Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I thought I was done

Elena was supposed to lose her hair three times in the course of her chemo: first during the initial, hellish phase of Induction; second during the difficult phase of Delayed Intensification (DI); third during the recently completed round of High Dose Methotrexate (HD MTX). She did indeed lose her hair during Induction - within a week and a half of starting chemo - and it was really hard for me to handle at first. After a few months, my feelings did a 180 degree turn around and I LOVED her bald little head. It was fun to rub :) and I became fiercely proud of my brave, bald little fighter, exchanging her hats for headbands and bows. Her hair slowly started growing back and then came DI where it all fell out again. We were ready for it and not one of us even batted an eye. We were happy to have her cute little bald head back. Then came the unexpected round of HD MTX just when we thought we were in Maintenance. Elena's hair had just started coming in again and the nurses told us that they had never seen a patient on HD MTX keep their hair. So we waited and waited for the day when we'd start pulling clumps out again, but it never came. Her hair never fell out. It's been growing in for 7 months now and she has had quite the thick little crop of hair. I even gave her first post-chemo haircut! (The mullet, the mullet, what, what, the mullet....)

Although we marked the end of her bald days with a little sadness, we have fully embraced the return of her hair. It has grown in thick, a little darker than before (we now have a sandy blonde, rather than bleach blonde), and less baby-fine and it's just been in the cutest little "pixie cut" phase. We have constantly been getting comments on how cute it was and how it looked "like an actual style".

Well, today I found tufts of hair again...

But they were these type of tufts - the scissor induced kind rather than the chemo induced kind:

The "altar of sacrifice"


That's right. I want to bawl just looking at that picture. :(

Elena let me sleep in this morning! I awoke to a sweet little voice saying, "Mom, it's time to get up now!" I groggily, half opened my eyes and then shut them again. "Doesn't my hair look short?!" I laid there for a moment and then realization dawned and my eyes flew wide open. Horror. The cute little pixie cut was gone and replaced by random long hair coming down the front of her forehead, short hair on the top of her head, and bald spots dotting various places on her head.

Well, you can only imagine what happened from there... I stormed up out of bed in rage and anguish to go survey the extent of the damage, hissing out every punishment I could think of - no movies for a week, no more princess dresses, timeout forever, and so on.

Besides the "ant trail" of hair (and the bowl of A1 sauce she poured herself for breakfast - apparently she can get into the fridge by herself) and all the hair on the piano bench, there was also another pile on the floor below. We're talking a lot of hair people (well, you know... comparatively. She only had three or four inches to start with.)
Now, I know every mom has to go through the "my child cut their hair!" or "my child cut their sister's/brother's hair!" thing at least once. I know that. I remember my mom going through it with us. But this is seriously unfair. I already went through the losing hair bit- in a different way! This wasn't just any standard stock childhood head of hair she cut off. This was "I have cancer-and used to have no hair-and it's finally growing back for good-and all my family has put their fragile hearts out there by accepting and embracing the hair coming back" hair. This was the first growth. Not two or three years down the line, but two or three months! Ah! It's killing me! I'm so upset there are hardly words. Hence why Elena is sitting across the room in timeout and I'm sitting here trying to get my feelings out in written words rather than in loud, vocalized words at her. :)

...I think it's helping a little. I'm still heartbroken, but feeling a little more accepting of the fact that it happened at it has to be dealt with. So, here we go - here's some of the damage:

These pictures don't do it justice, though:
Bald spots on the top...

Bald spots on the left...


Bald spots on the right...

Naughty, naughty little girl

What do I even do with that??? She didn't touch the back - it's all still long. Just everything on the top, front, and sides is all hacked up to pieces. Some is still the original length, some is short, and some is non-existent (the bald spots). Help! What do I do with her hair?? Do we just shave it again and chalk it up to cancer? Do we take a few(er) steps back and just buzz it to a uniformly short length? Do you think a professional stylist could salvage it in some way?

Deep breaths, Briana, deep breaths. At least we can check this "first" off the list, I guess.

13 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man!!!!!! I have no ideas for you--maybe a professional??Maybe just try to trim it up a bit? I'm thinking that down the road, you'll all look back and laugh :)

Mireya said...

