nice sharing a room with someone familiar when we were brand new to school. We learned a lot about eachother. Luckily we both had the same hot/cold preferences and so forth, so the arrangement worked pretty well.
(That's Emily there on the far left in the orange spandies, along with some others of my first roommates.)
First Airplane Ride Alone: That would have to be right before Eric and I got married. I had to go to the stupid bowl game for stupid BYU marching band - a week before Christmas. Eric and I had been up in Washington for my endowment and then we were going to drive from there down to Vegas to drop me off to meet the Marching Band. However, the day we were supposed to leave a really bad storm hit most of the Northwest and it wasn't safe to drive and would have taken forever. So, we bought a last minute flight for me to Vegas. Eric drove me to the airport and sent me off on my flight. I remember waving goodbye and walking away through the security checkpoint and watching Eric fade in the distance. It was awful! What a horrible thing to do to an engaged couple two weeks before they are getting married. I was so lonely and sad and missed Eric like crazy. Blargh.
First Time I Met Eric: On to happier things.... Well, that would be the first Sunday of the fall semester that we were in the Glenwood (ah, the Glenhood). We had a ward linger longer to get to know people. I met Eric briefly, but he was mostly interested in talking to certain roommates of mine. ;) I thought he was cute and funny and nice, but I thought "definitely no interest in this guy". I also thought, "wow is he girl crazy! I wonder who's going to make him settle down."
First Kiss with Eric: We had been on a sibling/ group date with a bunch of people... Christy and Tom, Amy and Ryan, Alana and Evan, and maybe some other people... I can't remember. At the end of the date, everyone had split off to go their separate ways and Eric and I decided to go for a walk. I told him that one of my favorite places was near the fountains by the ASB on campus. I had always thought they were beautiful. So, we walked up there and eventually ended up sitting down on one of the benches nearby. Well, we spent a long time talking.... and Eric spent a long time trying to kiss me. I knew he was, but when it all started that night, I still wasn't sure if I was going to kiss him yet. But, luckily for me, he is a persistent fellow and several hours later, I made up my mind that yes, I did want to kiss him. :) Thanks heavens he was blinded to what a silly, nerdy person I am. Most guys would have given up long before. P.S. It was a very good kiss.

First Home with Eric: Our little ghetto apartment in Springville, with all the spiders. It was small and dark and kind of odd, but we sure loved it. I was never so happy in any place before than when we moved into our first place together. Happy memories.
First Real Job: I guess that would have been my first official job when I was 16 and technically old enough to work. That was at Dayco Heating and Air in Kennewick. I got the job through a friend's mom. I worked there about 7 months as a receptionist and doing data entry. The people I worked with were nice and helpful and very flexible, but I really didn't care much for the job. It was kind of boring. But, at the time, it was a huge blessing for me.
First Baby: Elena Noel!!! Who has yet to make her appearance..... but will for sure by Thursday!
First Time I Realized I Wasn't a Kid Anymore: This may not have been the first time, but it was definitely the most poignant time. It was about the time when we were sitting in the title company's office and signing our closing papers. They were explaining our obligation to pay and what happens if you default and when the payments were due. .......Whoa...... It hit me what a huge decision and obligation we were making. Definitely not child's play.
Now, I second Christy - someone else needs to do this. It is fun to read what people write!
Briana
6 comments:
yay briana! i'm glad you did this. it was fun to read about all your firsts. i especially like your first car--freakin awesome.
and by the way, happy d-day! maybe she will come today, you never know! then doctor nance would feel very very cool.
we are waiting to hear! and so so excited to meet elena. can't wait!
This post made me sad, look how much I missed.
-Eric
what do you mean, my love? how much you missed of what? all my firsts? if so, you are a cutie. Don't be sad. Did you see how many amazing firsts you made. And there are many more which are not included. All the good firsts are the ones with you anyways!
Briana
AN excellent list of firsts Briana, your car was amazing, it's amazing how amazing it was. I wasn't aware of the reason why Eric proposed to you at asb, I actually was pretty weirded out by the idea, but it all makes perfect sense now.
Fun memories, Briana. Thanks for sharing them all!
Love you, Mom
I too liked the car and liked the kissing story. I was like you... not sure at the beginning of the night if I was going to let Ry lay one on me... but he was also persistent. Hooray for our hubbies!
Post a Comment