Thursday, October 14, 2010

Elena's 3rd Birthday, Part 1. Otherwise titled, "A Birthday on Steroids"

Elena turned 3 last Monday! This was a miracle birthday to us. We wanted to make it a really special birthday week to celebrate another miraculous year of life for Elena. We are so grateful for the doctors, nurses, researchers, patients, generous donors and supporters of research who have done so much to forward advances in treatment and given us so much hope. We are SO grateful for the knowledge and medicine available that has given Elena another year of life!


We had a big celebration ("Elena Day") planned with family and friends for Saturday, but we also celebrated a little at home on Monday. Her birthday week was a little unusual because she was also on steroids. (And at the doctor/hospital all week...) It made for not your average birthday. :)

How Steroids/Chemo Effected Elena's Birthday, Example #1: Here's the birthday girl - after we had to go in at 11(!) to wake her up because Eric and I couldn't stand it anymore and wanted her to see her presents and the house. :)
Eric and I decorated the house the night before with streamers, sparkly stars, and a "Happy Birthday" banner. It looked pretty magical.



Steroid Effect #2 : We had to basically force Elena to open this present - all she cared about was eating some "noordles" for breakfast. :)

Steroid Effect #3: When I asked Elena what she wanted for her special, birthday dinner, she paused, rested her hand on her cheek, and then said, "Um, ravioli would be nice." As in canned ravioli. I told her no :) and then listed off other things she could have: salmon, chicken, steak, pork chops, hot dogs, etc. "PORK CHOPS!!" she screamed.
Here she is in her new apron helping me make her special birthday dinner of pork chops, corn on the cob, pineapple, and green beans (all her requests).


Blowing out the candles. Steroid Effect #4: This is all the smile we can get out of Elena when we ask when she's on steroids. Kind of like Nacho Libre.

Her Melissa and Doug "Cutting Food" that she LOVES.



Thanks to all who sent gifts, birthday wishes, and came and celebrated with us!

To be continued...

7 comments:

Liz said...

My favorite was her reaction when Eric put away her wonderful sliced vegies. . .

I love the decorations! Your house looks so festive!

Christy said...

The decorations looked so cute! I loved all the Elena on steroids stories. She'll read this when she's older and have a good laugh.

Happy birthday, Elena! We love you!

Me said...

I LOVE the decorations! It remind me of a fairy land or something. I'm glad you guys had fun!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Elena!!!

Logan Family said...

Happy Birthday Elena!

Amy said...

That girl is freaking funny. I love her. Your decorating is incredible. I bet she was so excited when she did finally wake up:)!

Lisa said...

Love the apron! What a cutie.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06