Thursday, April 9, 2009

Elena, part 1: Pigtails and other things on her head

So, per a request from my mom for more pictures of her granddaughter, the next few posts are going to be about Elena. Sorry :) Well, sort of :)
*********

So, as many of you know, the history of Elena's hair goes like this: she was born with some hair which has kept growing slowly, but surely ever since. The only problem has been that is has mostly been just the front and back which have been growing steadily. The sides creep along. The result has been something almost bordering on a slight mullet. :) I've had the front and back trimmed only once, as it just breaks my heart to take scissors to her hair when we've been working so hard to get it to grow. Lately, the back has really been getting some length and so yesterday, I decided to finally try some pigtails (a wonderful solution - hides the possible mullet like tendencies and lets me use the length :) hehe.) And here is the result - pretty dang cute, if I say so myself. I'm pretty sure I followed her around with the camera all day. :)

The result, from the back
The little devil trying to pull them out...
Elena would not hold still long enough for me to get a cute picture that did her little pigtails justice. So, here is a video where you can, hopefully, see them a little better.
**********

As many of you also know, the history of Elena wearing things in her hair/on her head goes something like this: from her earliest weeks, she wore bows. I think they are ridiculously cute and I quickly got sick of having strangers call her a boy anytime she wasn't wearing a bow. Bow wearing lasted up until about 8 or 9 months, when she started to become aware of them, and then she grew very opinionated and decided that she would absolutely not tolerate ANYTHING on her head. And believe me, I tried. I was not one to give up easily. But, she fought longer and harder and won. Her dislike of things on her head extended to darling little sun hats, barrettes, clips, elastics, you name it. So, ever since she was 9 or 10 months old, her hair has just been down and scraggly. Every so often, I try again, but she always pulls out whatever I put in. Half the time she looks like a wild child because her hair is so fine that it gets ratted and fuzzy and crazy really quickly.

But, over the last couple of weeks, Elena has shown signs of improvement. She has started to tolerate (for short periods of time and when she is in a decently good mood) things on her head/in her hair: wearing Eric's hats for fun, little headbands, and the occasional little ponytail. Here is some more proof:


Trying to pull the headband out...

Resigned to her fate.... :)

(This outfit has a funny story. Eric bought her those camo pants when he saw them on sale for like $2.50 at the store. He absolutely loves them. :) One Saturday, I was gone for the day and this outfit was the result of daddy picking out her clothes. He was very proud of how coordinated everything was: yellow shirt, yellow headband, and even yellow socks to match. :) I have to say that I appreciate his efforts to get her to wear something in her hair. Very nice.)

7 comments:

emuhle said...

briana those pigtails are adorable! hopefully she can learn how cute she looks in them and love them! she is a doll :)

Anonymous said...

Grammie is a happy camper, She's got pictures and she's coming at the end of the month to eat this girl up. Thanks sweetheart for the pictures. I love them. She is adorable. If I remember right I beleive you had the same aversion to things in your hair that your sweet daughter has. I remember wanting to french braid your hair and would just get it done and you would pull it out. So hang in there! I love you all.
Mom
p.s. Put the pictures in large so I can save them...

Christy said...

that's huge that eric even did her hair! way to go bro! i can sympathize with the mullet (we've already cut sophie's hair three times and i think we're going to have to do it again soon) and dislike for hair bows (let's hope it's the age- right?). if i distract sophie enough SOMETIMES i can get her to keep something in her hair. it is a battle, and lots of days i just give up. anyway, the pigtails are absolutely DARLING and make little elena look so grown up! what a sweetie. can't wait to see her (and you guys) again. (less than two weeks!!)

Briana said...

Mom: I did put them in large - always do for you :)

Mom and Christy: so excited to see you both!

The Copelands said...

She is so adorable! We need to plan dinner over at our place! Hopefully we'll get to see y'all soon!

Amy said...

Love the pigtails!!

Lisa said...

So cute! Love the pig tails. Syd had the same thing, lack of hair on the sides, but eventually it'll come!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06