Thursday, June 18, 2009

Random Thought Thursday

Sorry the blog has been a little slow as of late. I just finished up the first of three band camps this summer and so things have been a little crazy. I've been thinking that I need to post, but I have no pictures that come to mind and a serious lack of motivation, so... you get my random thoughts.

**********************************
Recently, I have discovered fresh ginger. And I really like it. I don't know why, but I have never really cooked with it - ever- until about a week or two ago. Fresh ginger really has such a unique taste - sweet and tangy, very flavorful. Right now, I only have a couple of recipes that call for it... I think I want to use it more often. From what I have seen, it seems to show up mostly in Asian recipes. Any experienced ginger users out there who know other types of dishes you can use it in?
**********************************
After some debate, Eric decided that he is going to go for his master's degree. Hooray! (I think...) No, I really am excited - what an awesome goal for him and it is just a smart idea - better job placement, higher pay, more chance for specialization, etc. The impatient side of me is just not excited about another year of school... (see- another reason I should count my blessings - BYU has an accelerated Master's program for Civil Engineers, so it will only take an additional year after his bachelor degree). In the long run, it will be a really good thing! He'll have his Bachelor's in April 2010 and then you can call him Master in April of 2011!
*********************************
Lots of sweeping, Lysol on the tile, baking soda carpet powder stuff, multiple vacuumings, ant traps, and bug spray seem to work fairly well at keeping ants out (of my sight at least)..... at least for a day or two.
*********************************
I scheduled my first doctor's appointment today. I can not wait to hear the heartbeat! For some reason, I have been so nervous this pregnancy. The first trimester feels like its creeping along. But, really I've been feeling pretty great - just a little more tired than usual most days, a little more hungry, only occasional sickness, and a few other symptoms that you probably don't want to know about. :) The one thing that has been really weird for me this pregnancy is that I have had to run to the bathroom like an eight or nine month pregnant lady does! 20 or 30 times a day, I swear! Not really a problem, I just never knew before that it is a fairly common (though less talked about) symptom some people get in their first trimester. I didn't have that with Elena until the last few months.
********************************
We discovered that Elena LOVES fireworks shows. Last week, we watched the fireworks show at the end of one of the "city days" and she could not get enough! She oohed and ahhed the whole time, kept pointing to the sky and talking excitedly, and definitely cried when it was all over. When it was done, she kept pointing to the sky and saying, "More! More!" It was pretty dang cute! I've been learning that so much of the magic of traditions and holidays comes from seeing the excitement and wonder in your kids. It was a cool "mommy moment" and it made me excited to have more, older kids to get excited about all the things that I always loved. We're happy because last year, she was NOT a fan of fireworks. But, it looks like this year they are going to be a hit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wahoo and we get to be there to share it with her...Fireworks that is. Call me after your appointment and let me know how you are doing.
you might want to call your thither shes sad and could use a friend:( just to listen and know someone cares. love you sweetie

Jenny said...

Big news for everyone! Eric is headed to school for another year, Elena loves fireworks, and you're pregnant! Yeah!I know what you mean about running to the bathroom! Hopefully all keeps going well! We miss you guys!

Lisa said...

busy busy for you guys! Good luck with school Eric, at least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, not too much longer! The older Elena gets the more fun and personality she'll get, its so great to see your kids get exciting over things... definutely a Mommy Moment!! love it! good luck at the Dr.s!

Christy said...

so fun that elena loves the fireworks! and way to go eric on the masters thing. that's awesome that it will only be one extra year, not bad at all! also, sorry we STILL haven't sprayed your place for ants. i'm glad you found something that seems to have worked, but no worries, we will still do it for sure when we're down there again. we're thinking of coming for father's day.

Anna said...

I think him getting his masters is a GREAT choice.
I can't wait to see what Clara thinks of fireworks this year.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06