
Okay, so as you may have guessed, we have had some very unwelcome little visitors these last few days. It all started a few weeks ago, when I walked into our bathroom and saw a little ant crawling in our bathtub. Now, I would have thought that he was quite a cute little guy - except for the fact that he was IN MY HOUSE! That is not ok.
Well, he was only one ant, so I washed him down the drain, but I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that came from the thought, "Where there is one ant, there is always more." A few weeks went by with no sign of other ants, but then 2 days ago I went into our bathroom again and there were about 7 or 8 little ants crawling around on the floor. Oh great. We do have an ant problem. But, it was too late to do much about it that night - I would go to the store tomorrow to get some ant traps. So, I called Eric in and he got the lighter and blow-torched all of them that we could see. I couldn't figure out why on earth they were just in the bathroom or where they were coming from.
Yesterday, when I woke up, I took a look around the bathroom and didn't see any ants. Hmmm.... maybe they were just a bunch of lost scouts that wandered into the bathroom and we killed them before they reported back? On my way home from work, I debated whether or not to get the ant traps - maybe we had fixed the problem. But, I thought I had better just in case. Chances were that there would be more ants. When I got home and placed the traps (the good kind that has the poison food that the ants carry back to the queen to knock out the whole colony) - still no ants. Hmmm... Well, when I got home again later that evening, I checked again and there were more ants. Lots more. But the good thing was that they were just crawling back and forth between the ant trap and the wall. So, the bait was working. Then, upon walking out of our room, I noticed more ants crawling on the linoleum by the front door off in the corner. Arrrgh! On closer inspection, I found their source of entry into the house. That's good at least. So, I placed another trap in that corner. About 10 seconds later, they were going after it like mad. Good. Die suckers. If there's one thing I hate as much as spiders, its ANTS IN MY HOUSE. (Ants outside: no problem.) Anyways, so I decided that they were probably in other places I can't see, as well. So, I pick everything up and vacuum the carpet really slowly and thoroughly. By this point I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I hate ants in my house. And its looking like we have a possible infestation. Who knows where they are by now? How are we ever going to be able to find them all and get rid of them??
Then I decide to sweep the kitchen floor. If there's one place I'm going to freak out about having ants - its in my kitchen!!! As I shake out the rug under the sink, off fly a couple of ants. Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it. I drop the broom, leave the ants, and start pacing around the house, crying, and cursing the ants. I'm hysterical by this point and not acting rationally. After a few minutes of this, Eric gets me to sit down by him and tries to calm me down. 10 minutes later, I'm slightly more rational and the two of us head into the kitchen to torch some ants, pick up, sweep, mop, disinfect, and lay more ant traps. Ahhh... (deep contented sigh). Things are looking less inviting to the ants, traps are laid, I'm starting to see dead ants lying near the traps, and there are no more ants in sight in my kitchen.
What a night. I hate ants in my house. Stupid things. Did I mention that I HATE ants in my house?!
The moral of this story:
1. If you are an ant: stay the heck away from the inside of my house. You WILL die. Whether by drowning, squishing, poisoning, or blow-torching - you will die. (Yes, I know I'm evil and probably not making it to heaven because I kill the little ants that get in my house. If they would just stay out, we would all be fine.)
2. Don't be like me and have a 7 month old baby, work, try to finish up school, be a wife, and try to keep up house. It won't work. Its too much and you will fail like me. You will get ants in your house.

In other news:
-Elena has a new tooth.
-We sold the Mailbu yesterday.
9 comments:
A funny side note that I forgot: Last night when Eric was trying to calm me down, he said, "Don't worry - I know lots about how ants work. When I was little, if I saw an ant in the house I would leave some pieces of bread in front of it to try and attract more, so that I could watch the ants form a line. Sometimes I would even go out into the garden and find some ants and bring them inside to watch what they would do."
... uh....?
Very cute and also very insane. :) How did you do it Mom? I hope those ant finding genes don't run in the family. :)
Sorry I am laughing.
LOLOLOL! Oh, Briana, the ants were nothing compared to the other critters your husband brought home.
I'm sorry about the ants but I think you are hysterically funny.
I won't tell you Elena will probably bring home lots of little things like that or heaven forbid eat an ant or two. After all her mom ate a worm.....
Calm down,relax, and know that you are not alone in your loathing of those little guys in your house.
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it and I do feel your pain ;0)
i HATE HATE DOUBLE HATE having any sort of creatures invading my home. like the mouse in hawaii that pushed me to the brink of insanity. or the beetle that was sitting on my couch last night like he owned the place. good luck with the ants, i know a guy who could sell you some pest control...:) and i had no idea you were selling the malibu. are you buying another or just sticking with one car for now? and how many teeth does elena have these days?
ya...so...maybe i wont come over this summer...your kind of werid. im a bit frightend....poor wittle guy. well have have with your ickys..
Christy: a BEETLE??!! I would die!
Elena has 4 teeth. The two top and the two bottom. From the way she has been acting the last few days, I wouldn't be surprised if there were three more on the way! :)
About the Malibu - we kind of decided to sell it out of the spur of the moment three days ago. We listed it on KSL and then it sold the next day. So, now we are looking for another car - something extremely economical (since gas hit $3.82!!! today). We've also debated cutting back to one car. But, that would only work for about another month until summer semester starts. So we'll see. We'll keep you updated.
So sick. A lady I visit teach was telling me that they've gotten lots of ants FOUR times in their house (over several years) and one time she didn't realize it until she finished her bowl of cereal and realized there were ants in the bottom of the bowl. They were EVERYWHERE in her cereal boxes... which means... she'd just eaten a whole bowl of ants. I felt a need to throw up after hearing that story.
Amy: ewwwww.... now I want to throw up too!!!
Post a Comment