Monday, February 18, 2013

And now for the words

Well, we are having a baby!

A few more words:

-I'm 14 weeks along. Due August 20th.

-We'd probably be rich if we would have bought stock in these. 
Can you grow a healthy human being when you're subsisting on ginger ale and saltine crackers? We've been testing that theory with this baby. Seriously the first trimester = copious amounts of ginger ale, saltine crackers, orange juice, and cereal, period. Sorry baby. But we made it! And I'm feeling SO much better now. I still can't talk about lentils or most soup. But I'm kind of on that "I've been sick for so long and now I feel SOOOOOO good!! This rocks!" :) Hello, second trimester.



-For the first time ever, I got to have an early ultrasound at 9 weeks. The picture we captured really isn't very clear at all, but it still makes my heart go pitter patter. Because it reminds me that on the screen we very clearly saw a little baby head, little baby arms and legs moving and kicking, and a strong little heartbeat. It was such a treat!

-Last night I had (another) nightmare about waking up to big, bright red patches of blood and the start of a miscarriage. I definitely have been and continue to be on egg shells this time around. But I'm so grateful to be at this point and I just keep telling myself that after all those symptoms, seeing/hearing a good strong heartbeat, etc. that this one is here to stay.

-True to (my) form, I've been sporting a pretty decent bump for the last couple of weeks. The only photographic evidence I've gotten so far is this picture from the girl's trip I went on a week and a half ago. (That's another post, too!) I've been sporting sweats 90% of the time here at home (don't judge) and on this trip (when I actually tried to wear real clothes. Remember, don't judge.) I realized that none of my jeans fit anymore. Problem. I promptly hit up Kid to Kid after arriving home and got myself some maternity pants. Bring it on, I say. I'm anxiously awaiting the point where the bump is legit enough for me to feel more than just squishy, but three kids into this business I'm finally learning and getting comfortable with the fact that this is how my body does pregnancy. (Anyone else want to burn that stupid "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book that says over and over again, "You won't be showing yet.", "You can't possibly look pregnant yet.", "You won't show for several weeks yet."?! There are a thousands of different body types and each body does pregnancy differently, authors of that book! Hello!) And that works for me.

-Gender ultrasound day is scheduled for March 19th. I can't wait!!!

-It was hard to start over in a new state after loving my hospital in Utah. But I've found a great midwife and think I've got a great, mostly intervention free hospital lined up here in the AZ.

-Lily and Elena are beyond excited. Elena is anxiously planning all the details for d-day. "Whose house will Lily and I stay at when it's time to have the baby?" "What will you name your baby?" "Look at the card I made for so and so to tell them you're pregnant!" :)

-For some reason, I think it's going to be a boy.

-I am amazed at everything this time around. Sad to say, but the first two times I was pregnant, I really took everything for granted. It happened easily for us and I never had any problems and I just never doubted the process. I had always been healthy, my husband was healthy and that was that. I was pretty naive. After the last few years - cancer, Lily's myriad of health issues, a miscarriage of our own, and being more aware of what family and friends are going through - I have just been in complete awe with this pregnancy. HEALTHY, THRIVING LIFE IS A MIRACLE. I don't take that for granted anymore. I think my naivety in the past caused me to miss out on how miraculous the whole process actually is. We've just seen and experienced so much the last few years - so much of things going wrong and bodies not working right. We heard this baby's heartbeat last week and although I've always been incredibly moved by that little woosh-woosh, this time I was just laying there stunned and wondering. A healthy heart, doing what it's supposed to! A little baby growing and measuring just right so far! Health! Life! It's AMAZING! I am grateful for the perspective. And so, so grateful for our blessings.

Those are the updates for now. It's been quite a while since we've had a little bebe in the house and we are a little nervous (I haven't not slept through the night in a long time!), but mostly overjoyed and excited to have a sweet newborn again!

8 comments:

Anna said...

Exciting! And nerve racking. But mostly exciting. Healthy life is a miracle. It truly is. Congrats!!!

Courtney said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you guys. Babies seem like crazy little creatures, it really is a miracle!

Liz said...

Baby bump? Maybe if you get out a magnifying glass! So glad you're over the morning sickness and feeling better.

It really is a miracle, isn't it?

Amy said...

I'm so happy for you guys! YEA that you're feeling better! I don't see any baby bump in that picture either! Landon's birthday is August 20th!

Me said...

There is so not a baby bump in that picture! You are silly. I think it's a boy too, so it really must be! Long Live Talmage! Do it lady, do it!

Amy and Mike said...

yes!!!! so happy for you! we will keep you in our prayers!

Christy said...

yah, you're a dork about the baby bump. that's called a bulky coat, briana. :) nonetheless, tis very exciting... and hey, you're almost at ultrasound day! i hope it's a boy! but for some reason my gut tells me it's a girl. but i'm almost always wrong about these things, so don't pay any attention to my predictions. :)

nbeck said...

I LOVED your comments on my blog. You are so sweet. And I was thrilled to find out you are expecting in August as well. So exciting! Congrats! Pregnancy really is an amazing thing. You are such a wonderful mother and have overcome so many health challenges with your kiddos. Such an inspiration to those that know you. Prayers for a healthy pregnancy and new little one!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06