Monday, March 19, 2012

Goodness

Our blood drive turned out to be a big success! Our goal was 85 donors and we had over 95 people through the door and collected 83 units of blood. Yeah! A huge thanks to everyone for their support - both with blood, volunteer efforts, and just stopping in to say hi and tell Elena congrats. :) And a big thanks to all those who are far away and gave blood, spread the word, ran in races in Elena's honor, etc. this weekend. It means so much and we felt so much love and support. We are surrounded by the best people!

It was a good day. Service truly is healing. As wonderful as it is for the receivers, it is equally helpful to the giver. It felt SO good to be there. All of the melancholy and sadness of Friday was replaced with busy cheerfulness, hope, love, and a sense of accomplishing something really important. It also kind of felt like sticking it in the face to cancer. Like, I'm not just going to sit here and feel sad and let you run all over us. I'm going to do something to combat your evil ways, stupid cancer. :)

I'll let the pictures share the rest of the day:

Lily thumbs up and ready to get this party started!


A few of many who came to give blood


Yeah, blood! :)


We set up a few tables with some special things to mark Elena's anniversary. One had information about joining the bone marrow registry and shared our friend, Millie's, story about trying to find a match. Eric couldn't give blood, but worked hard to talk to everyone sitting by the table about the registry and encourage them to join. And I think we got quite a few people to go sign up!

We also had pictures of Elena from the last two years spread around.

This is our relief society president, Monica. :) Elena affectionately dubbed her "Leprechaun Lady". She couldn't give blood, but stopped in to show support and pass out gold coins.


More of our great ward members


I love these two!


Elena and our wonderful landlord, Diane, who dropped a pint of blood and then stayed all day and helped us.


Yay for a great day!


Elena and Aunt Julie


Elena and the blood collection staff. Thanks everyone!

10 comments:

Amy said...

Love all those photos! This post brought me close to tears! You look so great, Briana!

Kendra Owens said...

I wish I could have made it. I woke up sick that day.

Liz said...

What a great thing you did! I'm glad I was able to be a part of something big. Elena looks so good!

Ashley Elliott Photography said...

Elena's hair is looking adorable as are you mrs skinny lady! So glad the drive was a success. It amazes me what you guys have gone through the last two years. I would never forget anyway but I always remember since it was right about the time I had Lucy. I think and pray for you guys all the time. Go Elena!

Ashley Elliott Photography said...

ps- I've just noticed how much Lily is looking like you, she is such a lovely girl!

Amy said...

I just feel like such a dirtbag. I'm really glad you guys did this and I promise to give blood next time I can! We love you. Sorry we're not always as supportive as we should/want to be. :)

Christy said...

YAY! it's so fun to see the pictures and hear that it was a SUCCESS! you guys are awesome. best hair awards go to julie and elena. i can't believe how short/long their hair is respectively! awesome.

Chelsie said...

I'm so mad at myself! We planned on being there, we had some family things going on that day and we just crashed afterwards and I completely spaced it!

You guys are so amazing for doing this every year.

Piano Mom said...

Awesome activity celebration! I need to do one of these. Someday I'll enlist in your help.

Briana, YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!!!

lea said...

I especially like Erics pose behind leprechaun lady...so funny!

I am SO HAPPY for you guys finding this job, but so SAD for me that you are gone. I have always enjoyed our visits...however rare! I wanted to wish you guys the best of luck in all you do! Id love to hear how you like the docs and hospital "down there"...I hope you are all doing well!

Lea

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing
by Eric Hoffman 12/23/06