Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Much better spent at home!

Last Easter we spent in the hospital when Elena's port was infected. Our sweet family did their best to make it a nice Easter for us in spite of everything, with gifts, several Easter baskets for Elena, and Chili's for dinner (hey, if you can't eat ham at home on Easter, Chili's is the next best thing!), but it just wasn't the same. We were only a few weeks out from Elena's diagnosis and were still reeling. Elena was not doing well - she had sunk into a deep sickness/steroid induced malaise and would just lay motionless in her hospital and bed stare off into space, wouldn't talk or smile or anything. It was not a pleasant time.

We were thrilled to be able to spend Easter week at home this year, with happy, mostly feeling good kids! Elena did keep us on our toes several times during the week, with pain and fevers threatening, but we made it! :) We stayed out of the hospital! In spite of feeling pretty rotten as chemo side-effects caught up with her, Elena was able to have a lot of fun on Easter.

I took a "Religion in the Home" class when I was at BYU (one of the best classes I took - I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone attending BYU) that taught about other Judeo-Christian faiths (Jews, Orthodox Christians, devout Catholics, etc.) and what they do to live their religion in their homes and daily lives. Then we used the concepts and ideas we learned about to discuss how Latter-Day Saints could live our religion more in our homes (something I think the Latter-Day Saints often struggle with and can really take a lesson from our Judeo-Christian brothers and sisters! But, back to the subject at hand... :)). Since that class, we have tried to incorporate various traditions, celebrations, and devotionals into the week before Easter - Holy Week - in order to make our Easter more meaningful. We didn't really get to do any of that last year, being in the hospital, and I was so excited to have a chance to work on it more this year with older kids than we'd ever done it with before. :) Although we didn't get to do everything we had planned - being in the hospital for part of it (finishing round 4), Eric walking in BYU graduation, etc. mixed things up a bit- it was still a wonderful week. We had a Jerusalem Dinner one night to help us get a feel for the time when the Savior lived, had nightly devotionals about the Savior's teachings/what He did during the last week of his mortal ministry (thank Heavens for "The Friend" magazine - Palm Sunday found us somewhat unprepared in the hospital and they had a great two page spread about Easter Week, with pictures and simplified stories!), we mixed things up by having "lights out" during the last few nights leading up to Easter to remind us that Jesus is the "Light of the World", we dyed eggs, and woke up on Easter morning to flowers, beautiful sunshine, and gifts from the Easter Bunny to remind us of the Greatest Gift of all.

It was so fun watching our girls get excited about their Easter baskets and having fun on Easter egg hunts. There is nothing like that magic in their eyes! And we were so blessed to be able to go to church as a family! Those times have still been few and far between - it was so wonderful to spend Easter Sunday together.

Elena discovering the Easter baskets

The Easter Bunny wasn't sure what to do for Lily - she got a book and a fruit leather and some raisins. When she pulled out the fruit leather, she had the funniest look on her face like, "Seriously, guys??!"
Elena was excited about her new headband - yay for having hair! :)


In spite of my good intentions, these were the best pictures we got of our cuties all dressed up for Easter. :)


I am so grateful for the Savior's atoning sacrifice and His Resurrection. Every good thing I have in life is because of those events. Because He died and lives again, I can have hope. Happy Easter!

14 comments:

Alex Woodall said...

I am so happy for you guys that you got to enjoy easter this year after last years chaos! You have such a beautiful family Briana! You are so stong and such an incredible mom, you will be blessed for your faithfulness! Love ya!

Courtney said...

Yay for holidays home and NOT in the hospital! You guys are such great examples...nice work. And how cute is that picture of Lily??

Ashley&BJ Elliott said...

I am so happy for you guys that you got to have an awesome Easter (especially after everything that happened last year) Elena's hair is looking so much longer! I love the look on Lily's face at the fruit leather, I need to get pics up of Lucy's face, she was more scared of her basket than anything though;) So cute!

Ashley&BJ Elliott said...

wow, totally did not read that first comment before posting this, sorry to sound like a parrot;P

syellen said...

I love Elena and Lily's Easter dresses! They are adorable. I am so glad you guys got to have a normal Easter this year!

Liz said...

I love that you're making wonderful traditions for Easter. I have a book with lots of ideas about Christ-centered Easter traditions. I wish I'd had it when our kids were small; if I had it to do over, I'd make Easter more meaningful.

P.S. You forgot to mention dinner and the "Man-hunt!"

Christy said...

hooray for easter NOT being spent in the hospital! it was fun to spend some of the holiday with you guys. your girls looked so stinking cute (i'm not surprised... although i am quite sleepy... he he). i want to hear more about these traditions of yours. i was just telling tom that i want to focus on the week of easter-- so much happened that week in christ's life and it seems like easter itself would be so much more meaningful if you were to think about all that happened before.

Us'ens said...

Wow! Hard to believe it has only been a little over a year since this all started!!
You guys are such an inspiration! I remember the first time your mom & I visited you guys...it was Easter time...and we had an awesome dinner...the one thing that stands out in my mind is the Asiago cheese! I find that interesting!! ;)
On Monday, your mom took me to Temple Square...how beautiful it was!! What an awesome day!!
So happy that you guys got to have a semi-normal Easter...the girls are absolutely adorable!! So very happy that Elena has managed to stay out of the hospital! Hugs to you all!! We love you so much!

Amy said...

YEA for being able to go to church as a family!!! So glad that you had a much sweeter holiday this year. I'm sure though that your memories from last year will be bittersweet memories--and it won't be forgotten!

I'm LOVING Elena's hair!!!

Amy said...

Also, it looks like you found out what to do with the picture frame/plate holder on the wall that was given to you--what's the story? How did you figure out how to make it work?? I can't remember when you first posted about it???

lea said...

Always love your posts...you are such a good mommy!!

Amy said...

Easter is so wonderful. I need to follow your example and prepare spiritually to celebrate what we're really celebrating. I taught Relief Society on Easter and we talked about how to raise teenagers- courageous parenting it was called. The bottom line, for me, ended up being that we parents must teach our children about Christ and that they can repent and receive a remission of their sins. Anyway, Easter should probably be the biggest holiday... I guess tied with Christmas. I'm so glad you guys got to be home this year! The girls look darling. The headband is adorable. Love it all.

Lisa said...

Yay for being home! Your girls are so cute in their Easter duds. What a great idea to celebrate the week before - and to understand other faiths, etc. I'm taking notes. :)

Lisa said...

p.s. yay for hair is right! it's coming in fast!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06