Friday, October 19, 2012

Some things...

Some things in life make me shake my head.

Right now the girls are sitting on the couch behind me watching Elf and there are snowflakes and elves and Santa flitting on and off the screen. I have the blinds drawn because it is 93 degrees outside and the hot is trying to be inside- in spite of the fact that it's October 19th.

That makes me shake my head.

Earlier today, the girls and I were at a cardiologist appointment for Lily. Nothing alarming - just another chapter in the ongoing saga of "What in the world is up with Miss Lily's body?!". We were waiting to get some tests done and I was filling out medical history paper work. At one point, I laughed derisively at what I had been writing and then set the pen down and texted Eric:

"Our family is ridiculous. I'm filling out medical history paperwork and I realized Lily has had four hospitalizations and four surgical procedures in her two and a half years. Lily now has two gastroenterologists, one ENT doctor, one cardiologist, and a pediatrician. Elena has an oncologist (or two or three or ten maybe), an opthamologist, an endocrinologist, a pediatrician, and soon a psychologist. What's wrong with us?!"

"Maybe we're the ones who need to see a psychologist." He texted back.

Yeah. Two for two? This also has me shaking my head.

But there are a lot of things in life that keep me smiling.

Like today when we picked up Eric and went to the Costco food court for lunch. Before lunch we made two detours. Our first stop was to browse the Christmas displays for the hundredth time. It never gets old - Christmas!! It's coming! And then we made the rounds of the sample tables. It was a particularly lucky sample day as they were sampling imported European specialty cheeses. Brie! And some divine tart white cheese with cranberries. Mmmm... I'm not much for the average cheese off the shelf, but I have a soft spot for specialty cheeses. About halfway through the store, we ran upon samples of salmon. Our whole family - down to the smallest member- LOVES salmon. Eric asked what the salmon was cooked in and I walked off  with my miniature cup to share with Lily.

"Here Lily, do you want some salmon?" I asked excitedly as I popped the forkful into her mouth. Just as Lily was swallowing, Elena came running over,

"No, mom! It has butter!"

Eric confirmed that it was cooked in butter. I had a momentary lapse of vigilance and automatically assumed it was safe since we make it at home and it's on the "Lily approved" list (=no dairy), as we say. Bad mom. But, I got a big grin as I thought about Elena being such a thoughtful, mature big sister. The fact that she was listening to the ingredient list and then connected that Lily couldn't have the salmon. When did she get so grown up? She's always looking out for Lily and it makes my heart so happy to watch.

When we got home this afternoon, Elena set to work drawing. After a while she ran over to show me her latest masterpiece, "Girl sitting under a fruit tree". She's become quite the little artist over the last few months. It tickles me to see her creations and get a look inside her little mind.


Life may be crazy at times. Lots of times, it seems. But these are two little somethings that keep me smiling. 





I'm so grateful that through it all - the frustrations and worries and disappointments and stress - I get their sweet little smiles and snuggles. 


Today I'm so thankful for lunch breaks, daughters, European cheese, weekends, Christmas lights, and my dear, dear family.

9 comments:

Nana's Spot said...

I know I frequently comment about how much I love the blogs...BUT, I DO! The pictures are adorable and warm the "carkles" of my heart. Thank you so much for blogging! I appreciate all the sentiments expressed. I'm so impressed how you express your thoughts.

Amy said...

I love this. You are growin such an amazing family!

Christy said...

those two cute faces would keep anyone smiling. they are so sweet.

also, costco samples are my favorite. free lunch! ;)

gosh, miss lily, some answers would be nice! i am so sorry for all the doctors. four surgeries?! that is truly crazy. did you get the cardiologist results back yet? i forgot to ask when we chatted.

and finally, i actually have been enjoying this october. we have been opening our windows in the mornings and evenings, our house has stayed mostly cool and the AC has hardly had to come on all day. i would prefer a little cooler afternoons, but 90 isn't so bad in the shade. :) sometimes i laugh at what makes me "cold" now. i've been sending sophie to school with a cardigan! haha.

Briana said...

Christy: I've also had some begrudging moments of admiration for the weather here. :) It is pretty pleasant in the shade most days - which is a big change! And the mornings have been absolutely delightful (delightful, but not fall like, it has to be noted :)). I told Eric, although I'm sad about missing a real fall and winter, I can see the beauty in this, too. I can see that it'll be pleasant here in the winter.

Eric told me he heard on the radio that we've been about 10 degrees above average for this time of year the last couple of weeks here. What the heck, Arizona?? Seriously, the year that I move here? See, what I mean... I try and offer a compliment to this state, but it never gives me anything in return. Haha. :)

Anonymous said...

The cardiologist did an EKG and an Echo-cardiogram. Her heart looks perfectly healthy. :) We are glad that one is checked of the list to explain her symptoms.

-Eric

Us'ens said...

We LOVE you guys!!! Keep on bloggin'...Hugs to all!

Courtney said...

You are amazing, I can't imagine how frustrating the health problems are. But what adorable little people you have! And so sorry about the heat, I must admit I'm savoring the fall in Virginia this year.

Liz said...

I'm so behind! I hadn't heard about the cardiologist appointment--glad it turned up a healthy heart! Thanks for sharing, and yes--you've had more than your share of doctors, etc.! It was so good to see you in Park City :)

Chelsie said...

We need to figure out some sort of portal so we can walk back and forth between houses and get doses of warmth and fall whenever we both need ;)

I'm glad things were good with Lily's cardiology appointment.

Even though I know you have lots and lots and lots that you are so grateful for, it is sometimes so hard when you step back and look at all of it. There are moments of such joy and others where you're not holding it together very well at all.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06