Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Random Thought Tuesday: 2.8.11

Do you ever feel like everything about blogging is so overwhelming that you can't even bring yourself to pull up your blog?

I feel that way right now. Usually, I blog and put off doing my housework. Now, I'm doing housework to put off blogging. Ha! How's that? Probably good. At least I'm staying on top of the dishes and starting to come within sight of catching up on the laundry.

I'm in a rut of sorts. Not a rut where I can't think of anything to post about - I have about a million posts lined up - finishing the last MAW post, Lily's 1st birthday, an exciting announcement about what we're doing for Elena's 1 year diagnosis anniversary and how we need your help, etc, etc. I'm just stuck. Just the very thought of sitting down to do what needs to be done makes me feel like taking a nap. And my blog reader just keeps getting fuller and fuller and I'm getting more and more behind.

Maybe tomorrow. :)

************************

I had a little funny at the pharmacy the other day. I went to a new pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Elena - just some antibiotics, I think. The pharmacist was asking me some medical history questions about Elena since we had never filled there before.

"Any allergies to medicine?" He asked.

"Morphine," I responded without missing a beat. We answer that questions dozens of times a month, it seems like, when we're at the hospital.

All of a sudden the pharmacist's head shot up and he raised his eyebrows at me doubtfully. He sat there for a second and then said, "She's only three." And he stared at me dubiously and a little condescendingly, as if to say, "How would you even know that??"

Slightly annoyed, I explained, "She has cancer. She's been around the block a few times."

The look on his face disappeared instantly and he muttered, "Oh," and looked back down at the computer screen.

I got a good chuckle driving away from the pick-up window and Eric and I laughed together when I told him. It's almost as good as when people can't stop staring at Elena and then finally get the courage up to ask, "So, did she give herself a haircut?" Funny things along the way on this cancer ride.

***********************
I recently found this recipe for "Banana, Raspberry, White Chocolate Chip bread" - a heavenly variation on traditional Banana Bread - on the For the Love of Cooking blog. Try it out next time you have old bananas. You can thank me later. :)

***********************

You know something that rocks about having two kids? They entertain each other really well most of the time. Sometimes I wonder how I did it with only one kid. ;) Today, Lily was awake for most of Elena's nap. She mostly followed me around and wanted me to hold her and play with her. Which was cute, but made it difficult to get much done. As soon as Elena woke up, she lit up and started following her around and playing with her.

*************************

I can't figure out if I should bother to unpack our suitcases. I hate unpacking with a passion and we are headed back to the hospital sometime later this week or at the beginning of next week to start Elena's new treatment. Does that sounds like a valid enough excuse to be lazy and leave things still packed? :)

13 comments:

Us'ens said...

My Dearest Granddaughter...nobody, but nobody deserves to be a "slacker" than you kids! You are going thru so much! As much as I look forward to reading your blogs, and in particular, the one about the MAW experience, get to it when you get to it! We'll be here!!
The pharmacy story is funny & so the way some people are...open mouth, insert foot!!!
Yummmmm!!! I just happen to have some bananas...and can, for sure, get some fresh raspberries & white choco chips! It sounds amazing!!! Will try to make it this weekend...thanks for sharing!
Glad to see that Elena's ANC is up a little...hope the new treatment happens soon...but when she is strong enough for it. Hugs to all of you...will be excited to see LilyBugs birthday pics & story, and especially the day with the Princesses...take care...we love you!

Christy said...

i often feel that way about blogging after i've been out of town or something. it's amazing how fast those blogs pile up to read. so fun when you do it regularly, but not so fun when it feels like a chore. so yes, like your grandma said, no pressure! you've been pretty busy!

funny about the pharmacist... although mostly i think he's a jerk. i didn't know elena is allergic to morphine. crazy! my favorite "hair cutting" moment was when grandpa hastings said, "oh, you got a haircut!" love that man. :)

so true about the two kids thing. it really is so much easier in many ways. except when they're fighting... which is what we did today.

i so hope you guys don't have to stay tomorrow. you need more of a break, geez!

Liz said...

Thanks for the laugh! Isn't it great to be able to see the humor in things!

Good to see that Elena's ANC is up. How high does it need to be to start the new protocol?

Eric said...

750

Courtney said...

No pressure on blogging, even though I love to read about everything :)

Stupid pharmacist. I love that you told him the way you did. I love it when people ask stupid questions and receive a blunt answer. Serves them right.

And don't unpack. I'm a huge proponent of unpacking as little as possible.

Amy said...

I love that story about the pharmacist! Not a smart man. It's so true that kids entertain each other so much. I always feel bad that I don't give Mags the same attention Jo got as a baby. But then I watch her smiling at Jo and Tic all day, and I decide she's a pretty lucky gal:). Can't wait to see your kiddos in 2 hours!

Amy said...

P.S. I am totally prone to getting overwhelmed with blogs. I think that is actually the bottom line for why I quit writing/reading blogs periodically, why I'm on my third blog. I just get so behind I have to give up entirely! Don't be like me:).

Amy said...

Totally understand how you feel about have emails/blogs to read piling up, and how it can get overwhelming if you don't stay on top of it.

That story about the pharmacist made me laugh!!

Definitely don't unpack if you're just going to need to pack it up again soon!!

Logan Family said...

I actually have 2 overly ripe bananas on my counter but just haven't gotten around to making banana bread. I am definitely trying this recipe. It looks yummy!

The Copelands said...

Leave the bags packed!! Maddox is still pretty sick, we want to come visit you though!! As soon as he is better, we'll be stopping by. How long will she be in the hospital this time? Or is there no way to really know?

Chelsie said...

I had two people say things about Daph's hair the other day! Seriously. That is so strange that when they see a bald little one they don't think of cancer at all. It is so funny to see people's faces change when you tell them the truth.

I probably think it is funny because I have a completely sick sense of humor.

Don't feel guilty about feeling overwhelmed.

Also, kept a packed suitcase until just after Christmas- just in case! So I don't really think you need to worry about unpacking at all!

Logan Family said...

I made that banana bread! So good!

Lisa said...

I feel your blogging rut... that is me. It makes me happy that you can laugh about all of this... good for you putting it back in his face :) I will be printing of that recipe - thank you. and 2 kids is SO much better then 1!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06