Well, actually two cruel ironies.
So, at my doctor's appointment this week (where I scheduled my last monthly check up - then we go to two weeks - sheesh we're starting to get close!), a couple of things happened:
I got weighed and have only gained 1 and a half pounds since last month - which would be all baby weight (she grows approximately a half pound a week these days) and possibly losing a little bit of Briana weight :) Boom baby! For a month where I thought I'd totally let things go, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Then, the doctor reported back to me on my glucose screening test. I passed. Woot! But then he said, "Now we need to talk about your test." I got a 136 and a 140 is the cut off. A 140 means that you don't necessarily have gestational diabetes, but that you need to go get retested to see if you do.
"So," he said, "you are close and should probably cut back on your sugar intake unless instead of a 7 lb 9 oz baby (Elena's birth weight), you want to deliver a 9 lb 9 oz baby."
Um, yeah, no thanks.
"You don't have to go crazy - you're not on the restrictions that a person with gestational diabetes would be, but cut back on the cake and candy and cookies, eat fruit, and go sugar-free when you can. That way you won't have a ten pound baby. This is a bad time of year to have to tell you this- with the holidays coming. But do what you can."
So, irony #1 - a great weight gain month and I'm told I should cut back my sugar intake.
And then irony #2 - all of the yummy holiday treat goodness and I'm supposed to cut back. :( Ah, poor me!
But actually, it'll probably be a good thing. :) Keep me on track for more good weigh-ins. And keep that baby small!
Glow Stick Baby
2 days ago
9 comments:
it does seem cruel to have to cut back on sugar during the holidays!! good luck with that one. and congrats on the minimal weight gain. that's always exciting. (within reason, right? not like someone else we "know". he he.)
those are ironic situations! When are you due again??
Christy: exactly ;) and did you see the tarnishment of our name??? sad day, indeed!
Emily: Feb 7th. And I keep trying to comment on your blog but it won't bring up anywhere to comment!
I told you I thought you looked skinny the other day! As for the bad news, I'd just say, pick your battles. Feel free to indulge in some fudge . . . but not fudge and ice cream and twinkies and milky ways and . . .
At least you don't have to have the longer test :)
This is pretty good news! I'm glad you passed the glucose screening, and you can totally cut back during the holidays--it will leave you feeling satisfied, but not sick (I always eat way to many sweets and feel sick...).
Good luck!
I know I don't EXACTLY have a medical degree... but I'm not sure how it's possible for a little woman like you to deliver a ten pound baby. Maybe it was just a joke? Sorry. Little sugar over the holidays. Not awesome! But hooray that your little sweetie is almost here! And thank you SOOOOOO much for yesterday. I felt bad sending my kids to the pregnant member of the family. I slept for 4 hours straight. It was awesome. Please let me return the favor asap! Love you!
JEALOUS!!!! man, what I would have given to only gain 1.5 lbs!!! That stinks about cutting back on the sweets :( I have no self control, but maybe being doctor perscribed it'd be easier??
now I'm craving fudge... thanks Aunt Liz :) haha!
oh no that's terrible!
you've been tagged! rules on my blog!
Post a Comment