So it all started when we were in the hospital last week with Elena.

Well, like we said in earlier posts, we got released after only a few days with an Elena who was doing very well, but just had low counts. We stopped by Eric's sister's house and picked up Lily and then headed home. It was a gorgeous sunny day and we were all on a high from being reunited and out of the hospital, when Eric suddenly said, "Hey, do you want to go see that smokestack?" (Eric and Elena having fun in the morning before I got there)

We had a room with a fantastic view of the Salt Lake Valley (a rarity - it's only happened maybe one other time out of all the times we've been inpatient). One day that we were there was particularly clear and we could see far out across the valley. Eric spotted the Kennecott Smokestack and started freaking out because it is the tallest free-standing structure on this side of the Mississippi, etc, etc, etc. You have to remember that Eric just got back from an engineering study abroad to China studying some of the tallest buildings, biggest bridges, and fastest transportation systems in the world, so he is a little excited about big buildings right now. :) I started challenging his engineering honor and talking about how "it didn't look that big" and that "I was pretty sure that there were skyscrapers in Seattle that were taller" and he started getting heated and googling things and saying that we had to see it in person.
"Sure!" I said and we drove right on past the I-15 junction and headed out to the far off and exotic land of Magna, Utah. :) So began our spontaneous adventure.
It turns out that the smokestack actually is quite tall. Once you get up close, you can better appreciate it.
Here it is in all it's 1,215 foot high glory.
Almost like being back in China :)
With Elena's ANC only at 100, we didn't dare get her out of the car around so many tempting (dirty) things to touch and explore (we just looked at the smokestack from a boring parking lot, so she couldn't get into too much trouble there :)), so we viewed things from the car with a promise to come back and explore some other time when her counts were up.
Elena made up for it by taking lots of pictures of the sights. She asked me for the camera and took these all by herself.

The cutest little four eyes you've ever seen
(Did we mention that she is near-sighted and has astigmatism? We were referred to an opthamalogist because we were worried about complications from the chemo from a lot of things she'd been complaining about. Short story: her eyes are still healthy, but they're going to keep monitoring her because some of the chemo she's on can cause glaucoma, cataracts and other lovely things like that. And she needs glasses!)
At the Saltair (a building on the beach by the Great Salt Lake), we noticed all these Cliff Swallow nests under the eaves. There were tons of them!
Then when we were driving out past the Marina, we saw tons of Yellow Headed Blackbirds! They are a common sight by the shore, but their yellow heads are just so striking we couldn't help but sit and watch them. Bird watching is like a treasure hunt. And yes, we are nerds. :)
It was such a simple little trip, but we were having so much fun seeing new sights. We decided that we need to do random, spontaneous, sight-seeing trips like this way more often - like every spare weekend this summer. There really is so much to see just within a few hour radius in our own backyard of Utah!
On our way home, Eric had another great idea to stop in and grab some Venezuelan food from a little place we know of near Salt Lake.
Lily enjoyed her black beans and rice while they waited for the food.
Mmmmm, arepas. Get in my belly.
It was a lovely day and the perfect way to celebrate being back together and out of the hospital!
8 comments:
Nothing like leaving the hospital to make you appreciate the little things! Sounds like a very nice trip. While I was reading your post McKall came up right when Elenas "four eyes" picture came up. She said, 'ohhhh...look how cute that little girl is with glasses....heavy sigh...I wish I had glasses." Funny girl! So glad your home...
Ahhhhh! Aren't those the bestest kind of adventures?!! So glad that Elena is doing well, Eric is back -safe & sound & you are all, once again, TOGETHER!! Thanks for sharing ALL of the pics, they are great! Loved the pics of the birds, 'specially the yellow-headed blackbird! And, Elena is quite the little "shutterbug"! Her pics were fantastic! LilyBug looked to be really enjoying her black beans & rice...bet she is happy to be able to explore all those new foods! How is she doing?
Big Hugs to all of you!!
Aw, Elena looks so cute with glasses! Although, I'm sorry she needs them. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping nothing bad comes from the chemo, in regards to her eyes.
Anyway, what a fun scenic trip! I'm sorry Elena's counts are so low, but it looks like she and Lily got to see a lot of cool things, at least.
Oh, and this is random, but we may have been in that same hospital room in ICS this weekend! We had the gorgeous view as well, for the first time, and I remember that yellow rocking chair. Hopefully that doesn't sound stalker-ish, but it just crossed my mind. Lol.
Also, did you end up cutting Elena's hair? It looks adorable (and so long!) in the pictures.
Yay! Spontaneous trips are the best!! Were these pictures before or after Miss Elena's mishap with the scissors? I love her with her glasses, so cute!
I love this! Those kinds of crazy little trips are my favorite! Are you guys planning on the Antelope Island picnic for hopekids? I would be awesome if we both were able to actually go!
This year we're going to Emery County (where I'm from)for vacation. There are some many things down there I haven't done or seen in such a long time. I just love traveling to little places around the state!
I also love how much fun Eric is having- he's totally nerding out!
I love Elena's glasses, and am glad she can see better. YAY!
You guys really need to come over and go swimming some time soon. When Elena's counts are up, let me know.
It sounds awesome. And super nerdy:). Who would have thought that a smokestack was that big of a deal to anybody. The food looks delicious, you look beautiful, and those pictures of Eric and Elena make me extremely happy. You two are quite extraordinary parental units if you ask me!
fun! i'm amazed out how many things there are to do in utah that i've never done! shame on me. love the picture of elena in the car seat.
Post a Comment