Friday, February 11, 2011

Turning a Day of Sadness into a Day of Hope, Good news, Save the Date, and more!

March 18th, 2010 was a terrible day for us - one we will never, ever forget. It was the day Elena was diagnosed. The anniversary of her diagnosis is coming up in about a month and we want to turn that day from one of sadness into a day of hope. We need your help!

1st: Come to a celebration we will be holding in honor of one year of Elena kicking cancer's trash!!!

When: Saturday, March 19th from 9am-2pm
Where: 114 South 400 West, Orem (Cultural Hall of the LDS Meetinghouse)
What: To celebrate one year of Elena kicking cancer's trash! We will be doing a service project and a blood drive. For the service project, we will be assembling kits for families of newly diagnosed cancer patients at Primary Children's Hospital. We received one of these in the first few days after Elena was diagnosed and we want to pay it forward and give some support to people going through what we did because we know what a terrible time it is.

There will also be good food, good company, and hopefully it will just be a very fun, meaningful night all around.

So, come! We want you to celebrate with us and we need your blood. Haha. :) Seriously, we need 25-30 committed donors. Even if you can't stay long or can only drop in, please stop by and give blood! You - yes YOU! Even friends and family of friends and family are invited. Please come give.

2nd: In order to make our service project a success we need your help in rounding up donations for the kits. This can be done by purchasing and donating the items needed directly, or sending money ahead of time for us to purchase the needed items. If you need our address, let me know in a comment or an e-mail and I'll send it to you. Here are ideas for what we are looking to put into the kits:
  • Travel Blanket - like a fleece blanket that can be rolled up and secured with a strap or something. For parents mostly - the hospital has like a million blanket donations, so the kids are pretty well taken care of each visit. :)
  • Stuffed animals: need to be small-ish and MUST be new. The hospital can not accept used stuffed animals for health reasons
  • Small toys/Activities: same rules as above - NO used toys.
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Lotion (travel size)
  • Chapstick
  • Books about cancer for children: ("I'm a Superhero", "My ABC Book of Cancer", "Chemo-Girl(/Boy): Saving the World One Treatment at a Time", etc.) You can purchase individual books off of the internet or send money for us to purchase them.
  • Doctor kits for kids to play with
  • Gas Cards (Chevron, Texaco, Sinclair, Maverick, 7-11 are all local stations)
We have got the snacks for the kits covered, but they will also be included. Other than no used items, the only other guideline that the hospital gave us was NO latex.

Your help, in honor of Elena, is SO appreciated! We can't do this without you.

Please RSVP to the party (e-mail, leave a comment, text, or call) no later than Wednesday, March 16th, so we know how many treats to plan on. If you will be available to give blood (in generally good health, 17 years or older, and not pregnant), please let us know ASAP, so we can get you the form you need to fill out and let the blood bank know that we have the required number of people to hold the blood drive. We're so excited!!

And if you don't live nearby and won't be able to come, please consider giving blood wherever you are at, in honor of Elena's one year diagnosis anniversary.

*********************

Now for some good news. We attended the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) Light the night awards banquet a few nights ago. And look what we brought home:

It says:

Top Fundraising Team (not corporate, but friends and family)
2nd place (!)
Team Elena.