Oh my gosh! That last photo looks like a great mug shot! Maybe you'll just have to do a super duper short pixie cut? Aack, I've got nothing but hope you can find something to match her super cute personality!!

Chelsie said...

Oh no!!!!!! I'm so sorry! But you did have me laughing about the A1 for breakfast.

I'd talk to Elena about what she'd like to do and take her to a stylist for an opinion as well.

She's so funny.

Us'ens said...

Oh! My! Gosh!! As I'm sitting here, reading this to Grampa, I am laughing soooo hard, I can hardly read...A1 for breakfast!!! Yuk!!!
Rather than paying someone to possibly tell you what you just said...either shave it all of, or buzz cut it, I would just go ahead and buzz it...with a VERY firm threat that it will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER happen again... not to herself, and not to her sister...(LilyBug must have still been sleeping?? Otherwise, I'm sure she would have the same...or worse, new "hairstyle")!!! lol!!
Perhaps Elena is telling you that she also loved the "bald head"! Did she say why she did it, or have you sufficiently gotten over the first wave of shock/anger/etc., to ask? lol!!
Thank you both, for a great start to our otherwise mundane morning!! We love you all!!

Amy said...

Briana, it's cute. Not so much - styled correctly cute. But "I just had fun while mom was sleeping in!" cute. You're little lady enjoyed her morning. And she is still cute:). Having said that, I am so sorry. I know that hair means the world to you. Just remember- this time around it'll all grow back! P.S. I missed you guys so much this weekend.

Liz said...

Ah--memories. Maybe it's genetic, since her daddy gave his little sister quite a haircut once upon a time. And her grandpa cut off his eyebrows! And I remember that Danielle, my little flower girl, trimmed up her bangs right before my wedding!

I say, trim it a little to even it up, and don't worry about the bald spots. They'll grow in. Enjoy the remaining growth and what it represents, and know that she did an entirely normal and common--however frustrating--little girl thing.

Unknown said...

Oh, no! I'm laughing at the same time that I'm gasping. It's shocking, and cute at the same time. At least she cut it by choice, instead of having tufts of her hair fall out all on its own. :) And she's still as cute as ever! I just love that smirk in the last photo. She definitely had a fun morning. Lol.

Anyway, I've got no ideas...maybe just trim it all to the same length and let it grow out again? Or maybe a professional would be able to help a lot. I'm really no help in that department. Good luck! :)

Piano Mom said...

I know you are probably pretty upset about this, but I sort of want to laugh because it's all so cute and you wrote it out so wonderfully. It probably sounds harsh, but have you considered shaving her head? She's a cancer patient...I know we all worship hair, but we also love those little bald heads, and not many moms can just shave their little girls head and call it good. She has a reason to be bald. I hope this all comes out good and in sweetness, because we love you guys and I am so sorry about this!

lea said...

I wont lie...Im laughing! That last picture and the "altar of sacrifice" was all I could handle! That being said...shes adorable with patchy hair! If it were me Id buzz it, but it sounds like shes happy with her work... I totally get the symbolism of the hair....the fact that it is growing back is a symbolic reminder of a fresh new life WITHOUT cancer. I can totally see why its upseting. GOOD LUCK! Keep me posted on what you decide...she'll be beautiful no matter what you choose!

Christy said...

oh no!!!! if it was my child, i would say WHAT A PUNK! but since it's yours i can just laugh. seriously though, i am so sorry!! elena: of all children, you should not be cutting your hair!! crazy girl. but yes, such a funny story, even though i can imagine how angry i would be in your shoes. if i were you, i would take her to a professional. they seem to be able to work miracles, so who knows!

Latu said...

oh man, what a sad milestone! hopefully it's the first as well as the last time!

Ana Rodriguez said...

I would let the bald spots grow in a little, and the take her back to the hairdresser to even it all up. She kind of looks cool, in a rocker sort of way, so you can just let it grow a little!!!

Joseph & Shaylee said...

Oh no! So sad yet too funny. So sorry! What did you end up doing?

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06