Day 6: Event - Attend the WACKY Warrior's 4th Annual Cancer Charity Softball Tournament in Salt Lake City. This year we've lost several cancer friends. One of those, Nick Raitt, had formed an organization with his family called WACKY Warriors (Warriors Against Cancer in Kids and Young adults) to raise money and awareness for childhood/adolescent cancer.

Isn't that incredible for a young man to do that? I wish I was that good of a person when I was his age. Nick had Rhabdomyosarcoma and after several relapses, he lost his battle in June. This softball tournament was one of his favorite events and his family is carrying on in his honor.
Some information: The tournament will be held Friday and Saturday, September 9th and 10th in Salt Lake City. It is ASA youth/girls fastpitch, but I believe there are some events (relays and skills contests) for the whole family on Friday night. All money raised benefits CureSearch for Children's Cancer and First Descents. To learn more about the schedule of events, how to sign up, etc. visit:
and here is the facebook page about the event:
There will also be a blood drive at the Salt Lake Cottonwood Complex and an Alex's Lemonade Stand held at this event on Saturday. Alex's Lemonade Stand is an outstanding charity started by a young girl with cancer that raises money for cancer research. Basically it's a lemonade stand/bake sale, but the money goes toward childhood cancer research. I'll talk more about this in future posts. Or you can go here to read more now: www.alexslemonade.org. So, even if the tournament doesn't work/interest you, you can just stop in and buy a cup of lemonade and donate blood.
If you don't live in the area and would still like to help, you can go to the first link (to the WACKY warriors page) and donate there.
No comments:
Post a Comment