Saturday, December 10, 2011

Or not...

Little update: Elena's still got something going on. We're basically watching and waiting until Monday. If she's still fevering, then we'll go in again for some more testing.

And can I just say: prayers are answered!! I know that the Lord is aware of us and that He hears our prayers even if He tells us to wait sometimes. He always provides - although sometimes it's just a step at a time in the darkness. Eric and I are so overwhelmed by the love and generosity people show to our family. I love this Christmas season where we can so plainly feel the love of our Father in Heaven through people's kindness and for the hope we have because of the Savior, Jesus Christ.

I just had to get that out. And now... on to the post.

*****************************

The other day Elena and I got onto a conversation about some of the symbols of Christmas (holly, wreaths, candy canes, etc.). This led to a discussion of why we give presents, which I seized upon to try and teach her a little more about one of our traditions. On Christmas morning, before we open presents, we pause for a few minutes to start by writing down a gift that we'd like to give to the Savior. Generally it's something we want to do better that we can work on through the year (having daily personal prayers, temple attendance, speaking kindly with each other, etc, etc.). It's a personal, reflective moment and a pretty solemn "goal" we set. The physical act of writing out the "gift" and setting it on the Christmas tree and the fact that it is a real gift we are trying to give the Savior is extra good motivation as we strive throughout the year.

I was trying to help Elena understand that Jesus doesn't want toys or other physical things, but that he wants us to try and be better and follow the commandments. So I listed a few easy examples for her: speaking kindly to Lily, smiling at people, sharing. She chimed in, "Singing?"

"Yes, Jesus loves to hear us sing. So you could sing loud in church or make sure to always sing our song before bed." (We sing a church song before bed and sometimes when she's in a mood or mad at us, she won't participate.)

I wrapped it up by telling her to start thinking about what gift she would like to give the Savior and that we'd write it down on Christmas morning. Elena listed off a few more possibilities she was thinking of and I added, "Or obedience. You could work extra hard to obey mom and dad. That would be a great gift to Jesus." Obedience is something we're struggling with in a MEGA way - Elena will just not listen 80% of the time it feels like and Eric and I feel at our wits end many days.

Elena's response? "Oh, mom- you're funny!"

7 comments:

Me said...

Man, you are such an awesome Mom! I cracked up with that story about Elena. What a sweetheart. Would you be super annoyed with me if we started that tradition as well? I love that. It really brings the focus back to where it should be during Christmas time, and always.

Anonymous said...

and you thought it was going to be that easy... silly rabbit. You are a great mom and she is awesome. you will all be fine. Keep up the good work and setting examples. I love you all so much and wish we were there.

Julie Lyman said...

HA HA! Thats AWESOME! at least you get a few laughs with this gal of yours!

Christy said...

HA!!!! seriously briana, where's the fun in that? always being obedient. highly overrated. you are such a jokester. :D

i like your tradition. we've done something similar in FHEs before christmas, but i like the idea of having it closer to the actual holiday. maybe a cool christmas eve activity. (christmas eve always seems holier then christmas morning to me-- maybe because i'm greedy. :) kidding, kidding.)

Amy said...

Funny indeed. That ain't never gonna happen, sistah:). You should show Elena Ella Enchanted. It's Jo's new favorite movie. Tell her that if she doesn't start obeying maybe a fairy will come give her the gift of obedience... how would she like that? Love you guys! Thanks for letting me come over last night and for the treats and good talk.

Liz said...

Elena's hilarious! Love it.

Chelsie said...

I hope you're able to get this all figured out!

I just love Elena! She is so funny and sassy! I'm sure you were simultaneously laughing and a little flustered at her response!

Let me know how things are going. We'd love to bring by Elena's Christmas gift when she's feeling well (fingers crossed you guys get one of those ASAP).

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06