Never. Freaking. Again.
It's official - I will NEVER again live in a basement!
I mean, don't get me wrong, we love where we live. It's a nice little place at a good price, our landlords are wonderful, the location is unbeatable, our ward is the best(!), there's good storage, the yard is beautiful, etc. But, it's a basement. And as such, it has bugs. Specifically, ants.
Having lived in upstairs units for the better part of the last 2 1/2- 3 years, I guess I forgot what basements are like. Our first apartment was a basement apartment and it was infested - truly infested- with spiders. We see several spiders a week here, but in that first apartment, you could look down at the floor at any given moment and see 4-5 spiders. Always. It was sick. But then we moved to an upstairs apartment and later our 2nd story condo and we hardly ever saw a bug. Yes, we had our
When we moved into our current apartment last fall, I saw several earwigs and thought, "Oh no, what have we gotten into? Why did I think it was ok to live in a basement again??" But, we never saw anymore after we got things cleaned up and during the winter we only saw the occasional spider. Now, as the weather has been heating up, we have been seeing more and more spiders, the occasional other random bug, and ants - lots of them. It all started a few weeks ago. My mom was in town and as soon as we discovered the ants, we scoured the house - vaccumed floors and furniture, swept, mopped, sprayed bug spray, and bought traps. Over the next few days, I didn't see anymore ants crawling around and I started to see just a few dead ants. I thought we had licked it.
But I was wrong! Over the last week or so, I have been finding more and more ants - dead AND alive each day! I can't even count how many ants I have killed today alone. And those aren't even counting the new dead ones I've seen around. I know they're new beacuse I sweep at least once a day. AND they're all over the house! Today I was doing some cleaning and I saw/killed ants in EVERY room in the house- rooms with no food anywhere nearby, like the bathroom and our bedroom! What in the world!?! Besides all the cleaning, I've used two different outdoor bug sprays, two different indoor sprays, and traps. Clearly, this runs deeper than I thought. Deperate times call for desperate measures! I'm calling professional pest control this week! (If only I could find one that is reasonably priced....)
Blegh! I HATE ANTS IN MY HOUSE!! I swear I have a curse. So, anwyays, back to my original rant - I'm never living in a basement apartment again!! And the only way I'm going to even contemplate having a basement in a house that we buy someday is if we have some seriously awesome pest control.
Sick, sick, sick! I have the jibblies! Probably time to go get some Chili's...
12 comments:
Oh, I feel your pain. Our house in Texas was infested by ants and since I am deathly afraid of ants, I would tippy-toe around all of the time. I even dreamt about ants two nights ago and woke up with the heebie-jeebies. I can feel them crawling on me right now just thinking about them. 'Shudder.' I really hope y'all are able to find a good pest control guy.
How would you like to sleep in the same room with hundreds of fruit flies?! :)
Love you, Sweetie!
oh how I love you, I thought that we had got them all. Have you talked to the landlord- perhaps they will pay for part of the pest control. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. we had the same problem in this house with earwigs and spiders...and you know how I feel about spiders. Keep your chin up. At least these are only pests and not deadly.
love you darlin'
Oh Briana! You made me laugh! It is so true. I feel your pain an frustration. We lived on the TOP floor of a house and we were still infested with spiders and box elder beetles. Good luck finding pest control!!! Miss you.
I didn't know bugs came with basements?? Guess growing up we had a accasional earwig down there... anyway- still NASTY! Bugs are gross, especially when you're not expecting them and they're in human territory!! Hope you get rid of them soon!!
I'm so sorry! I hate ants too...I lived in an apartment where the only place they showed up was the bathroom--and they never went away!
I am just waiting to see them in our new place...
I am sorry you are suffering from ants! We have seen them in this basement in the past week or so as well, and I am done and ready for them to die!
Good luck with yours!
Amen!! Our first apartment was a basement too, with awesome red carpet. And spiders, specifically hobos... so freaky!! Good luck with pest control!
Thanks! We are hoping for the best!
okay i read this post several days ago but my computer was freaking out so i couldn't comment but i have to tell you DON'T PAY FOR PEST CONTROL. tom just bought the sweet chemical his company uses (because we have spiders-- HATE), so he will just spray your place next time we're down there and the ants will be DEAD. i promise. go preventive.
Christy: You're on! That would be wonderful! Eric has not exactly been eager to jump on the pest control band wagon with me (at least the paying an arm and a leg for it part), so that would be awesome!!! Just let us know when you will be coming our way and would have time to do it and what we can pay you for the stuff. You guys seriously would rock my world if you could get rid of these dang ants!
Preventive? Is that the company that Tom sold for? I called a Preventive Pest Control to get a quote and now they won't stop calling me back to try and get me to sign up with them :)
HA-- that's hilarious briana. yep, preventive is the company tom worked for. they really are the best, but we're just happy we don't have to pay their prices and get hooked up because tom worked for them. i will let you know when we are coming down. and PLEASE don't even think about paying us. the stuff we bought will last us for years so a spray or two in your house isn't going to even leave a dent!
Post a Comment