Friday, September 10, 2010

How can you say no...

...when this little girl climbs up on her bed and says, "Come read with me, Mom!"?


Elena loves to have reading time with me and then to "read" herself. Lately, she'll have me read a book to her and then she'll take a turn "reading" it back to me or to herself. What she really does is memorize most of the book as I read it and then she recites it from memory. It's amazing how much she gets word for word. That girl has one insane memory. Insane.

When things get quiet and the dreaded "oh no, it's too quiet around here - what are they up to?" feeling strikes my heart :), I've been pleasantly surprised recently that I often find Elena on the floor in front of her bookcase or sitting in her rocking chair looking at a book.


Sweet girl.

*********************
And in other news, steroids start in 5 days. :`( <-- That's a tear. Yes, I cried tonight when I realized that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

like mother like daughter. I am so glad she loves reading. How long do steroids go this time? I am so feeling your pain. maybe some extra prayers will help. I love you all.

Christy said...

oh, serious tears for the steroids. i am so sorry. i was thinking about you guys yesterday and wondering how long you had. how are her counts?

elena really does have a very good memory. remember octagon and trapazoid? crazy lady. she is so sweet.

Liz said...

Such cute pictures! I'm glad she loves to read. Maybe she'll be an early reader like her Aunt Christy, who learned to read by sitting next to Jenny & me and memorizing the stories as we read her 1st grade school books.

I love to see her fuzzy hair! We're praying every day that the steroids won't be as hard this time. And at least, they'll only last a month. (Which, I know, seems like forever right now.) Her counts are low--will she still be starting DI Tuesday?

The Copelands said...

What a good little reader!! She is going to be so smart! Just like her mama:)

Amy said...

ahhh--i love that she is into books! I hope that when Cameron sees me reading a book he picks up the healthy habit :)

I will pray for her steroid treatment--and for you guys.

Lisa said...

Too cute! I love the crossing her legs :) I wish my kids were more excited about reading.... I will take the blame on that one.

Good luck with the steriods. I hope it goes by quickly for all of you.

Jenny said...

I love reading too! I think it is definitely one of my favorite things to do with the kids! We go to the library and pick out good ones all the time, I'll have to send you a few favorites!

We will be praying for you all. I wish this all was easier on you guys. There is nothing like watching your child change and not be as happy.

I am amazed at her strength. Take care.

Jack said...

I love that she is reading a book about hair.

Obviously we love reading--hope my kids are interested in it too!

You are in our prayers.

Mireya said...

Love her little bedspread,so cute!

Good luck with the steroids; I've been praying God's continued love and blessings on your difficult journey!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06