Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sundays, Grief, and other Random Thoughts

So, I need to unload my very full brain and heart a little tonight. I have a whole post I'd like to write about tender mercies I've seen over the last 3+ weeks and some of the many amazing things people have done for us. Like how almost every day for the last two weeks, our mailbox has had at least one kind card or package. Such a treat - for our girls (their faces LIGHT UP at something fun in the mailbox) and for my heart. Thank you, thank you all you beautiful people out there. Anyways, there is so much to tell that is so tender and beautiful and uplifiting. And I'll get to it - soon hopefully. But, a different subject tonight. I really hope I don't come across as hopeless or ungrateful or whiny- we are so blessed- but I need to get out some more hard thoughts and feelings.

****************************

Sundays are hard days, I've decided. I went into labor and Kate was born on a Sunday. And darn it, if every Sunday for the last three weeks, I haven't struggled mightily starting about the time Sunday school is halfway over. And by the time Sunday night rolls around (Kate was born at night), I'm pretty much a huge mess. Ready to sleep for a week or maybe the next ten years. Until I can wake up and not hurt so much.

Then Monday morning comes and I wake up pretty reluctantly and with eyes so puffy they barely open. But then life keeps happening (despite how my heart and mind shout for it to just stop for a while) and we begin the morning rush to get Elena to school. And life drags me along with it. Which is somewhat of a good thing, I think, because it keeps me busy and I get to Monday afternoon and feel pretty decent until I hit the evening wall. And then Tuesday and Wednesday, the same thing happens and I feel alright - all things considered. Thursday and Friday are alright, but not quite as good. I think I'm figuring out that I just get tired and can only take so much "normal" before the grief and mourning push their way back in and demand to be considered for a bit. I can take little doses of things right now. A few hours in company, a couple of tasks around the house, etc. And by the end of the week, I'm tired in body, Spirit, heart, and mind. Saturday the downward spiral continues, culminating in Sunday evening when memories collide with fatigue and things are hard and messy.

Last night I was thinking about this apparent cycle. I read a little (from here) about the stages of grief and under "anger" it said , "As the masking effects of denial and isolation begin to wear, reality and its pain re-emerge. We are not ready. The intense emotion is deflected from our vulnerable core, redirected and expressed instead as anger."  This makes a lot of sense. And I wondered, is this where they cycle comes in each week? When the memories from my surroundings come back each Sunday, does my mind try again to process the intense emotion and then realize it's too much and I'm not ready and so I go back into denial and live pretty superficially for a few days to try and deflect the enormity of it all?

****************************

So, one thing that I've been struggling with a lot in my head is being worried about how I'm feeling and struggling with and then worrying about what other people must think of me. Worried that people will be annoyed, sick of hearing about it and thinking, "When will she get over it already?!", that it'll make people feel uncomfortable, that I'll lose dear friendships and associations because of all these things. Sometimes that seems ridiculous to me and other times that seems like a very real concern. I have moments where I want to reach out to someone or respond honestly to an inquiry, but I'm worried about how other people will react, what they will think, or what I'm burdening them with.

One of the moms in my "cancer moms" group posted a link to this article about grief and it helped me tremendously to read. I just love it because the author has written some of the exact thoughts and feelings that were swirling around inside me and conflicting me last night. She totally hit the nail on the head! I want to shout "Amen!" to each point she makes.

I don't really know what else I want to say other than that I loved the article, she described a lot of what I've been feeling, and it made me feel slightly less crazy. I guess it just helped me to remember that there isn't a short, easy answer to all of this. I'm ok as I am right now. That at least helps to remove one of the wrestlings I've been having lately over my fear of how others might react. Here's the 7 principles on grief from the article:

