Friday, December 17, 2010

Time for bed.

It is 1:20 am and yet again, Briana and I have wasted (?) our evening worrying and researching about our daughter's health. We comb the same websites time and time again searching for the answer to the only question that really matters - Is she going to make it? It is frustrating having read the same pages over and over again, unable to find the answer to that question. Sure they all tell us that 90.8% of ALL kids make it, but then there is always that clause, High Risk ALL has a worse prognosis, but no one will say how much worse, not that a percentage would answer that either. Monday we tried to find out if other kids normally tank this far after treatment. Yesterday the search was "pinkeye in the immunocompromised." Today we added a new word to our search. "Relapse." It is an ugly word and it did bring up different pages, that we probably shouldn't read. At this point there is really no evidence that Elena still has Leukemia cells in her body, but when I asked the nurse today what we would learn from the non-routine bone marrow biopsy that Elena is scheduled for on Monday, she very hesitantly answered, that it was standard procedure to check for relapse if the counts remained low four weeks off of chemo. Those words are like poison. I don't want the nurse/doctors not to say them. I want to know what is going on, and why we do the things we do, but unfortunately, even though it is unlikely that the cancer is back, tonight we contemplated the possibility, and it hurts. I am sorry, but I want you with me tonight. Many of you probably think that we cry wolf on things. It seems we are always blowing things out of proportion, jumping to conclusions that the evidence just doesn't support. Lily has Celiac, Cystic Fibrosis, ate a battery, Elena fill in the blank. We can't seem to entirely separate our fears from reality. So tonight we mourn our daughter's relapse that hopefully never will happen. We try and grapple with the new statistics - 10-60% prognosis for relapsing ALL. Worse for kids with isolated marrow relapse (would be Elena if the bone marrow came back bad.) Also worse for kids that relapse in less then 3 years, worst being relapse in the first 6 months, and during chemotherapy. Someone help us! We are addicted masochistic internet health researchers! There we said it for all to know. Don't make fun of us.

Eric

11 comments:

The Reil Family said...

we are thinking of you, and there is no one here making fun of you! considering the amount of time and energy ive put into researching SIDS, and then whooping cough when Harlow caught a cold (symptoms, hospitalization, fatality rates) i can only imagine that i would be doing the EXACT same thing as you. hang in there - you all, especially brave little elena, are in our thoughts!

Anna said...

Instead of making fun, I'm sure we will all be praying for you. I can't even imagine the worry you live with. Hugs.

Me said...

I have been saying a lot of prayers the last few days in your family's behalf. I will keep praying. We both will. We love you guys. I know Heavenly Father's looking out for you.

Jenny said...

The internet can honestly be your worst enemy. I have done the same thing, (actually last night!) and it gets to the point where it drives you crazy. We all just have to live by faith. I do not understand exactly what that means, but it is hoping for things not seen. I feel for you and hope that you can figure this out sooner rather then later and keep moving forward. Love you guys.

Joseph & Shaylee said...

Never would I make fun of you, research is good and bad. Good for understanding what you are or could be looking at, and to help others. Research can also just scare the crap out of you too, hopefully you have some real answers soon.

Don't worry I do the same things too, I have researched infertility and recurrent miscarriages for myself, and MS and blindness related things for my husband.

We are with you, praying for your family. You are in our thoughts.

Christy said...

i am so, so sorry. i am devastated at even the chance of relapse. i read your post earlier on my phone, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. i don't think you guys are weird for researching this and worrying. any parent would do the same. i love you guys so much. i wish i could ease the worry. we are praying constantly that the leukemia is not back in elena's precious body. i wish i could do more then that.

Amy said...

I am so sorry! I would never make fun of you--these kinds of things consume us all, whatever is affecting us at the time, we look into it. I am praying for you all continually!

Courtney said...

I'm sure the worry you live with daily is overwhelming. I hope and pray that this is not a relapse. I hate that word for you. My prayers are with you. Love.

Kristin said...

I am sorry you have to wait all weekend to find this out. When Brinley was checked for relapse we had to wait a week, and I had planned out our new life dealing with relapse in full that week. It was awful. Turned out to not be one, but that doesn't take away the reality that these things happen, or they wouldn't need to check. And if they are worried, we sure as heck are!
I will pray like crazy that this is not a relapse and her marrow is just tired and needs a break. Wish I could take away some of the worry, but I'm a cancer mom and I know that feeling in the pit of your stomach, the "what if" gut-wrenching reality we deal with every day.
Thinking and praying for you guys tonight....

Us'ens said...

Ah, Sweetie! We are certainly NOT laughing at you...I cry with you, I pray with and for all of you!! I can't EVEN imagine what you & Bri are going thru...you are living with this horrible rollercoaster every single hour, minute, second of the day & night!
We know that Heavenly Father hears our prayers...all of them, so we will just keep talking to Him!
Know that we love all of you so very much & are praying...and, Eric, I truly admire you for sharing your thoughts & feelings with us...Hugs...

Lisa said...

blah. that really stinks... I hope you get answers soon, since I know I'm reading this late. It is to be expected to worry for your children, and want the best (and health) for them. What parents wouldn't do the same. prayers going your way!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06