This is hugetime, folks.
Elena is done with treatment. She's done with cancer. She doesn't have cancer. She had cancer. She beat it. She won. She is a survivor.
She's officially DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Saturday, July 14th, Elena took her last oral chemo at home and that marked the official end of treatment. On Wednesday, we marked July 18th - two years and four months after she was diagnosed. It has been the fastest and slowest two year and four months of our lives. We are so grateful to be here on this side of things. It is an unbelievable, surreal, wonderful place to be. It seemed so impossible back at the beginning, but we have made it. The Lord has blessed us and carried us through with His miraculous power and matchless, sweet love and care. I wish with all my heart that Elena wouldn't have had to suffer so much the last few years, but I am eternally grateful for the experiences we've had and the things we've learned.
February 2010 - almost 2.5 years old
July 2012 - almost 5 years old
It is both extremely liberating and terrifying to think that there is nothing fighting off cancer cells in her little body except for her little body. No chemo to lean on. Exhilarating and SCARY! I wonder when Elena coming up to me and saying, "I'm tired" won't make my heart stop and a pit form in my stomach. I'm sure it will change someday - it'll just take time and a proven track record. And some deep breathes. And faith that everything will turn out right in the end - no matter what.
We're hunkering down at home this weekend to celebrate - Elena style. Next week I'll be back with recaps of what we've been up to over the last month - it's been a busy, glorious one! And also with more end of cancer wrap-up stuff.
Here's to our new life!!!

11 comments:
Amen. I'm just so happy we can experience this joy together. It increases my joy exponentially to see both of our girls slaughter cancer not with bitterness and hatred (sure there were plenty of moments of anger and sadness), but with giggles and sweetness and dancing and butterflies and princesses and every other sweet and wonderful thing. It is just so beautiful. Elena is so beautiful. We are lucky that we know her and that we will be able to watch her become an amazing woman.
So happy!
Here's to life...May all your storms be weathered and All that's good get better!
Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!! Finally! An awesome day of celebration! Live it up :-) We are so happy for you guys!
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!
I was talking with a cancer survivor in our ward this week (nearly five years) and she said she finally has days when she never thinks about cancer, but it has been a long time coming.
I especially liked your description of the small, normal changes now that Elena's finished with treatment. Cancer has truly ruled your lives, and I'm so happy for you that it is behind you!
i am SO happy. i hope your celebrations were grand. 2.5 years ago this seemed like a lifetime away, but now you guys have done it. WOW!!! congrats to all of you, and especially to the spunky elena. i'm so glad she can play at the park and in the dirt now. love you all!
what a HUGE celebration!!! I'm excited to read all about it!!
A most glorifying moment for all of you. Get stronger, Elena, and enjoy this wonderful life. We will be watching for your smiles from afar.
Love always,
Grampa and Gramma in Oregon
I can't even find the words to tell you how happy I was to read this post See? "Happy" really doesn't do it...
Big hugs to you all <3
Hooray! What exciting news! I hope you guys have fun with your celebration!
AMAZING! So exciting!
Post a Comment