In case you were wondering, after my ranting parade etiquette post, the Fourth of July parade went surprisingly well- I'm talking as far as the number of stupid spectators went, not how my guard did. They're still learning. :)
our cross to bear. We seem to have a knack for picking out ticking car repair time bombs. Every single car we have bought (I think we're on #5 now) has seemed fine and then had major issues. And don't get the wrong idea - we really do try to maintain our cars fairly well to avoid problems. And before we buy cars, we ask lots of questions, try to find out the history, have it checked by a mechanic, etc. We are just cursed. In the last two months alone we have spent thousands of dollars repairing our cars. (Anyone want to buy a Honda Civic?) I'll highlight a few of the biggest repairs:- new catalytic converter for the truck - $700
- new struts, back bearing, something else I can't remember, and a wheel (to fix a dumb noise that wasn't a problem, but was just a noise that would make someone not buy the car) on the Civic - $600-700
- fixing various problems for safety and emissions on the Escort - $150
- a new problem that the mechanic found when fixing up the Escort for safety and emissions - $500
So, besides of being broke - we are sick of car repairs. The other day, I walked past the Civic and thought how nice it was that at least everything was nice and fixed up and we could rest easy about one car. Then, Eric took the Civic for a quick errand yesterday (we hardly ever drive it because we are trying to sell it and want it to stay in pristine condition) and when he got back he told me that the maintenance required light came on when he started driving. GRRRRR! What the heck? I seriously want to blow that car up. It's not due for an oil change, so it's probably something big. And wouldn't you know, the only place that can properly read and turn off the light for us if it isn't just an oil change issue is the dang Honda dealership who charges an $80 or $90 diagnostic fee on top of the hundreds of dollars they charge you to fix the problem.
I hate cars! This has just gotten ridiculous. The next time we go to buy a car, we are seriously going to hire someone to pick out a car for us, since we can't seem to get it right. Any volunteers?
Post-Edit: Just returned from the Honda dealership and it turns out that this was just a reminder to do an oil change and other regular maintenance and all they had to do was turn off the light. And it was free :) Hooray!
rephrase that - something freaking awesome to do: the Blue Devils are rehearsing today from 1-10pm and tomorrow from 9-5pm at American Fork High School! It's totally free to watch and totally amazing! Also, Corp Encore is tomorrow night in Ogden at 7pm, I think.
10 comments:
I'm so sorry about all of your lemon cars! Total bummer! When we bough a used car we bought it from Dustin's mom, that way we knew the entire history of the car, plus we had my dad (a mechanical engineer) check it out. Good luck! :)
Also, that first picture you posted is totally Timpview's colorguard, one of the summers that I was there-I chose those uniforms and we made the silks while I was there! Where did you find that photo??
oops, this is really Amy...
okay, so I had to sign in as myself, so that I get reply emails to my email...sorry about all the comments! :)
i like eric being the one screaming at you guys to play/perform. he he. your fourth of july sounds SOOOO fun. love me some tucanos and seven peaks. awesome! invite us next time!! :) also, hooray for your little one being a fetus now! now you can call it one like TAMN. also, sorry about your car trouble. so so dumb.
Amy: haha! i got it off cjane's provo blog (are you familiar with it?)- i needed a picture from this year's parade and it was the only one I could find of a colorguard - see, I only use the best! ;)
Your 4th sounds super fun and busy! How did Elena enjoy everything?
As for the wee one, how far along are you now? I didn't know you'd been to the doctor yet!
Mom: Elena loved it all... she got pretty spoiled this weekend. :) Swimming, good food, and fireworks, plus lots and lots of people to play with her. She was pretty mad on Monday when it was just back to boring old mom and dad. :)
I'm 9+ weeks now - well, according to my little counter on the sidebar, I guess I'm 9 weeks and 2 days. :) I went to the doctor at 8 weeks and go again at 12 weeks for the heartbeat!!!
And p.s. we finished your book! :) And we have green beans for you guys. I went to Costco and have way too many. We'll try and swing by sometime soon.
I am sorry about the dang cars. Money pits.
Glad about the fetus and parade :-).
The 4th sounds like it rocked. I'm glad you got to hang with your family. And I am SOOO sorry about all your car problems. You two seriously have sad cars. I've never heard of so many repairs! Hope that civic sells soon!
Glad you had a good 4th parade! and glad you got your family here to visit, so fun! Sorry for the car troubles too... hate that. but glad it wasn't another expense :)
Post a Comment