I seriously left the lunch feeling so charged up. What an amazing bunch of women - dealing with such heavy burdens, but with positive attitudes and smiles on their faces. I heard stories about families who were settling down for month to two month hospital stays for treatments, a child with leukemia found in the central nervous system, a child who has been battling a rare, fatal, auto-immune disease (his immune system is attacking his organs and other parts of his body) for eight years and is finally coming up on his transplant, a teenager a year and a half off treatment for Ewing's Sarcoma, who was diagnosed one week ago with Acute Myeloid Leukemia, families of tiny babies with leukemia waiting for bone marrow transplants (with their pre-school aged siblings as the donors!), and many more stories that would break your heart and open your eyes. It felt almost sacred to be sitting with so many brave people who are in the midst of some of the greatest refining fires of their lives. I was truly touched by the hope, and quiet optimism and cheerfulness I saw.
The ICS unit is an interesting place. I always have such conflicting emotions about it when I'm here. On the one hand, it is a place of infinite sadness. A place where parents quietly put together a make-shift dinner for themselves from the refrigerator in the parent laundry room, a place where you walk past tear-stained faces in the hallway, a place where you often catch glimpses of bald little head after bald little head out your window, a place where the shadow-like figures of parents silently walk the halls at night to change laundry around, get a drink of water, or just to get out of their room for a few minutes and think, a place of fragmented families. There have been times when I have overwhelmed by the sights in the ICS unit and I feel like my heart is going to burst with so much sadness.
But on the other hand, the ICS unit is a familiar place that feels safe (much like clinic does) where you see familiar doctors and nurses, where you are surrounded by people going through similar things - who just get it. People who know how long hospital stays just make you CRAZY, who know how hard it is to juggle your other kids around from babysitter to babysitter, who know the worry and heartache that comes from having a child with a life-threatening illness, people who understand steroid rage and steroid puffiness (no, my child does not eat too much Mcdonalds), people who know that the fridge is always crowded and oftentimes stinky :), people who know and love the sight of bald heads and smile instead of gawking awkwardly at the sight of them, people who understand terms like RTU, NPO, to get a chemo IM, CBC and CMP, NG tube, etc.
It is a place where you see some of the best of humanity - lots of service and volunteering, nurses going the extra mile to help your child during a rough night or to figure out a problem, and parents sharing soup they've made in the crockpot in the parent laundry room with other parents for dinner.
And it is a place of healing and hope and celebrating the small triumphs along the way: cheering for the family who finally gets to go home today, seeing a child with a walker taking some of their first steps in a while, and hearing the joyous revelry when a patient rings the "end of treatment" bell.
It's funny how you learn tips and tricks of ICS living along the way. Like, move the nurse call button close to your bed before you go to sleep at night, so you can press it without getting up and don't have to listen to beeping monitors for long. Or to bring PB&J and bread, meal-replacement bars, and some fruits and vegetables, so you don't have to eat so many meals in the cafeteria. And after a while (at least for us... we're a little slow), you may find that your child does better with a little more normalcy, so it helps to bring comfy pajamas from home for bed time. And note to self: bring my pillow from home next time - these disposable, two inch thick hospital pillows are just not cutting it. How many cricks in my neck and headaches has it taken for me to figure that one out? :)
Cancer is a many-headed monster, I'm realizing as I talk to other cancer families and from my own experience. The realization hit me with renewed force yesterday as I talked with families of patients here in ICS. Cancer doesn't just threaten the patient's life and cause problems and sickness. That's one of many things it does. It really is like a tornado, destroying and wreaking havoc on everything in it's path. There are many hidden effects of cancer that most of the world doesn't see, except for the patient's family. It causes pain and sickness and suffering. It produces many sleepless nights, rivers of tears, and endless worrying and wondering. It throws schedules and routines out the window. It wreaks financial havoc - medical bills and care expenses pile up and families lose their homes, have to declare bankruptcy, and struggle to dig their way out from under a huge financial burden. And it turns families upside down - I've heard so many parents of children with cancer talk about how they didn't have much of a marriage while their child was in treatment, how husband and wife felt like ships passing in the night as they saw each other in passing when they took turns staying at the hospital or shuffling other children around to the babysitters. There are stories that would break your heart about siblings of cancer patients who need therapy, suffer from anxiety, who think that they are always sick, who resent their parents for not being around while they were at the hospital with the sick sibling. Cancer patients and parents of pediatric cancer patients suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Etc, etc, etc. Cancer really is a beast. You don't just get cancer and get sick and then either not make it or get better. It is a torrential storm that rips through every facet of a family's life- and they are left cleaning up the debris for a long time.
