Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My beautiful, beautiful Utah and other fun things from the weekend

As part of my new job working for Family Vacation Network, I got to travel to Park City this last weekend. Woot for perks. :) Making it 1,000 times better was the fact that all the family got to come along on this trip, too! The awesomeness of the trip came from many sides:

-a stay in a beautiful resort in Park City
-seeing and working with some of my favorite people in the world
-getting to meet and thoroughly squish a new niece
-lots of time hanging out with family
-sharing a BYU football game with family (even if it was a heartbreaking 4th quarter...)
-GORGEOUS fall weather and changing leaves
-gorgeous FALL weather and changing leaves
-wearing jeans and coats because of said GORGEOUS FALL weather
-did I mention it was gorgeous and cool and smelled like fall and there were changing leaves and fall colors everywhere?

:)

After a busy day of preparations, we picked up Eric from work on our way out of town on Thursday. He brought a long a very thick engineering code book for the ride, which he jokingly handed to Lily as he got in the car and said, "Here, Lil! I got you a book to read." Lily hasn't learned all of Eric's teasing ways yet and promptly got to work reading. :)



We drove through the night (good times) and pulled into Park City just in time to see the sunrise over the mountains. So beautiful. And we got out of the car and it was cold. Cold, I tell you! I had forgotten what it was like to shiver after 6 months of living in Arizona. It was wonderful (since it's mid-October and all...)!

The resort as we drove up

There was a busy and fun couple of days of meetings and planning. I work with the best people in the world and even working doesn't feel much like working. It's fun and invigorating. In the middle of a planning meeting, we took a break for "Fun Camp" pictures. Which is an inside joke too long to explain, but as you can see it involves the #1 and cheesy smiles. I love those people.

Cari and Becky

Me and Scott

Jon and Emily

On Saturday afternoon, we headed down Provo canyon to go meet up with family in S-ville. And I have to say this was such a blessing for me. My heart has been aching for real fall weather so much. We just cooled off to the mid-90's here in AZ. Which I'm grateful for. But it's not fall. It's hot and the trees don't turn colors here. Fall and winter are my favorite seasons and Utah has a particularly GORGEOUS fall season with the trees changing on the mountains. So, coming from that.... there's been a pretty big hole in my heart this year. I heard friend's and family's accounts of the fall beauty there, but didn't think there was any way I'd get to see it myself this year. And then to have a (somewhat) unexpected trip to Utah pop up - and then on top of that to actually get to drive down Provo canyon in all it's fall glory?! It was a huge tender mercy for me. It was SOOOOO beautiful! This probably sounds over the top. Why am I so emotionally connected to seasons and climates and landscapes? I don't know. I always have been. I'm a four seasons girl through and through. To some people 75 and sunny all year round sounds like paradise. To me that sounds depressing. I definitely need four distinct seasons. Cool, gray, cloudy days are invigorating and beautiful to me. (I blame it on being born in Oregon - I came out loving that weather.) Anyhow, this weekend just meant a lot to me.

Some of many shots of my beautiful Utah in the fall:

Coming out of Park City (and one very happy Briana) - the fall colors were AMAZING.

Towards the end of the canyon - can you even handle it?!


Bridal Veil Falls


And two sleepy cuties in the back. :)

We met up at Mom and Dad Hoffman's house for the best salsa on planet earth and a BYU football game watching party. It was a great game to watch - until the end of the 4th quarter. But let's not talk about that...

The gang

I don't think there was any cheering left to be done at this point, but they pretend well. :)

In the evening, we headed over to the Strong's house for dinner and games and snuggling new baby Abigail.

I couldn't resist snapping a picture of the living room - it was so cozy and fall-like. This picture doesn't do it justice, but they always do a good job getting into the Septober spirit. 

We tried out a new game called, "Aye, Dark Overlord"- which was hilarious.

Abigail thinks it's never too early to start learning how to play.

The kids had a blast playing together. We hardly heard a peep from them all night - they were so content to play. Elena and Atticus tried out some Halloween costumes.

And then I had fun taking bunches of pictures of this sweet, sweet little lady. She was two and a half weeks old when we saw her and just the cutest little peanut there ever was! I'd like to place an order for one. :)


 Eric and Abigail got in some good snuggles.


See?! Such a squeezable little bebe!!

Lily was also fascinated and much in love with Baby Abigail. :)

Our gang gathered just before departure. Cousins are so fun!

And finally, several hours later than we should have, we reluctantly loaded ourselves in the car and set off for Arizona. And enjoyed several more hours of stunning scenery along the way. 

Eric and I got hit with what we think was food poisoning on the way home. It hit both of us about halfway through the trip. Let's just say that was a long six hours. Everything inside of you wanting to be outside of you mixed with a long, sometimes bumpy, ride is pretty awful. Hopefully we don't ever have to make the trip that way again! But we're on the mend now. :) And so happy for a great weekend in Utah and a little fix of fall.

11 comments:

Joseph & Shaylee said...

Well your new job sounds amazing! I am so glad that you got to enjoy Utah and real fall weather. Your trip looked like fun. :)

Julie Lyman said...

Uh, that game looks more like Dominion! A Lyman favorite! I think we should play! Next time you come up let me know and I'll plan a get together.... and remember st george is open for you if needed. One day maybe we will come visit you! :) I LOVE VACATIONS!

Nana's Spot said...

I'm so glad you could make the trip and take such wonderful pictures. We spent the weekend in western PA...Grandpa's 62nd h.s. class reunion. I love going...it's one place I'm younger! The scenery in PA can't be beat. I was so nostalgic coming down off the mountain to come back to NJ...not nostalgic for NJ but for younger us in PA.

Me said...

Briana! How could you do this for me?! I am so homesick for Utah after this post. Not really for the scenery necessarily, but it is freaking gorgeous in Indiana actually, but I miss family. Ahh...geez. I love the west. Looks like a blast, yay for a new cool job!

Me said...

I meant "How you do this TO me?" :)

Anna said...

Oh my gosh. Utah is the most beautiful place. Truly. I miss it. Glad you got to enjoy, even if I am a wee bit jealous.

Us'ens said...

It DEF has to do with being born in Oregon!! The seasons here...ALL FOUR OF THEM...are absolutely beautious!!! This time of the year, driving up the McKenzie River area, breathtaking!!
Beautiful pics, and sounds like a great deal of fun times were enjoyed!!
Love and Hugs to you all!!

Christy said...

okay briana, but i have just one question: did you like the weather? and how do you really feel about utah? ;)

ha ha ha. truly, those pictures are beautiful! i've heard utah's fall this year has been especially amazing. we need to plan visits during this time of year, for sure. thanks for sharing all the pictures-- i so wish i could have been with you all to meet miss Abigail and see all the family. it looks so fun! and i'm glad things are going well with the job!

Christy said...

i also have to say that the leaves DO turn colors here (at least down here)! and they fall off the trees. i can't quite remember when, maybe december? also, after living through a year of arizona weather, i think there ARE four seasons. hellishly hot (june-august, with some monsoons thrown in to mix it up), summer (september-october), fall (november-january), spring (february-march), and summer again (april-may). there ya go. ;)

Chelsie said...

What a fun and invigorating trip for you guys! Although I really do not like winter, I understand what you mean by being in touch with the seasons. There is something special about the air with the seasons are changing. Glad you were able to be a part of it!

Kendra Owens said...

I was wondering if you could tell me more about your job. I would love to learn more and look into it my self....can you email me at pkendraleigh@gmail.com

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06