"1. Grief is a normal reaction -- Grief is the natural emotional and physical response to the death of a loved one. Although our society desperately wants to avoid the messiness of deep sorrow, there is no way out except through the pain. Typical numbing techniques such as medications, alcohol and food are only temporary distractions to dull the pain.
Letting oneself grieve by going directly into the pain -- in manageable doses over a long period of time -- is healing. Avoiding the pain simply forces it to go deep into the heart where it subtly affects emotional and physical health.
2. Grief is hard work -- Grief isn't easy and it isn't pretty. It involves tears, sleepless nights, pain, sorrow and a heartache that knocks you to your knees. It can be hard to concentrate, hard to think clearly, hard to read and easy to forget all the details of life that everyone else seems to remember. Grievers frequently feel that they're going crazy and they sometimes wish to die. This doesn't mean that they're actively suicidal, it just means that they're grieving.
3. Grief doesn't offer closure -- Closure is an idea that we like because we want to tie up our emotional messes with a bow and put them in the back of a closet. But grief refuses to play this game. Grief tends towards healing not closure. The funeral can be healing, visiting a gravesite can be healing, performing rituals, writing in journals and making pilgrimages can be personally meaningful and healing. But they will not bring closure. Closure is relevant to business deals but not to the human heart.
4. Grief is lifelong -- Although we all want quick fixes and short-term solutions, grief won't accommodate us. Many people want grief to be over in a few weeks or a few months and certainly within a year. And yet, many grievers know that the second year is actually harder than the first. Why Because the shock has worn off and the reality of the pain has truly sunk in.
I let grievers know that the impact of grief is lifelong just as the influence of love is also lifelong. No matter how many years go by, there will be occasional days when grief bursts through with a certain rawness. There will be days, even decades later, when sadness crosses over like a storm cloud. And likely, every day going forward will involve some memory, some connection to missing the beloved.
5. Grievers need to stay connected to the deceased -- While some might find it odd or uncomfortable to keep talking about a loved one after they have passed, or find it disconcerting to see photographs of those who have died, it is healthy to keep the connection alive. My heart goes out to a generation or more of grievers who were told to cut their ties to their deceased loved ones, to move on, almost as if they had never existed. Such unwitting cruelty! It is important to honor the birthdays and departure days of deceased loved ones. Their physical presence may be gone, but they remain in relationship to the griever in a new way beyond form, a way based in spirit and love.
6. Grievers are changed forever -- Those who expect grievers to eventually get back to their old selves, will be quite disappointed. Grief, like all major life experiences, changes a person irrevocably. People don't remain unchanged after getting an education, getting married, having a baby, getting divorced or changing careers. Grief, too, adds to the compost mixture of life, creating rich and fertile soil. It teaches about living and dying, about pain and love and about impermanence. While some people are changed by grief in a way that makes them bitter and shut down, it is also possible to use grief as a springboard for compassion, wisdom, and open-heartedness.
7. Grievers can choose transcendence -- Transcendence has to do with gaining perspective, seeing in a new way and holding pain in a larger context. Seeing one's grief from a larger perspective allows it to be bearable and gives it meaning. For one, transcendence might mean reaching out to those who suffer. For another, it might mean giving to a cause that will benefit others. Grievers who choose transcendence recognize that they are not alone, that they share a common human condition, and that they are amongst so many who have experienced love and loss. They use their pain in a way that touches others. The pain is still there, of course, but it is transformed."

****************************


Here's a scripture I really, really like these days:


 1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
Isaiah 61:1-3

I'm broken-hearted, and mourning, and oh, do I ever feel like I have the spirit of heaviness (heavy describes it exactly). And what wonderful promises in return!


****************************


This experience is very hard. Which is an understatement. I feel a lot of peace and have been blessed, through a knowledge of Gospel truths and personal revelation, with a lot of answers. Overall, in the big picture, I feel very ok. I know we'll get through this. But it is a messy, difficult, heart-wrenching process for me in the meantime. There is a lot to work through. This grief is very real and very powerful. Frighteningly overwhelming at times. And seemingly hugely complex. What the article above said about "letting yourself grieve by going directly into the pain" being healing has been on my mind a lot lately, but it seems like every time I try to delve into the pain, it threatens to swallow me. It just seems neverending.

So, on that subject, I'd like your advice/thoughts if you have any. I was pondering last night about what to do/how to get through this overwhelming pain and grief. Right now, it feels like something so huge and complex that I might never be able to work it all out and get through it. I had the thought that maybe this is where the Atonement comes in? Maybe this just is too huge for me to handle and process. Is that the answer - do I just need to turn it over to the Lord? How do I do that? Is it a combination of utilizing the Atonement to help in some way and also something else I need to do/experience? Does that make sense? I mean, like I've said, I've got a lot of the answers regarding the big picture. But I'm struggling with what to actually DO (to put it bluntly) to stop feeling so crappy. To not want to burst out crying multiple times a day when I get thinking about things. Does that make sense?

****************************

I feel like I'm stuck in limbo- like I don't know how to move forward or where I fit into life now. Eric and I were talking the other day about it and he helped me to realize some of what I'm struggling with. Pregnancy is a huge life change with lots of anticipation, preparations, changes, etc. The natural resolution of pregnancy is having a baby. Not just giving birth to a baby, but having a baby in your every day life. And I'm missing that. Pregnancy, in my experience, is so deeply interconnected and ingrained into my existence as a woman that this unnatural and unexpected resolution of my most recent pregnancy has left me totally bewildered on every level of my being. It's a loss I feel acutely. It's really hard to know where I fit in and what to do now to feel "right".



****************************


I started reading a book I received called, Joy Cometh in the Morning, and a passage from the introduction really touched me. The author is describing her feelings several years after the loss of her baby and I could really relate to what she described:


"What had started out as sheer torture gradually softened, and little by little Dave and I were able to look forward to the future again. Through the passage of time and divine assistance, I had learned to enjoy life again rather than simply endure it. I had come to realize that I could love others and I could love myself without feeling guilty toward Devin [her son that passed away]. Not only that, I truly could be happy, I could laugh at myself, and I could have fun again..." 