Way to go everyone!!! This is a tribute to all of your hard work and sacrifice. Thanks for all you did to help us raise money for LLS! We feel it is one of many worthwhile organizations out there. We learned several impressive things about LLS that night - money raised goes towards lots of great things, like
  • Research - childhood and adult cancer. Three noteworthy things we found out: 1. The LLS works with the FDA to help shorten the time between a new chemotherapy getting approved and actually getting out to patients. It used to take up to 7-8 years, but now they are working to shorten that to a more reasonable time table like one year, 2. Of 40 new chemotherapy medicine to come out last year, 19 of those were for blood cancer, and the LLS was behind the funding for almost all of them (now I may have a few of the numbers off, but this is the basic gist of it...) , and 3. Researching how to treat cancer in a medium of blood is much easier to research than in a medium like tissue. Research for blood cancer is very beneficial to many different types of cancer - breast cancer, ovarian cancer, tumors, etc. So, supporting blood cancer research as a whole is really supporting cancer research in general - which touches all of our lives in many ways. A rising tide lifts all ships, right?
  • Patient Support - including a great new program they're working on to help patients pay their co-pay fees, patient financial aid programs, etc.
  • Community education and awareness
  • And more!
Elena has been asked to participate in their "Honored Patient" program this year. Basically she will be one of the faces of the LLS this year - in their advertising, at kick-off events, fundraising meetings with corporations, etc. We are excited to be able to help in any way with cancer research, support, etc. We figure that raising money and awareness for any type of cancer research is a worthy goal - and this requires so little effort on our part. If this is a small way to make a difference for many different people in many different situations - we're happy to help. There are children and adults, young and old, babies and parents and grandparents who are being diagnosed by cancer and we feel this is a way we can help them all a little. Elena has leukemia, so we have a special reason to support childhood leukemia research, but Eric's grandfather, Robert Hastings, also has a lymphoma, so the LLS is a great fit for our family.

**********************
Now, save the date:

March 19th - Elena's One Year Diagnosis Service Project and Blood Drive

July 9th - CureSearch Walk in SLC! CureSearch is a great organization that raises money for the Children's Oncology Group (COG). Our hospital (Primary's) and oncologists are members of COG - they are the big research organization for children's cancer, to say it briefly. They are a superb organization to support in order to further childhood cancer research. Please plan on joining us if you can. We'll get more information about time, place, how to donate, and what fundraisers we'll be doing to get ready as it gets closer. We're so thrilled to be participating in this this year as it's the first year its come to SLC- get excited! You can go to the CureSearch SLC website to learn more: http://www.curesearchwalk.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=452894.

September 24th - LLS Light the Night Walk in SLC. More info will follow as it becomes available. Hope to see you there, if you can!

19 comments:

Amy said...

Wahoo! Way to go Team Elena!!! I wish we could be in town for the PARTY! It sounds like a great event! I will definitely find a blood bank to donate here in MS though!

Logan Family said...

What's your address? I want to help in some way, but can't donate blood right now.

annabeverly06@gmail.com

Christy said...

those pictures with elena and the trophy are SOOOO awesome! GO TEAM ELENA! that rocks. i'm so glad you guys are doing the LLS thing. what an amazing opportunity!

and you BET we'll be there march 18th. i think it is so great that you are turning a potentially depressing day into a day of hope, service, and happiness. hooray! you can definitely count on any help you need from us for the event. how small do the stuffed animals need to be? like beenie baby size? how many kits are we going to try to make? do you want to know what we will bring right away? and yes, yes, we will donate blood. i cannot wait, this will be so cool!

Me said...

Rob and Julie Lee will be there with blood.

Briana said...

Christy: well, the idea wouldn't have even occurred to us without you. :) Yes, the night is going to rock!

Stuffed animals can be a little bigger than beanie baby size (although that's fine, too) - just nothing ginormous. Mid-size, so they'll fit in the bag with everything else. We want to make as many kits as we can! We're not sure how much this will catch on and how many donations we'll get, so we're not sure how big to plan. But we want to do as much as possible. I'll keep the blog updated as I get an idea.

It would probably be a good idea to let us know if you know what you'll be contributing because then I can post periodic updates on the blog for people to see. No stress though. :)

As for the rest of the night... I'll let you know as we get closer. :) Mostly just bring your bodies with blood and stuff for the kits. Haha... :)

Anna said...

Wish we could come, but we will try and send some of the items. I'll let you know soon what we are sending. What a great idea.

Lisa said...

What a great idea!! I will let you know ASAP if we will be able to make it! Keep us all posted on what you're still needing for the kits also.

Amy said...

Are you sure nursing women can't donate? I know I have before.

