I used a needle and thread. I sewed. And measured. And snipped and glued and wrapped.
I know, I know. It is shocking. But I warned you all about this several months ago. :)
It was quite an adventurous project. Because while I enjoy cute things, I cannot create them myself. I buy cute things, I don't make them. I really don't feel like I have a crafty, artistic bone in my body. And I'm not just being down on myself or overly modest. I can admit that I do have talents.
I'm a pretty decent cook.
I can be a little bit musical.
I can shake my booty at Zumba. ;)
I have a freakishly good photographic memory and can call up random names and phone numbers and people's "favorites" on demand.
I'm a very fast reader, a good speller, and good at word games.
Those are my talents. Not sewing, decorating, crafting, designing.
Nevertheless, necessity forced my hand as Christmas drew near. Money was tight and there was going to be no buying. I had Eric's sister, Julie, in our "sibling gift drawing" for Christmas. For a while I was completely at a loss about what to do for her. But then one day in a brilliant flash of inspiration, the idea came into my head: make headbands and hair accessories. I vaguely remembered things I'd seen and read about crafty people upcycling old clothes and scrap fabric. And I knew Julie had really been wanting headbands and cute hair things. After an excited ransacking of our closets, several hours spent researching online "how to" tutorials, and a few more hours spent psyching myself up, I dived in. I spent the better part of a month working on it all and despite a few nasty hot blue gun burns and many pricked fingers, on Christmas Eve I had a nice box chock full of beautiful hair decorations to deliver.
I have to tell you the whole process was pretty thrilling - even for one who does not "craft", like me! Upcycling is insanely addicting. There is nothing like seeing something previously labeled as "old" or "ruined" or "unwanted" and then turning it into something new and cute. The majority of the hairpieces were made from old shirts, blankets, and scrap fabric! I'm telling you it was the coolest transformation process! It also got quite addicting keeping an eye out for things around the house that I could steal to use in my project. :) It was a nice feeling to clear out our closets a little. And it was all done for pennies on the dollar.
Here is my work area the day that I started. I had to take a picture because I could hardly believe it.
I have my years teaching colorguard to thank for the fact that I even owned fabric scissors and a fabric marker (and some scrap flag fabric to boot!). :)
I got a bunch of ugly headbands from the dollar store and wrapped them in cute ribbon I already had.
This was when I was about halfway done. I didn't get a picture of all of them that I ended up making, but you can get an idea.
Some close-ups - all headbands with the exception of the top right, which is a pin for a cardigan, etc.)

My craftiness also extended to some earrings that I made out of an old necklace we inherited from my great grandma after she passed away. We used it as a dress-up for Elena, but it broke. I didn't want to just throw it away, since the beads were so cute. And then one day I had the idea to make earrings for my the ladies in our family as a way to have a little piece of my great grandma to remember.
So, there you go. If you're still reading, it means you haven't passed out from the shock of it all. Good job. :)
11 comments:
I LOVE THEM! Way to go!! I loved the way you talked about how non-crafty you are, and the talents that you do have. I feel the same away about crafts--I have to be guided through something completely, and then MAYBE it will turn out looking decent, or maybe it will turn out looking home-made....
WAY TO GO!!
These are wonderful! They look great! My favorites are the earrings. I just love sentimental things! love them! Fabulous job! Maybe we'll have to have a crafting date ;)
Oh my dear, how I love you and think you are so funny.... these headbands are beautiful and as you know we love the earrings. be careful you might just fing you're inner crafter ;0)
And can I tell you how excited Julie was when she opened that gift on Christmas morning?! I was there as a first hand witness--and she was thrilled!
You are so awesome! We are going to have to get together to make more headbands since you have gone pro!
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Even though I would consider myself "crafty", I'm terrible at accessories - like headbands and earrings! I think I may just have to copy some of your designs there Briana! So cute!
I'm so impressed! I LOVE making hair bows! I sometimes zone out making them while watching TV after Harlow goes to bed. I have never thought of upcycling though for the materials - now I will!
You forgot to mention that you write beautifully. I LOVE reading your blogs! And the crafts are really cute!
you keep saying you're not crafty... and then you come up with these amazing crafts. i'm not buying it one more day. BRIANA IS CRAFTY!! :D
really, the headbands are super cute. i am jealous that julie has such a large supply. it's so hard to borrow (steal) from another state... maybe you will have to teach us at girl's trip 2012. brilliant!
You are also good at being really ridiculously good-looking.
makes me want to make more hair things, I only chance putting them into Lucy's hair once a week for Sundays, she is horrible at keeping them in. These are so cute, I love the felt flower pin, one of my favorites!
Post a Comment