Monday, April 11, 2011

Yes Virginia, part 2: Lily's Birthday

This post could also be titled, "Whoa, am I behind!" :)

Lily turned 1 on January 22nd. We had a big first birthday party planned for her a couple of weeks after her birthday, when family would be in town. But, Elena got pnuemonia and was hospitalized for a week around that time and our plans were blown. Fortunately, somewhere between getting back from Florida, celebrating our anniversary and Elena's new treatments, we squeezed in a little family birthday celebration on Lily's actual birthday. I'm so glad we did since things never worked out for her big party! Boy, this girl is set up to feel pretty jipped when she gets older - we didn't get a video of her ultrasound (because we forgot to give them the tape to record it) and Elena did, Lily didn't have a big first birthday party and Elena did. Oh dear. Hopefully she turns out normal (and knows that we love her so dang much even if we did miss a few things along the way). :)

After church we covered the living room floor with balloons, laid out Lily's presents, and waited for her to wake up from her nap.
The birthday girl!




Lily and Elena had a lot of fun throwing and kicking around the balloons.

Lily's GI doctor said that she could try plain dark chocolate, so we saved that to try the week of her birthday, hoping that we could figure out how to concoct some sort of a cake for her. Do you have any idea how impossible it is to find dark chocolate that doesn't contain dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, etc. or wasn't processed in a plant that processes dairy, soy, wheat, or nuts?? Impossible! Finally after searching multiple stores, I found some plain dark chocolate powder at an organic farmer's market store. But, I couldn't find any recipes to make any sort of treat with it that didn't also have one dairy/wheat/soy/nuts/happiness in it. I'm sure some pioneering soul with similar allergies has come up with something, but I couldn't find anything. So, instead of a birthday cake, Lily had a birthday pear. :)
When I was still planning on a big party, I continued searching online, and I FINALLY found a dark chocolate bar at a health food store that claims to be completely free of all those things and totally allergy-friendly. But, with all the hospital stuff over the last few months, I haven't gotten out to go get it yet. :) Someday she'll try chocolate.

Checking it out
She was sad she couldn't touch it. :)
Singing "Happy Birthday"
(don't worry - she just barely brushed the wax after the candle was blown out :) - not even a mark)

Hanging out with Daddy and going to town on her pear




Opening presents



Thanks for going along for this crazy ride, Lily! :)

10 comments:

Liz said...

So cute! I'm glad you celebrated with Lily. (And honestly, I'd rather have a pear than cake too!) Good job being creative.

Don't worry about it not being enough . . . unfortunately this is life. And there will be other years and other birthdays. I speak from much experience with guilt.

Logan Family said...

Yay Lily! Happy belated birthday!

Christy said...

all those balloons look like every one year old's dream birthday. i think you guys did great! first birthday parties are more for the parents then the kid anyway. although i do feel bad about that pear. poor lily. good thing she doesn't know what she's missing out on. i hope one day she can eat some delicious chocolate cake on her birthday! hopefully next year, right? yes!

Us'ens said...

I totally agree with Christy, about the 1st BD party being more for everyone else...and, I'll bet she just had so much fun...she & Elena look like they are enjoying themselves...a lot!! Don' sweat the small stuff..
My best friend in school was allergic to chocolate & she used to eat Carob...I'm not sure about the ingredients...just know that it really didn't taste all that bad & it was the next best thing when you can't have chocolate!! But, glad you found SOMETHING!!
Hugs to all!!

Courtney said...

So cute. Happy birthday, Lily! I'm with Christy, she can have cake next year :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, those pictures are adorable!! I never realized how hard it is to find chocolate without all those things in it. It's one of those things you never really think about. I love the birthday pear, though; so cute!! Happy birthday to Lily! :)

Mireya said...

I literally laughed out loud with the birthday pear and also her crying! Well not that she was crying, but she just looks so cute. Maybe it's not such a bad thing she hasn't had chocolate yet - it's become one of my weaknesses.

Lisa said...

Love it! Looks like she had a great b-day - she's so happy!! The pear made me laugh too, just because its such a cute idea. I wish chocolate was hard for me to find :/

Amy said...

HAPPY B-LATED BDAY LILY! I love her birthday pear!!

Amy said...

What an angel baby. She really is. I shall never be satisfied with my children, no matter how good they are, after knowing Lily:). Kidding. Kind of. :) Don't feel bad about no cake. Pears are very tasty!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06