I'm on the "enduring it" side of things at the moment, for the most part. But I'm hopeful for the future.


****************************


And now, I've officially thought myself into a stupor and I can sleep. Hooray for a new day tomorrow.


8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad that you share your thoughts and feelings, Briana! I think that others just want to be there for you so I definitely don't think that they (at least I don't) mind you talking about what you're going through at all!

You asked what ideas people have for things you can do now, I would say talk about what you're feeling, and keep talking about it. In my experience it has been helpful to formulate my feelings into words and discuss them with Dustin and have him be my sounding board. Also writing is helpful for me. I think that talking with the therapist about it is a great idea too. I also think that you're exactly right--utilize the atonement and allow that to take the weight off or your shoulders. I have a testimony that the Savior can lighten our load and clear our minds. Those were some of the thoughts that came to me. I hope that it's helpful to you! You are inspiring to me. I will continue to pray for your sweet family!!

Unknown said...

Briana,
As a somewhat stranger to you (other than brief hellos and a conversation about being fed Twinkies during church) I want you to know that I have not once had the though "when will she get over it!?" you are so inspiring! I look at you on Sundays so impressed and just think "holy crap how do you even get out of your stretchy pants?" then I read your blog and am so in awe by your faith and your desire to do what is right. It's easier said than done, but who cares what ANYONE thinks? Take all the time you need and anyone who thinks any less of you isn't worth a single second of your time. Quite frankly if you want to cry about this 20 years from now, anyone who cares about you will just love you even more :) you are so wonderful and I have so much love for you and your family. Keep going girl!

Cassidy Paige said...

Oh Briana, I wish I could give you a big hug. I can empathize with so much of what you've said...I may not be mourning the loss of a child, but I am mourning the loss of my marriage. There are so many complex feelings, and you do such a beautiful job at voicing them.

I'm not good at sharing spiritual thoughts, because I always feel like I sound preachy...but in my recent emotional journey, I've clung to a scripture that I think may help you (I hope). Mosiah 14:5, reads:
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our inquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

So much of the Atonement is about utilizing it for repentance, that we often forget that it is intended for so much more. He not only took our sins upon himself, but also our sorrows. As He bled in the Garden of Gethsemane, he felt the pain of every person. He felt exactly what you are feeling right now. He won't necessarily take away that pain, because that's not how life works, but when it gets unbearable, we can turn to Him. It is only through His stripes that we will be able to be healed.

As I've been grieving my failed marriage, there are times that the pain was simply too much - that I felt I was drowning in it. I wasn't ready to face it fully yet. I think you're at that point - AND THATS OKAY. Its okay to "fake it til you make it". Because there will be one day, where you find that you CAN allow yourself to feel the full pain of everything. And it will hurt more than you ever imagined - but by allowing yourself to fully feel it, you can then allow yourself to fully hand it over to the Lord. And, if you're anything like me, you will have to KEEP handing that pain to the Lord - for me it has to be a very conscious effort. I find myself doing it many times a day, every time that something triggers all the feelings to start again.

One step at a time, one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Do not be too hard on yourself - I'm convinced that is the Adversary's greatest weapon on us women.

I know that you know all the people who love you, and want to support you. I'll echo whats already been said about keep talking about it, keep writing about it. Aside from helping yourself, it can also help us outsiders understand your pain. We'll never feel exactly what you're feeling, but you can help us be aware of what a grieving person is going through, and how to be most effective and most sensitive while trying to help lift their burden.

Anna said...

Don't you dare start worrying about others being tired of your grief! You take as much time to grieve, mourn, throw tantrums, cry, sulk, weep, whatever it is you need to do. Don't give yourself any time table or thought for anyone else's feelings. This is going to take a lot of time.
One thing I have been thinking a lot about lately in a different context, but I think is applicable, is living in the NOW. We always think about the past and the future and how we are going to do this or that or how we can change things, or how we want to become more like this, and less like that. We hold onto the "ego." Ego is our self imposed identity, the things and people that we let define us, the tasks we need to accomplish, the things that act upon us, the things we cling to. I think surrendering to now, giving up the ego, surrendering to this very moment and not thinking about "will the grief be gone tomorrow?" might be a helpful thing. LIving with intention is another way people talk about this: listening to our emotions, not with any motivation to change them or to understand them, but just to acknowledge them without an agenda, and accepting each emotion as it rolls over you, just as it is right in each moment, is part of this process of letting go of our ego. Have you ever listened to or read any Eckhart Tolle? I think that he has some very good and interesting and powerful things to say about surrendering to the power of now. Eastern thought is very full of it, and so are Christ's teachings when you put a meditative, intentional (as in living with intention) spin on them. (Does that make sense?) I think a lot of what Christ taught was to let go, stop struggling, give in. Be still and know that I am God. Accept the struggle, accept the pain, give into it, because in the pain and the struggle God is. Does this all sound like mumbo jumbo? It's hard to articulate, but it is something I have been thinking/studying about A LOT lately. This is a thread that is found in most religions, a universal truth, if you will. Mormonism is very outwardly focused...do this, do that, deep this commandment all for a certain result (ego based if you wil). I think a lot of what Christ taught was look inward, put off the natural man (ego). The Light of Christ/The Kingdom of God is within you, and within you even in the anguish, pain, agony, anger, is his peace. So live in the moment, even the painful ones. In the pain, in the acceptance, in the submission Christ is there. Anyway, I hope an ounce of what I have said is helpful.