The trick is how to keep your chin up in spite of it all - to not let cancer wholly define you. I've heard people say that you shouldn't let cancer (or other trials) define your child or you. And I've wondered about that and struggled and philosophized and thought about it a lot. Here's what I think - I think that it is true that you don't want horrible challenges to rule your life and cripple you and hold you back. I don't want to walk around ten or twenty years down the road short-changing myself in life and using the excuse that my daughter had cancer. I have the power to choose what my attitude and actions will be in any situation - no matter what is happening to me. That is one of the great gifts of the Savior's Atonement. But, I also think that big, life-changing, soul-rocking events do define you to a certain extent - how could they not? They are the big moments in life that break down the rough, coarse, weak, erring parts of you and (hopefully) help to build up a gentler, more empathetic, compassionate, patient, thoughtful, stronger you. So, yes, in a sense, those big trials do define you. It's a balancing act to let it define your life in perspective and in the right ways. It's hard to know sometimes how it's possible to move on and let go of fear and doubt and to live life. The other day I ran across some beautifully written thoughts about how to do just that. I think I'll end this long rambling of the thoughts and feelings that have been heavy on my mind and heart lately by directing you to that lovely story:
And p.s. After taking with different people in many different situations yesterday, it really got me thinking about how many blessings we have been given in the specifics of our situation and I thought I should write them down:
- Although Eric being in school and running his own business during all this is very challenging in it's own way, it is also a big blessing because he has more flexibility in his schedule and is able to be there for most doctor's appointments and hospital stays. We are better advocates/part of Elena's health care team together - I have the craziest memory ever and can recall important things and Eric has the guts to say the things that need to be said.
- I'm so grateful Lily is so young - hopefully she won't remember much about being bounced around so much.
- I'm also grateful that Lily is such a happy, easygoing baby - it makes leaving her places so much easier - on us and the babysitters!
- Things are kind of a mess with our insurance right now, but we still have coverage.
- Having lots of family close by to help babysit, bring meals, provide support is a HUGE blessing. And so is knowing that our family who isn't close by are willing to drop anything to come help us if we need it.
- Living in this country with access to clean healthcare facilities, medicine, and knowledgeable doctors and nurses is a great blessing.
12 comments:
You nailed it all on the head! Can you just submit this post to every magazine and newpaper. It would seriously open everyone's eyes to what cancer does. It all just makes me want to bawl. You are so brave and strong. Tell little Elena that we love her and that our kiddos pray for her every night!
Briana you are amazing, I'm so thankful to know you! You're family is such a great example. I really appreciate all your posts and how well you write your feelings and thoughts to help others to understand or get a small glimpse as to what it's like to have a child with cancer. I'm sure you can't ever really understand unless you go through it, but one thing is for sure, I'm thankful for your example!
Oh, and we find out March 17th where we'll be for the next five years!
How long are y'all going to be up in SLC? Do you need me to watch Lily for you so Eric can head up to see y'all? Just text or call me:)
We love you guys. You are amazing. Elena is strong, and so precious. I will never forget it when she ran up to me when we were visiting. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Wow you said it perfectly. Thank you for posting this, you are amazing.
Crystal Isaacson
I have loved this post Briana. I have had so many of these same feelings but been unable to put it in words. Thank you for the link also...so visual. Loved it. Thank you again. Hope Elena is doing well.
craziness. i always get sad when i visit you guys in ICS, which is kind of funny to me because i see elena all the time, and obviously she has cancer just like the other kids there. but seeing all the other bald kids and how many people are affected by cancer really gets to me sometimes. it is so hard. i really liked your last paragraph about how cancer does/doesn't define you. i agree-- we shouldn't let our trial cripple us, but to not let it "define" you or change you seems like such a waste. what was the freaking point if you don't learn anything/change? anyway. i could go on and on but mostly i just agree with you. :) and i hope you get out today!!
LOVE to read your posts. This was very well written. We all have to go through waaayyyy too much! I love that they did that lunch for you all,and that they provided yummy food,it's so nice to be able to talk to other parents outside of ICS, we know how therapeutic this can be. I hope you can come this week to our Cancer Mom's dinner. I hope you are doing well, We are thinking about you guys!!
also...I am getting very excited about CureSearch!!!
Briana,
You expressed so eloquently so many of the things we've felt over the last 8 months! You made me laugh (the ICS pillows and fridge) and cry. Cancer is draining--both physically and emotionally. We hope Elena is doing well with her treatments. We would really like to help out on the 19th. I'll be in touch. We'll continue to pray for all of you!
Thank you for your sweet, poignant, tender, honest post. We pray for you, and I wish there was something more we could do to make it easier for you.
I think these experiences do define you, in the sense that they make you what you are. But they do not define you, in that it is not ALL you are. I don't know if that makes sense.
Thanks also for the link. I was inspired by the story.
I love you and your sweet little family!
I loved your eloquence. Thank you for taking the time to post on your blog about your experiences, so that those of us who haven't experienced it can learn and understand--if even just a little bit. You are so strong! I admire you and your family! We are thinking and praying for you often!
I can't imagine the destructive power of cancer, I can't imagine what your family has lived through. I know you are right...when there are trials, when there are hard things in life, they so often send shock waves through everything...their effects are never contained. I love what you said about trials affecting you and yet not determining you. I know that difficult times will leave their mark on people. I know that people will carry scars forever. But I also know that you can make of your life what you want to. I am a firm believer that you determine your life...Even if you can't control everything, you can control what you do with those things that are handed to you. Amen.
Post a Comment