Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lil Lils

Today we got admitted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center with Lily. She has been diagnosed with "failure to thrive," which doesn't mean anything other than that she isn't growing right. We don't know what is wrong, but something is indeed wrong. Here is her medical history to this point.

At birth Lils weighed in at thundering 5 lbs 9 oz. = 5th percentile
At 6 months - 11 lbs 13 oz = 3rd percentile
At 9 months - she is not there yet, let's back up a few weeks.

September 10th - Lily had blood and mucus in her stool... we freak out.

Later that day we go to the doctor, with diaper in hand (gross.) Get Lily's vitals, and she only weighs 11 lbs even... we freak out again. = no longer a percentile, like that is really small at 7 1/2 months.

Present (8 1/2 months ) - 10 lbs 12 oz = 1 millionth percentile, or something like that...

Putting that in perspective-

Fact 1 - She weighs at 8 1/2 months what the average baby weighs at about 7 weeks.

Fact 2 - The average baby weighs 18.5 lbs at 8 1/2 months.

Fact 3 - 95% of all babies weigh at least 15.5 lbs at 8 1/2 months.

And to review:
  • Birth: 5 lbs, 9 oz
  • 6 months: 11 lbs, 13 oz
  • 7.5 months: 11 lbs
  • 8.5 months: 10 lbs, 12 oz
So, here we are beside Lily's hospital bed, with her with an IV in, and a feeding tube down her nose. Elena is at Christy and Tom's and they are trying to figure out all of her medication, trying to remember to wear chemo gloves for diaper changes, and changing their house into the weird sterile environment that she needs.

Lily grew up a lot tonight- between the feeding tube and IV trauma and not being able to nurse. It's hard to have her be so little and lay there screaming at us and not understanding why all of a sudden she can't nurse anymore and why we are letting people hurt her so much. :( As Briana rocked Lily to sleep after we got back in our room after getting her NG tube inserted, she was laying there wide eyed on Briana's shoulder looking at me with furrowed brows and a thoughtful expression, like "why'd you let that happen to me, dad???!". Poor baby.

What it could be-

We are all hoping that she is just having a food allergy problem of some sort. Today she did her favorite thing for the last time in her life: nursed. She is getting a special formula called Elecare with no complex nutrients. It is disgusting and she doesn't want it, so she gets the feeding tube and IV fluids. If it is an allergy then she should start gaining weight immediately.

But, maybe not. The doctor (gastroenterologist) says that it could be an allergy, but he has never seen this kind of weight loss from that. Also allergic reactions generally show up in blood tests with elevated immuno-responses (such as esophils, an allergen fighting white blood cell), but those tests are normal.

What else then?

Don't know, but there aren't many pretty pictures, so we are hanging on to that while waiting for other test results.

-Eric
**********************************

On a really good note: you guys rock. We've almost met our donation goal of $3,000. $2700 and counting! Thanks for the support and the bright spot in a crazy week.

17 comments:

Liz said...

How I wish I could make it all better. I guess it's a good thing that someone wiser than me has all power, because if I did, I'd never let this happen. But I trust in a bigger perspective that will make all this okay.

We're also praying for a simple solution for our adorable little Lily.

And by the way, for your other readers, you might want to clarify that you found not only poop and mucous in that diaper, but more significantly, blood.

I love you all. What can I do to help?

Anonymous said...

I too wish I could make this all go away, I am learning to trust the Lord and His perspective. The hardest thing for me is saying thy will be done. It scares me. I am so sorry that I can't help you the way you need me too. Know thatmy thoughts and prayers and anything I have or can give are yours. I love you all so much and I am so grateful to call you my children. No parent could be prouder than I at the strength,faith and example you are both sharing with all of us.
I'll see you soon.
mom

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say besides that really. Your children are so precious and I love them and you so much. I hope I can help somehow, if you need me, remember to ask. Give Briana a big hug for me. I know not nursing anymore will be an adjustment for her as well, and it's hard sometimes. Let me know what you find out. Take care.

Lisa said...