Mika said...

For the first while after my baby's birth/death I don't think I even addressed the issue of how to deal with things. A well-intentioned woman in my ward who had had a stillborn baby 30+ years ago suggested that I stop wallowing in grief, do a project for someone else, and have a new baby. (Really? Are you allowed to say that to a recently bereaved mother?) To a large extent, I just wanted to stay at home and become a hermit and barely, somehow, miraculously survive life without actually being involved in it.

The first thing that helped me was gardening. I know nothing about gardening, except that weeds are bad, so I spent hours pulling weeds. It gave me time to think or not think, but it was time spent outside - which I do think helped me a lot. I also had something specific to point to at the end (a cleaner garden bed and a trash can full of weeds).

The second thing that helped me was doing someone a favor. It wasn't a big deal in and of itself - but they asked me to design invitations for a baby shower! As hard as it was to picture the happy event and the happy life ahead of the mom-to-be, I have always enjoyed painting, so just the act of getting out my watercolors and doing a project with a goal in mind was therapeutic.

In my darkest moment, when I thought I would be ripped apart from the physical pain of heartache and grief, I begged and pleaded and prayed more fervently than I ever have that there would at least be some payoff for my suffering. That some blessing would come my way as a result of Christian's death, and my anguish would be offset by some later experience - even if not in this lifetime. During later moments of grief I'm reminded of the comfort I received in answer to that pleading, and although the moments don't necessarily pass quickly, I know they will pass.

But I immerse myself pretty fully in those moments. Maybe it isn't a healthy way of grieving; when I actually FEEL the loss of my baby, it's sharp and painful and in some weird way it seems like one of the few things that can connect me to him - my grief that stems from my love. Then I do have to pray for help to make it through. Many days I just want t still be breathing at the end of the day, and I think the Atonement is what gets me through (along with the prayers of many friends and family on my behalf).

Lastly, in the past month I've felt much better as I reach out to other families who have experienced the loss of their baby. I appreciate the women I know, mainly via Facebook, who are months or years ahead of me in their loss and it's encouraging to know that although it's hard, life goes on, and it can still be good. So I try to be present in others' suffering as much as I can. DISCLAIMER: Kate's death is so recent that I think you should probably not try this approach yet. :) Spend a lot of time turned inward, feeling as if you will collapse or implode from grief, and later you can use that to help others if you want.

Apologies for my excessively long comment.

Chelsie said...

Every single thought you've expressed seems like something I would feel in your situation. So as someone not in your situation let me say- never would I think, 'get over it!'. You're thoughtful and contemplative and tired and sweet and beautiful and heartbroken. You're too incredible, too treasured by your friends for anyone to ever toss all that aside because you're not trying to pretend your beautiful Kate didn't mean the world to you.

I think you're doing an excellent job of actively working through things. Sometimes you might be completely despondent and inconsolable and not feeling like you're getting anywhere. But the bread has to rise before it can be baked. The wash has to dry before it can be folded. And sometimes you need to weep uncontrollably before you can comb Elena's hair. That is the work you're doing and its incredibly hard.

Also- when I ask how you're doing, if you're wanting to open up I'm wanting you to. If you're not feeling up to it, then that's fine too.

Take what I've just said how you will, I've not walked this path. Well, except for the part where I say you're fabulous and that you can open up to me if you'd like. Those parts are absolute truth.

Briana said...

Thank you so much, ladies, for your thoughts. Each of them has touched me in a different way and I'm grateful for your insight and words of love. <3

Christy said...

i agree with what everyone else has said. this is definitely not the time for you to be worrying about what ANYONE else thinks or feels. maybe eric, elena and lily, but no one else. :) you are so sweet briana, i don't see how your emotions and grief could ever offend. i think you are so amazing in so many ways. everything you write about how you are feeling makes so much sense to me. i know it will get better. it will always hurt, but not so acutely as it does now. this is what i have to believe. i love you guys-- never hesitate to ask if there is anything at all that we can do!

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06