Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pretty sure it's the best of all the other 52

A few weeks ago I got to spend one of my favorite weeks of the whole year in one of my favorite places with some of my favorite people in the world doing some of my favorite activities.

What was so wonderful, you ask?

CAMP!!!

That is what we all affectionately call the week in mid-July, spent in the forest in Oregon, teaching 90+ high school students. Officially it's known as the Scott Reese Leadership Camp. In a nutshell, it's a drum major, colorguard, and marching band leadership camp.

But, it's so much more than that. It is life-changing. It is incredible. It is my favorite! :)

I don't think I've ever mentioned camp on the blog before and I'm struggling to adequately convey how amazing it is and how much I LOVE being apart of it. So, will you just take my word that it is out of this world and that it means a lot to me?

Blog-o-sphere meet Camp. Camp, Blog-o-sphere.

There, now we're all nice and comfy and acquainted, right?

This was my 10th year at camp! (Two as a camper and eight on staff.) Wow, does time fly. From year one, it changed my life, but this year was life-changing in another way. I missed last year because Elena was recently diagnosed and I couldn't leave her. Of course I missed camp like crazy, but I didn't realize how much I had missed it until I was back this year. I've struggled this last year like I didn't know I could struggle. I have felt like my batteries have been constantly draining and never really refilling for about 18 months straight, starting with the normal "just had a baby" stress when Lily was born and continuing until about two weeks ago. Going to camp was lifesaving for me! I could literally feel the life pouring back into me throughout the week. It was wonderful to go to far away to a beautiful place, with no kids, no cancer, none of my "everyday" responsibilities, and teach the stuff that I love and get to help make a difference in kids lives in one short week. It was a wonderful creative outlet. And I laughed like I haven't laughed in the longest time. I felt like me again! I can't tell you how refreshing and amazing it was to "get away" from cancer, if only for a week, and to focus on something else, knowing my kids were in good hands.

I don't have time or words to tell you every little detail of camp or even to give you a basic breakdown of what the week was like. So, instead I'm just going to sum up some of the awesomeness by introducing you to the staff and showing a few pictures from the performance on the last day of camp.

Our staff is like family - we're incredibly close and we have a riot together. For instance: one day, about mid-week, we decided that we needed to take professional Space Camp portraits. "Space Camp", you ask? What do band people make fun of at a band camp? Space camp, of course. :) Space Camp is a long running joke between us. Anyways, the results were hilarious and one example of the awesomeness of the people I work with. :)



And now a closer look (we named ourselves):

Suzanna (aka Alan)

Sheeba (aka Cari)

Piper (aka Brian)
Persephone (aka Willow)
Millie (aka Johanna)
JJ (aka Scott)
Kenton (aka Shaun)
Helga (aka Me)
Heather - she really didn't want to be at Space Camp (aka Sam)
Beverly (aka Brianna)
Cindy (aka my dear Emily, who I teach the guard with)
Darla (aka Jen)

Reanne (aka Cat)

Chaz (aka Jon)

SPACE CAMP!

Man, do I love those guys! We all look a little crazy :), but the truth is the people on staff are some of the best of the best at what they do- world class motivational speakers, instructors of top-notch groups, and just overall incredibly talented, awesome people (well, except I'm not sure how I got on staff... fo reals). It is such an honor for me to work with them. All week I would have moments - during a seminar or watching someone teach - where I was simultaneously overcome with pride and incredibly humbled to be on staff with such amazing people.

And here's a few pictures from the performance the kids put on, on the last day of camp. There are four "tracks" at camp: drum major, colorguard, field tech, and college. Each track has a "specialty" that they perform, along with a few other camp wide performances.

The Willow Dance

My Guard!

Field Techs

Drum Majors

Collegiates

The Required Drill

The Specialty - this year it was a tongue in cheek rendition of West Side Story


I can't wait for next year!!

7 comments:

Us'ens said...

Oh!My!Gosh! So sorry that we missed you this time...but, we have it on the calendar for next year!!
I know how very much you enjoy it, I've seen it first hand!! The teaching, the staff, the final day!! Have thoroughly enjoyed the ones that I/we have seen...the kids did an amazing job!!
So glad that you got to go this year, so thankful that Elena & everyone else was healthy enough so that you were comfortable in going!!
Next year!!
Love & Hugs to all!!

syellen said...

Yay! Looks like fun and I am glad you could have the opportunity to relax! Kinda makes me miss marching band!

Cassidy @ Thrillingly Thrifty said...

Oh man oh man! I miss that camp SO MUCH! And I only went 2 years - I cant imagine how hard it was for you to miss last year.

Logan Family said...

Oh my goodness, camp!!!! The willow dance!!! Emily!!! The specialty show!!! I miss it so much. Camp was one of the "funnest" places ever! I am so jealous that you get to go. It looks like you had a blast.

Liz said...

So glad you had a week to rejuvenate and recharge!

Me said...

Haha, I can't get over those space camp pictures! You guys are so weird, I love it!

Christy said...

i can imagine that it is so, so fun, especially doing it with people you enjoy so much! ALTHOUGH, i must say, the best week of all the year??? have you forgotten our park city weekend already? there is no way that ANY camp could top that. i REFUSE to believe it. :)

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06