***Don't forget - last 3 days before the CureSearch walk!! Get signed up/donate! Thanks!***
A lot of people have the Star Raising party to "send them off" before their wish. But for us - because of a variety of factors- we decided to do it as a "wrap up". There is a star hanging in the Utah Make A Wish building for each child who has had a wish granted.
Along with celebrating the wish in general and giving a tour of A Wishing Place to our friends and family, Elena raised her star to join the rest. You might be wondering why the party just happened when her wish was granted 7 months ago. :) We had a Star Raising Party all scheduled back at the beginning of February (family in town and everything), but then Elena won herself a stay in the hospital with pneumonia. And then we embarked on the unexpected HD MTX rounds. And then Eric went to China. But better late than never. Even with another hospitalization and almost thwarted second attempt at the party, we were able to pull it off and it finally happened!
(All pictures courtesy of the lovely and talented Christy)
The lady of the hour
Decorations
Elena's scrapbook page that will be added into the scrapbook at MAW
Some of Elena's guests
Grandpa Hoffman (and Grandma Hoffman) all the way from New Jersey and cousin Lincoln
Uncle Danny, Aunt Kristi, and cousin Jackson from Georgia
(We were also having a family reunion that weekend.... :))
Uncle Rob, Aunt Julie, and a little lady you already know
Aunt Christy and cousin Sophie
Treats
I like this picture for the view of her plate - one of everything: cake, cookies, Hershey kisses, chocolate cupcake. You go, Elena.
Touring "A Wishing Place"
Thumbs up - that's about all there is to say about that. :)
The Star Raising
Elena had been practicing writing her name for weeks. :)
"When You Wish Upon a Star" was played as she raised her star. It was a pretty neat moment.


Now her star is there, too!

Elena and Kent (one of her wishgranters).
Elena's other wishgranter, Heidi, was one of many who showed their love and support by staying away. :) Unfortunately, we missed a lot of people because of sickness since Elena's counts were practically non-existent. But we really appreciate everyone's understanding! Now we just have a good excuse to stop back by A Wishing Place to give more tours. :)
I don't know if we have said this before, but Elena had exceptional wishgranters. They really went above and beyond and exemplified everything that Make A Wish stands for and tries to accomplish. They weren't content with just helping to grant her wish to see the princesses. They arranged for Belle to visit her at her house to tell her that her wish was being granted, they brought us gifts, they visited her in the hospital, they called and sent notes to check on her and wish her well, they arranged a tea party with Belle and the Beast for Elena while she was in the hospital, they were flexible and bent over backwards to accommodate us and work with the craziness of an immuno-compromised child and lots of hospital stays, etc, etc, etc. I could go on and on. We have been so impressed by their kindness and compassion. They have been an inspiration to us and become a model of service and love that we want to follow.
Thanks again Make A Wish for helping all of us feel the power of a wish!!!
9 comments:
Elena is growing up to be a beautiful young little lady! What a treat to have family in town for the special event!
Hope you guys had a great 4th!
It was neat to see the Wishing Place. I'd heard about it from Julie when she was in high school, never considering that I would ever have a reason to see it myself. Make a Wish is truly a wonderful organization. I'm grateful to them for all they've done for you.
I loved watching Elena raise her star.
i need to tell this christy person that if she really is so lovely, she needs to get her bangs cut and under control. ahem.
:)
it was a great evening and i'm so glad we could attend. also glad that elena chose US as the only ones to get a picture with her. ha ha ha ha. miss you guys, and wishing we could be at the walk on saturday!
I love that first picture of Elena! Her hair, her glasses, her dress and sandals and flower... So cute. What an amazing experience you've had with Make A Wish. I'm so grateful that there are people out there with the means and desire to do such wonderful things.
how awesome! what a neat experience for your family⁄! And Elena is so stinkin' adorable, seeing those pixie cut pictures makes me a little sad that she cut her hair.
Yea Elena! I loved that post! What a great experience for you all! I love her hair! (I'm sure it will be back before you know it!!)
She's so adorable! It looks like you guys had a fabulous party. YAY for MAW!
Elena is looking so grown up! I am so glad you guys were able to have such a great experience with make a wish. You look beautiful!
I would like to start my own blog one day. This was a really nice blog that you made here and I just wanted to tell you that it inspired me even more. keep it up.
Post a Comment