We each picked out our design (well, except Lily - we picked hers for her :))- a ghost for Eric, oak leaves for me, a skeleton with a bat for Elena, and a "Y" for Lily- and set to work.
We lost Lily about 3/4 of the way through - it was too far past her bedtime- but the three of us pressed on. Carving pumpkins is a lot of work! I turned on "The Sing-Off" radio station on Pandora to help get us through. Mmmhmm. (Is anyone else watching?? We aren't big "TV" people, but we are obsessed with this show! Aaahh, someone else watch, so we can talk about it! We are dying!) We got three pumpkins done and then decided to call it a night and finish the last one another time (maybe... :)).
Here were the results:
Mmm, so festive!
And yes, I said, those were the results. I'm really glad I took pictures right away and didn't wait for another night.
The next morning Eric found the five chickens gathered around our poor pumpkins, greedily pecking and nibbling away at our hard work. Gah! I would be lying if I said I didn't feel like drop kicking a chicken right then and there. I'm not opposed to chickens - we hope to have some ourselves someday when we own some land. And I fully believe that they should be roaming rather than cooped up. And my girls honestly really, really enjoy the "bawk-bawks". It's just that ever since one of them came up and started attacking me and biting and pecking my feet and chasing me for no reason a couple of months ago, I've kind of had a love hate relationship with them. And this was rubbing salt in the wound! They couldn't even wait a few days. No, not twelve hours after we had been slaving away, perfecting our pumpkins, those darn hens came and finished them off.
This picture is pretty generous - the pumpkins look worse in real life. Elena's skeleton is beheaded, my oak leaves look like weird blobby holes, and the "Y" is completely bedraggled.
Doesn't she look so defiant?
That's right - run away! And sleep with one eye open because I just might feel like chicken for dinner one of these days...
10 comments:
Oh, I laughed out loud when you said you wanted to drop kick the chicken! Ha! I probably would have felt the same way.
The pumpkins looked great!! Did you draw the leaves or did you find a pattern? They look really cool. I'm always trying to find cool pumpkin carving patterns. I cannot draw to save my life, so I really can't freehand them.
Argh! Darn chickens! You guys are expert pumpkin carvers!! I don't think we've ever carved a pumpkin together, but this year we decided we'd better start a tradition. We carved 1--Dustin made it into a car for Cameron.
YES! We watch The Sing-Off. We haven't seen the most recent episode, but hopefully we'll be able to catch up on it tonight after Cameron's in bed or something--it's a daily ritual of ours after he's in bed to watch something online while I scrapbook. It is actually one of my favorite parts of the day--watching good shows, getting projects done, and spending time with Dustin--all at once!!!
P.S in that post below, Lily looks so much like you!
HA! loved the post, briana. how rude of those chickens. who knew they liked to eat pumpkin. bizarro. i am very impressed with your pumpkin carving skills though. do y'all do it without a cheat paper? that is truly impressive. i miss maceys. super good deals and very nice people. i had no idea about the diaper thing. that rocks!!
also, i love your halloween lights. so festive!
PS- what is this sing off of which you speak? i am intrigued.
Anna and Christy: Eric is the artist and master pumpkin carver - not me! :) I do the simple things like the "Y" or "Trick or treat". :) Sometimes we make up our own patterns and sometimes we use patterns we find. This year we used patterns on all of them. Usually we just google image search "pumpkin carving" and there are lots of ideas. If we see one we like, Eric transfers the picture over to "Microsoft Paint" and then enlarges the image to fit the size of the pumpkin. Then we print it out, tape it on the pumpkin and start poking.
Anna: the specific leaf pattern I used is found here (using the "paint" instructions above to blow up the picture into a pattern) -
http://frugalinfortworth.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/free-pumpkin-carving-stencils-and-jack-o-lantern-pattern-ideas-over-60-free-downloads/
There is another stencil I thought was really pretty here: http://www.marthastewart.com/275639/halloween-pumpkin-carving-patterns-and-p/@center/276965/halloween#/209356
Amy and Christy: Yessss! The Sing Off!
Amy, my friend that I work with at the marching band leadership camp in the summer is in "Delilah" - Jo! Isn't that so cool?! That's how I got turned on to the show because she was telling us this summer that she was going to be on it.
I'm majorly pulling for "Afro-Blue", "Delilah", and of course "Vocal Point". Love them something fierce! We think Pentatonix is pretty interesting and entertaining, as well. And I wish the "Yellow Jackets" would get kicked off already.
Christy: You must watch it, so I can gush to you!! :) It's a vocal competition show (kind of like "American Idol" you could say - except way cooler!) featuring a capella groups. Sounds ok-ish, right? I didn't think it sounded particularly compelling when I first heard about it, but it is AWESOME! Eric and I are both totally hooked. Eric said the other night when we were watching it, "I usually don't like things like this. This is weird for me, but I LOVE this show and I'm kind of addicted to it." :) The people on it are so talented - truly talented and great musicians. It's really entertaining in general and for the music lover in me. It's on Monday nights on NBC, but since we don't have TV, we watch it online on Tuesdays (go to www.nbc.com and they broadcast the full show the day after).
Briana, That is so awesome that you know Jo. I really like Delilah-especially their most recent performance. Afro-Blue is one of my favorites too, as is Pentatonix. I actually enjoy watching The Yellow Jackets--they're a lot of fun. I love Vocal Point too, but wasn't as impressed with their most recent performance as I have been with all of their others. I love seeing people represent BYU and the church--oh man, Dustin and I are really missing Utah Valley!
Those pumpkins are amazing. You people got skills. And I would have been furious, too. So you're in good company :)
nice pumpkins! and i would totally be chasing those chickens and show them who's boss.
Post a Comment