I am SO sorry you guys! How sad to see her looking at you and wondering, "why me?" the only positive thing is she won't remember it. :( I'm so glad Christy is close and can help with Elena. Keep us all posted, please!

P.S. I just looked in Chase's baby book (I was also curious since our conversation at the Grandparents) and he weighed in at a whopping 25 lbs at 8 months = 125%. crazy.

Christy said...

now you got me all teary. i gotta say, "WHAT WAS GOD THINKING?!?!" (i hope i don't get struck by lightening for that... it's actually a movie quote.) i can imagine it was very hard on little lily and you guys to have to stop nursing so abruptly when she loves it so much. poor little thing. gosh, i hope it is a simple solution.

and don't you guys worry one bit about elena. we love having her here and everything is going smoothly.

love you guys lots.

melissa said...

Wow, you guys have come through so much in so little time. I know you (and Elena and Lily) will pull through this. Heavenly Father knows you each and knows exactly how to help you through these tough situations. Let him carry you. We'll continue to keep your family in our prayers.

Jack said...

We love and miss you guys so much. You have such cute, fun-loving, sweet little girls. I was looking at Christmas pictures at Danny throwing all the girls up in the air over and over--I don't know if they miss him, but he misses them terribly.
You are in our daily prayers.

Chelsea said...

I am so sorry you guys. I cant imagine how terrifying it must be to be waiting for, yet another diagnosis. Hang in there! We are sending prayers your way.

Hugs,
Chelsea and Cami

Amy said...

Upon reading this, I fell to my knees and said a little prayer for your sweet family. I don't know why this is all happening, but I have faith in our Heavenly Father and that He knows you and is mindful of you all.

I say this as I look at my handsome 20-pound 10-month-old playing on the floor next to me, and I wish I could give some comfort of some sort to you guys--like "i know what you're going through" but I don't--but our Savior does. Lean on Him--I will keep you all in our prayers! I am so sorry that Lily will not be able to nurse, and that Briana has to wean her when they both would have it the other way :(

Anna said...

No, no, no, no, no. Life isn't fair. You guys could use a break, and one of these days I'm sure you will get one. Hugs and prayers...

Eric said...

Speaking of a break, Anna, Make-a-wish called this morning, and want Elena to make a wish!

The Copelands said...

Eric, this is terrible!! We were in the NICU this past weekend with our little newborn, it is so sad seeing them that way! We just live up the road from the hospital, and I am at home all of the time now, call me if you need me to bring anything at all, even if it is just something as simple as not hospital food. I'll email Briana my phone number. Good luck! We're praying for Lily!

Me said...

MAKE A WISH! I knew you guys were meant to do it....So sorry about Lils. :( We will pray for you. Love you all lots and lots.

Us'ens said...

Oh My Gosh!!! Ditto what everyone else has said...so sorry to hear about those precious little ones! They are just the greatest...and, well, what can I say about the two of you! You are just the bestest!!
Keeping all in our prayers & having faith that He will bring both of them thru all of this.

To family & friends there...Thank you, thank you, thank you!! For being there to help out with the little ones, even if it is just moral support...and you can't even imagine how much we appreciate the posts (and of course, Bri & Eric's blog reports) that each of you make! They are truly our lifeline to what is going on there! We love you all for being there!

Please give Elena & Lily hugs for us...I also sent some with Grammie Genea, who should be arriving any moment...

Courtney said...

Ugh. Anna called me yesterday to tell me what was going on. I am so so so sorry. It's not fair and I hate this for you. I hope it's something simple and can be dealt with quickly. You're in my prayers.

Anna said...

Hooray for Make A Wish!

Piano Mom said...

I hope you find a solution soon. It's the waiting (and worrying) time that seems to be the worst.

Erin was diagnosed with FTT (Failure To Thrive) awhile before we found out she had Leukemia. I only say this because I know how it feels to have a child labeled with FTT. I felt like an awful mother, sometimes people made me think I didn't know how to feed my child. She was so small that people always thought she was much much younger than she was. She wasn't even 20 pounds when she turned two. Some kids are just skinny and small. I hope that you do find a cause for your concerns and worries.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06