Cassidy @ Thrillingly Thrifty said...

What kind of bags are you using for the kits? Is that something I could help make a bunch of?

We MAY be able to come to the party...I might be down there for a wedding that just happens to be that same weekend, which makes me think it was just meant to be. ;)

Briana said...

Okay, Amy, here's what I found from the red cross (although we are 90% sure we are doing our blood drive with ARUP, but i couldn't find their policy...):

Whether to donate blood (when lactating)is a decision that is best left up to the individual. Opinions vary as to whether it is a good idea. The American Red Cross says this about potential donors, in their Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines:

-defer while pregnant
-defer 6 weeks after giving birth
-defer 12 months if delivery required a blood transfusion
-accept nursing mothers

La Leche League's sources differ in their opinions on blood donation for breastfeeding mothers. Dr. Gregory White does not recommend it. Dr. Jack Newman says any otherwise eligible mother who is not anemic can donate blood. The Canadian Blood Service does not allow breastfeeding mothers to donate blood in the first six months postpartum. LLL recommends that mothers consult their own physicians and make an informed choice.

If a breastfeeding mother chooses to donate blood, she needs to be very careful to stay hydrated. Human milk is 87% water, and a blood donation takes 16 ounces of blood from the body. This is a lot of liquid to replace. All blood donors are cautioned to eat a substantial meal before donating blood and drink large quantities of water afterward. After a donation, donors are advised to avoid heavy lifting with the arm used to donate (to prevent excessive bruising). This may be a consideration for mothers who may not be able to avoid lifting and carrying their babies or older children.

So, there you go. Not sure what they would say on the day of - I'll try to find out more. But, it sounds like there's a good possibility that nursing mothers who are more than 6 weeks post partum are eligible. :)

Briana said...

Cassidy: Awesome!!! That would be SO cool if you were able to come! Keep me posted as you find out more.

And YES! Bags would be awesome. There's no set specifications really. The bag we got was a fairly large canvas type bag with a handle and a zipper closure. We were thinking something made out of fabric, with a handle, and a way to close it, and fairly large (like around 18"x18"x6" or so) so that there is room for the stuff. I know nothing about sewing or anything related to it, so I don't know if that info helps. :) But, pretty much whatever works.

This would be so great! Let me know what you think.

Briana said...

Hey and thanks everyone who has talked to us so far. Your support means SO MUCH! We've been having a rough couple of days here in the hospital and getting on here and reading about you getting excited and wanting to help has been a bright spot and a source of strength.

THANKS!

Unknown said...

This is AMAZING! I can't believe how awesome this it! I definitely want to help out, but I'm not sure exactly how, yet. I'm thinking I may donate the books? Do you have an idea of how many you would need of each?

Latu said...

i'll definitely drop a pint or two of blood.

The Reil Family said...

would it be easier on you for us to send you items or for us to send you a check? just let me know! alyssareil@gmail.com

Amy said...

I guess I never said anything about donating blood. Ryan definitely will (unless illness takes over!) and I will if they'll let me. I think I've donated like 3 different times while nursing. I always think they won't let me and then I'm a shoo in. So count us for 1.5 peeps!

Cassidy @ Thrillingly Thrifty said...

Okay, Briana, question about the bags...would you be against me using a magnetic purse snap instead of a zipper? I've been trying to make a zipper work with the bag I'm trying right now and its just not going so hot. If you really want a zipper I can do it, I'll just have to do a different style of bag I think and so I may not be able to make as many. Let me know what you think. (I was gonna email this question to you, but couldnt find your email address! You can email me back if you'd prefer thrillingly_thrifty@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

I am one of Eric's former teachers. My husband and I would love to give blood. How do we sign up? Bev Burdett

Briana said...

Bev: Great!! We will add your names to our counts. I'm going to do a post in just a bit with some of the pre-screening questions and appointment time information. Can you e-mail or call us?

helpthe3percent@gmail.com
801-735-5197

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06